2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, everybody: Rest In Power, Willie

So they essentially pay for him next season(2025) maybe two years if they pick up his option. With Boston paying for this season isn’t bad.

Current HOF vote tracker (28.4% ballots)

98.2% - Adrian Beltre
83.5% - Todd Helton
82.6% - Joe Mauer
80.7% - Billy Wagner

74.3% - Gary Sheffield (final year)
65.1% - Carlos Beltran
65.1% - Andruw Jones
45.0% - Chase Utley
43.1% - Alex Rodriguez

Mauer should be first ballot, MVP, silver sluggers, gold gloves, either the 1 or 2 best-hitting catcher of all time.

Surprised Beltre is basically unanimous.

Mauer should be first ballot, MVP, silver sluggers, gold gloves, either the 1 or 2 best-hitting catcher of all time.

Surprised Beltre is basically unanimous.
IMO if A Jones is bein judged on his weird career split then Mauer must be as well and if so - not a first ballot HOFer. Dude was done at 30 and I still have visions in my brain of his two-hoppers to the second baseman over...and over...and over.

But yeah the three batting titles do stick out on his resume which you cannot ignore. And...concussions.

IMO if A Jones is bein judged on his weird career split then Mauer must be as well and if so - not a first ballot HOFer. Dude was done at 30 and I still have visions in my brain of his two-hoppers to the second baseman over...and over...and over.

But yeah the three batting titles do stick out on his resume which you cannot ignore. And...concussions.
I think Mauer gets a little shortchanged on the second half of his career because he moved to 1B where you expect power, but his averages were still good:

-He hit over .300 in three of the first four years after they moved to Target Field, when he was beginning the transition to first base

-His last two years in baseball, he hit .305 and .282

IMG_2413.jpeg

I think Mauer gets a little shortchanged on the second half of his career because he moved to 1B where you expect power, but his averages were still good:

-He hit over .300 in three of the first four years after they moved to Target Field, when he was beginning the transition to first base

-His last two years in baseball, he hit .305 and .282

IMG_2413.jpeg
I mean, if you want to just stick with BA then okay yes. But we know how empty a lot of those singles were, and how little the guy even got the ball off the grass in his 30s.

I am not here to rag on Mauer, dude came out of the womb swinging. But I dunno about this best overall hitting catcher ever talk now the way his career ended up. Back of baseball card comparisons don't tell the whole story obviously but when you place the meat of Mauer's statistical career against his HOF catching peers it kinda does give a little pause.

Y Berra
358 HR, 1,430 RBI, 1,175 R, .285 BA, .350 OBP, .482 SLG, 3 MVP

J Bench
389 HR, 1,376 RBI, 1,091 R, .267 BA, .345 OBP, .476 SLG, 2 MVP

C Fisk
376 HR, 1,330 RBI, 1,276 R, .269 BA, .343 OBP, .457 SLG, 0 MVP

I Rodriguez
311 HR, 1,332 RBI, 1,354 R, .296 BA, .335 OBP, .464 SLG, 1 MVP

M Piazza
427 HR, 1,335 RBI, 1,048 R, .308 BA, .377 OBP, .545 SLG, 0 MVP

J Mauer
143 HR, 923 RBI, 1,018 R, .306 BA, .388 OBP, .439 SLG, 1 MVP

I get it, he was a singles and if-fortunate doubles hitter, but he had the best by far OBP of those guys you posted and second-best average of those guys. There are more granular stats but that’s hard to not look at.

IMG_2416.gif

I’m honestly surprised he isn’t in already, and very disappointed that he likely won’t get in. He’s a 9x All-Star with 500+ HRs and is 311 hits away from 3,000 If not for his ‘91, ‘95, and ‘06 seasons he’d have hit that milestone. He deserves to be in.
Steroid speculation is keeping him out

Cooperstown needs to add a PED wing to the Hall and let all of the steroid users who are being kept out in. There could be a large asterisk sign over their wing, or simply incorporate it on to their plaques.

Not sure if everyone can view this but real good read and interview with Gary Sheffield about his last year of candidacy.

“He got absolutely railroaded.’’ - Victor Conte

Steroid speculation is keeping him out
Steroids or not, he should be in. Jon Kirk said it best many years ago: steroids don’t improve your game, they keep you healthy.

If you didn’t have good hand-eye coordination before steroids, they weren’t going to magically make you a hall of fame caliber player.

Back
Top Bottom