2017 YANKEES SEASON THREAD VOL: All downhill from here

Why would Tanaka go anywhere else? The Yanks are guaranteeing him a fat pay check. I seriously doubt he'd make more elsewhere.

Yu Darvish, you garbage.

Yanks better hurry up and get a Manager before the winter meetings end.

Why would Tanaka go anywhere else? The Yanks are guaranteeing him a fat pay check. I seriously doubt he'd make more elsewhere.

Yu Darvish, you garbage.

Yanks better hurry up and get a Manager before the winter meetings end.

Tanaka already committed to finishing out his original contract. No opt-out

Tanaka already committed to finishing out his original contract. No opt-out

Yes, Im aware. Im just saying it was probably a no-brainer for him.

2018 Projected Arbitration for the Yanks:
  • Adam Warren (5.036) – $3.1MM
  • Didi Gregorius (4.159) – $9.0MM
  • Dellin Betances (4.078) – $4.4MM
  • Sonny Gray (4.061) – $6.6MM
  • Austin Romine (4.045) – $1.2MM
  • Aaron Hicks (4.041) – $2.9MM
  • Tommy Kahnle (3.015) – $1.3MM
  • Chasen Shreve (2.155) – $900K

Texas, the Yankees and Minnesota can pay the most to a young international amateur free agent as highly touted pitcher-outfielder Shohei Otani prepares to enter the market, and Major League Baseball and its Japanese counterpart have agreed to the outlines of a deal to keep the old posting system for this offseason.

The Rangers can agree to a maximum $3,535,000 signing bonus from their pool that covers July 2 through next June 15, according to figures compiled by Major League Baseball and obtained by The Associated Press. New York can pay $3.25 million and the Twins $3,245,000.

Tanaka may not have gotten more per year, but he would have gotten around what he was getting for 5-6 years.

Opt in didn’t necessarily help him

Had Yu stayed in Texas, I think they would have the track on Otani. But at this point it’s gotta be Yankees or he stays in Japan.

Spot in rotation, big market for endorsements to make up for what he’s not going to get in salary for a few years, have DH, and Tanaka is here and has been really good with younger pitchers (Severino in particular).

Had Yu stayed in Texas, I think they would have the track on Otani. But at this point it’s gotta be Yankees or he stays in Japan.

Spot in rotation, big market for endorsements to make up for what he’s not going to get in salary for a few years, have DH, and Tanaka is here and has been really good with younger pitchers (Severino in particular).

All facts

A look at our roster, we have a good amount of room, even if we re-signed CC, and got Otani

Yankees 2018.jpg

I'd let Todd Fraizer go, unless we ended up getting rid of Headley. It gives us a lot of flexibility come the trade deadline to add a big contract if we need to.

A couple things I would do.... I'd most certainly pay Didi and Betances (I know they won't with Betances).. But I would easily give Didi 5 year / $80mil now to avoid having to pay him 5 years in 2020. Also Betances, you could offer him like 4 year / $35-40mil. What it does is keeps us under luxury tax, keeps the team intact, and controls the spending a bit. But again, 0% chance they do it with Betances.... And I will be furious if they trade Betances because there isn't even a monetary reason to do so now.

Finally I would avoid doing our usual get an old player in Free Agency and stick him at DH. I'd let Ellsbury & Clint Fraizer cycle the DH spot with Sanchez getting 30 or so games. With the exception of Judge, I'd routinely give Hicks & Gardner rest to keep them fresh and healthy.

Would be okay if we traded Jordan Montgomery, but not sure with who, or for what (Assuming Otani is a Yankee)

My lineup:
Gardner - LF
Sanchez - C
Judge - RF
Didi - SS
Bird - 1B
Castro - 2B
Hicks - CF
Headley - 3B
Ellsbury - DH

Rotation:
Severino
Tanka
Gray
CC
Otani

I'll take Todd over Headley if it came down to choosing one.

I go Headley. Only have 1 year left. And gives more in every aspect but power. Maybe if Fraizer wants to go for a 1 year, but anything over that I’m not okay with paying a guy to hit .220

Back
Top Bottom