24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

My credit dropped a little once I paid my car off. Took about a month to see it on my reports tho.

Since we don't have a personal finance thread, I'll post here. I'm looking to get involved with investing. Plan to start off with something small like Acorns (or a similar app) for now. Any suggestions on getting started? Also looking for referral codes if you guys have them. Might as well benefit each other.

Great idea; I'm interested in this as well!

I just paid my car loan off how long until I see result on credit score?

My credit dropped a little once I paid my car off. Took about a month to see it on my reports tho.

Since we don't have a personal finance thread, I'll post here. I'm looking to get involved with investing. Plan to start off with something small like Acorns (or a similar app) for now. Any suggestions on getting started? Also looking for referral codes if you guys have them. Might as well benefit each other.

Official Stock Thread papi

Check out the official personal finances thread, some good stuff in there: http://niketalk.com/t/626991/nt-official-personal-finances-thread

For anyone with the original Chase Freedom: did you notice that Amazon purchases aren't included in next quarter's 5% bonus categories?

Last edited:
Randomly checked my CScore yesterday thinking it would be in the mid 700s since I've taken out loans to go back to school and...

Surprisingly, I was back in the 800 club.

My Equifax score just went up 95 points, but Transunion stayed the same. Is that normal? I have a collection on there that I haven't cleared up, but it still went up.

Did a CLI request with Discover last week and got hit with the 7-10 days message, figured I was getting nothing. Just got an email that I got bumped from 7k to 10k. Not a bad way to start the birthday weekend. :smokin

5 months with my CC and i got a fraudulent charge of $1500 at a nordstrom. They acted upon it quick with texts and calls. Kind of curious how they stole the info.

I just got approved for the gold card, I honestly haven't traveled that much, but looking to change that in the near future. The annual fee is 0$ first year, than 195$, how hard is it to get them to waive the first fee? Also, I see If I spend 1,000$ in the first 3 months I receive 25,000 rewards. Now to my question, this is currently my only airline geared card, is it worth to keep long term? Appreciate any feedback regarding this.

I just got approved for the gold card, I honestly haven't traveled that much, but looking to change that in the near future. The annual fee is 0$ first year, than 195$, how hard is it to get them to waive the first fee? Also, I see If I spend 1,000$ in the first 3 months I receive 25,000 rewards. Now to my question, this is currently my only airline geared card, is it worth to keep long term? Appreciate any feedback regarding this.

There are a lot of better airline cards out there in my opinion. In signup bonus and earning rewards. The best out right now in both is probably the chase sapphire reserve

Assuming you are talking about AMEX, The Gold card isn't a good travel card. The Platinum is the Travel Card and the Gold Rewards is the overall best AMEX for people who dont travel a ton.

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll be using it mostly for the rewards. I go on like 4 trips a year so hopefully it works.

Saw this on reddit and thought of you guys.

Who on here was this? 
laugh.gif
sick.gif
mean.gif

Denied for credit card because "You have had 84 hits on your credit in the last 30 days"

Does anyone know what this means? I only applied for 2 other credit cards in the last 30 days. This is making me think someone might have stolen my identity. This sounds like a ridiculous amount.

EDIT: Credt Karma says I only have 4 hard inquiries and a credit score of: 689: Transunion 727: Equifax Doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary - no idea why the bank would say this.

RESOLVED (Apparently the idiots did a check on my address without the unit number and that was the total number of "hits" in my entire apartment complex. Granted this still seems odd but that's the explanation they gave)

What it ended up being though haha

Oh yea...Beezy & Co.

I know I have read you guys' reviews and thoughts on certain cards, but I don't want to read back through everything....

My family has a timeshare that I use all the time and I just thought that I should get a CC with flyer miles to help with the traveling aspect of it. Hotel bonuses would be cool for places that my timeshare aren't at (Wyndham/RCI covers a lot though), but can I get 1 CC to get straight miles, or do I have to get a CC for a specific airline? With that...which one is the preferred. 

I have DiscoverIT, so I don't think I could then also get the DiscoverIT Miles card if that was an option. 

I see CapitalOne Venture & VentureOne cards look good

Chase Sapphire of course I see mentioned as well. 

NerdWallet likes Chase - https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/top-credit-cards/nerdwallets-best-airline-credit-cards/

They also mention Barclays and BoA Travel cards as well. 

I have Visa/MC/Discover already...is there a good AMEX out there? I know they aren't what they used to be, but just figured I would have one of them as well or something 
laugh.gif

^ Chase Sapphire Reserve

Most airline cards aren't really that good. With the CSR, you can transfer it to any of Chase's airline partners. You don't want to be stuck with just one.

^ Chase Sapphire Reserve

Most airline cards aren't really that good. With the CSR, you can transfer it to any of Chase's airline partners. You don't want to be stuck with just one.
What Based said
Yea, I was def leaning towards a CC company's flight card and not a specific airline or something. The BoA seemed decent since I bank with them and you get the 10% bonus or whatever based on your checking and savings amounts and stuff. 

Definitely going to look more into the Chase Sapphire one though 
nthat.gif

Edit:

Now I remember that card as I look. This is the one with the $450 annual fee! 
sick.gif

Granted me and the wife have 2 weddings next year...one in Brazil and 1 in Mexico. Between the points and $300 credit on the statement and 3x dining points....it might just be worth it.....and then cancel it after a year 
laugh.gif

Maybe I will just roll preferred and not reserved 
roll.gif

Last edited:
It's $300 is airline credit per year, so first 12 months $600 worth of airline statement credits. I believe it also comes with a TSA Pre Check credit.

100K Sign up bonus points if you hit the spend. For travel it's really a no brainer. You and your wife get the card that's 200K in points and $1200 in airline credits could pay for one trip.

Back
Top Bottom