2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, Charlie Hustle: Rest In Power, Willie. RIP, Pete.

They have the second most WS titles. That’s what I’m judging it on.

Open discussion tho.

Change my mind?
Cardinals are definitely one of the most successful franchises, but there’s a lot of folks that weigh chips before ‘47 (before the color barrier was broken) differently. Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, and Braves, have a huge say in “second best” franchise after the Yankees, imo. Their values suggest so as well.

To DsLee DsLee 's point.

Screenshot_20230403-141224.png

Not even in the top 3rd of MLB.

Cardinals are definitely one of the most successful franchises, but there’s a lot of folks that weigh chips before ‘47 (before the color barrier was broken) differently. Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, and Braves, have a huge say in “second best” franchise after the Yankees, imo. Their values suggest so as well.

The Giants and Dodgers are from New York.

A lot of their history is 3000 miles away.

I can’t count them.

Valuation has nothing to do with the success or popularity of a team.

What you can look at is how many fans are in the crows when the Cardinals are on away games. You definitely see a lot of red everywhere they go and that doesn't happen to very many teams.

What you can look at is how many fans are in the crows when the Cardinals are on away games. You definitely see a lot of red everywhere they go and that doesn't happen to very many teams.
Great point, and you see that with Braves, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, and Blue Jays fans too.

The Giants and Dodgers are from New York.

A lot of their history is 3000 miles away.

I can’t count them.
True, but a lot/majority of their success occurred after the moves out west. Giants had the recent 3 chips in less than a decade, and all but one of the Dodgers’ titles have been in LA.

Exactly.

I just looked up St. Louis’ population - Barely 300,000.

It’s remarkable what they have been able to do in such a small market.

Great point, and you see that with Braves, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, and Blue Jays fans too.
Yep. but that's to be expected from Large market teams that have been any good.

Except for the Cubs. That team had to be coined Lovable losers to gain traction with fans that love underdogs.

Got 1 ship and poof........Out of contention faster than a fart in a fan factory.

Thanks for Contreras tho baby bears, lol.

True, but a lot/majority of their success occurred after the moves out west. Giants had the recent 3 chips in less than a decade, and all but one of the Dodgers’ titles have been in LA.

Absolutely.

But they’re still trailing the St. Louis Cardinals (while being in a Los Angeles and San Francisco).

Win more and I’ll change my mind but for now St. Louis is still number 2 on my list.

Exactly.

I just looked up St. Louis’ population - Barely 300,000.

It’s remarkable what they have been able to do in such a small market.
The problem with that 300k is that it's actually more than that. We have a city/county system.

Those numbers don't account for the county of Saint Louis, which has a population of 900K itself. (The county completely surrounds the city)

The city from south to north only takes about 20 minutes to get through. Before and after that is all county.

Also helps that KMOV broadcast on the radio all through the midwest.............and our triple A affiliate in Memphis.

We have the midwest on lock for sure.

The Chicago Cubs are truly the big embarrassment IMO.

That team has everything.

Fans, location, population, history, etc - but they’re run like the Colorado Rockies.

(I don’t hate the Cubs either btw I’m speaking objectively - I love their fans.)

Back
Top Bottom