2020-21 NBA Offseason thread: Officially a wrap

define worth anything

sabonis, adams and Reggie Jackson would be the best of last decade

they picked Sabonis and used him wrong. Partial credit. I’m speaking more towards the T fergs, huestis (he was a late pick) and all of these wings that can’t shoot but can jump out of the gym. Cameron Payne happened. Traded Brandon Clarke last year. Mitch McGary.

It happens to every team but make sure you make the right pick.

they picked Sabonis and used him wrong. Partial credit. I’m speaking more towards the T fergs, huestis (he was a late pick) and all of these wings that can’t shoot but can jump out of the gym. Cameron Payne happened. Traded Brandon Clarke last year. Mitch McGary.

It happens to every team but make sure you make the right pick.
You’re right. OKC drafts to win dunk contests :lol:

a bunch of picks and you don’t hit on them means nothing. I agree you need to increase your odds but if you miss what was it worth. That’s why I asked who was the last person OKC drafted worth anything?
They honestly haven't really had many picks since they traded away a bunch during the KD/Russ years. Bazley looks like he has some promise.

I also think basketball media/fans have a strange obsession with picks.
Just because you got hella 1st round picks does not mean you pulled a heist of a trade.

Most of those picks will be non-lottery, 20-30 range.
Remember how everyone would talk about how amazing Boston was for having all those picks? The only ones that mattered were the lottery picks.

Of course picks allow you to be flexible and give you more swings for trying to find the next draft steals but I just feel like pick swaps and protected picks 5 years down the line that will most likely land in the 20-30 range are overrated.

Draft picks are assets to me. But not all drafts are created equal and not all organizations draft and scout well. OKC is going to have all those picks, if they draft well and some of those picks end up being higher than mid to late 1st rounders, they’ll be in a good situation. They’re not a desirable market for players, so it may be tough to trade some of those picks for a top talent player who wants out of their current market if OKC isn’t a desirable destination for them.

When you stockpile picks like Boston did a few years back, you either cash in and draft potential superstar caliber guys, or you trade some that influx of picks to land a superstar top caliber player via trade. In the case of Danny Ainge, he had all those picks but was too hesitant to make that big trade. He wanted to fleece the other team in any potential trade and ultimately he never was able to make that big move to put this team over the top. Maybe you can call the Kyrie trade that big move, but that’s debatable.

Sometimes trades can be a win win and you gotta give to get. The Lakers gave up a lot for Anthony Davis given the circumstances. He didn’t want to be in New Orleans, entering the last year of his deal etc, but they made the move. New Orleans got a good return and the Lakers got a championship and have a good chance at repeating as champs.

I also think basketball media/fans have a strange obsession with picks.
Just because you got hella 1st round picks does not mean you pulled a heist of a trade.

Most of those picks will be non-lottery, 20-30 range.
Remember how everyone would talk about how amazing Boston was for having all those picks? The only ones that mattered were the lottery picks.

Of course picks allow you to be flexible and give you more swings for trying to find the next draft steals but I just feel like pick swaps and protected picks 5 years down the line that will most likely land in the 20-30 range are overrated.

I totally agree with this. All the "Oklahoma City and New Orleans are geniuses because they've amassed a whole bunch of picks" stuff is weird. I won't be impressed until they actually turn into something valuable.

I will say though that the calculus is different for a small market team like Oklahoma City as opposed to a big market like the Lakers. OKC knows that they're never going to attract big-name free agents so they're only way to get better is via the draft and trades. Their end goal isn't to have a team full of 19-23 year olds I think their ultimate goal is to tank, hope that they hit on a couple of their own top picks and then package some of these picks for star players to pair with their draft picks.

I think it's going to be interesting to look back a decade from now and see how all of these pics ended up. How many of these picks become rotation players, all-stars, etc

a bunch of picks and you don’t hit on them means nothing. I agree you need to increase your odds but if you miss what was it worth. That’s why I asked who was the last person OKC drafted worth anything?
Was gonna say Dort until I remembered he was undrafted :lol:

To be fair to OKC the best picks they’ve had lately is late lotto, they mostly been dealing with picks in the 20’s where not much is expected ...We all know what type of players they got last time they came up on high choices, which is the route they going now

Their fans should be more excited about their own picks (If the follow thru with the tank) than the ones they stacking form other teams...Those are just potential trade pieces years from now

Adams is kind of a bum anyways. And he a makes 28million next season, which is a top 40 payday , the 4th or so highest paid center according to these notes, for 10 and 9. Someone might take him (Boston?) because he's an expiring though. Agreed on OKC's picks, Presti just gets out there and pleasures himself at the number of picks but they're all going to be non lotto, borderline rotation dime a dozen players. The Josh Huestis, Andre Roberson, Mitch McGary, Perry Jones 's arent winning us a title.

We need Silver to rig us a few lotteries in the right drafts. We got downtown rebuilt, got the streetcars and public transport in place, probably 10x'd our hotel capacity the last 2 yrs, 450ms spent on the new convention center and Scissortail Park adjacent to the arena, we're ready, we're big time now

Last edited:
The picks are what they are but trading players that were once thought of as done and/or gutting other teams for other players that now they can’t get rid of speaks for itself.

Their fans should be more excited about their own picks (If the follow thru with the tank) than the ones they stacking form other teams...Those are just potential trade pieces years from now
Their own picks are definitely the best ones. Theoretically the additional ones from other teams should help you move up a bit from your own if needed, in order to get your intended target.

Glad we’re all on the same page.
OKC’s picks are way more valuable than anything they traded for.
2021 is a great year to start the tank too.

Their own picks are definitely the best ones. Theoretically the additional ones from other teams should help you move up a bit from your own if needed, in order to get your intended target.
Yea but in any decent draft, picks outside the lotto ain’t moving you up in a position to grab the impact guys, they can package a couple late joints to move to like 12 -15 or something...Teams they really move up use future 1sts that are from questionable teams

Yea but in any decent draft, picks outside the lotto ain’t moving you up in a position to grab the impact guys, they can package a couple late joints to move to like 12 -15 or something...Teams they really move up use future 1sts that are from questionable teams
The assumption is that their own pick will be in the top 10 or so. The additional picks can probably get you up a spot or two if needed.

The assumption is that their own pick will be in the top 10 or so. The additional picks can probably get you up a spot or two if needed.
O yea I see what you saying...Was thinkin you talkin bout jumping back into the lotto or moving from like 10 to 3 or something :lol:

They should probly package all the late 1st rounders to move as close to the lottery regardless, they been bad with em lately and don’t need any more Terrance Fergusons :lol: :smh:

Glad we’re all on the same page.
OKC’s picks are way more valuable than anything they traded for.
2021 is a great year to start the tank too.
For sure. This year will be janky at best with no bubble and such. It’ll be more of an * than last year honestly. Go ahead and suck it up.

I think we can officially put the "NBA ratings were down because of social justice/BLM" to rest. Ratings across the board for just about every single sport we're down this year.

It was always disingenuous as hell and only used to attack and single out the NBA when literally every league in the world, bar the WNBA, has suffered the same viewer wise

For sure. This year will be janky at best with no bubble and such. It’ll be more of an * than last year honestly. Go ahead and suck it up.

Personally, I think the main causes are:

1. Real world anxiety-cable news ratings have been through the roof with a pandemic, "social unrest" election stuff, I think people are more focused on that than the distractions of sports.

2. people got used to not watching sports at the beginning of the pandemic and they haven't come back yet

3. Spring and summer sports like the Masters, NBA and NHL playoffs, triple crown horse races, etc being played in the fall. I love the NBA, but I wasn't a huge fan of watching it in September and October.

4. There was a period when all four major sports and college football were being played at the same time which obviously hurts viewership.

Back
Top Bottom