2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

Sports Illustrated's Top 100 NBA Players for 2016-17 is finished...

20. DeAndre Jordan
19. Klay Thompson
18. Al Horford
17. John Wall
16. Jimmy Butler
15. Paul Milsap
14. Kyle Lowry
13. Draymond Green
12. DeMarcus Cousins
11. LaMarcus Aldridge
10. Blake Griffin
9. Paul George
8. Anthony Davis
7. James Harden
6. Kawhi Leonard
5. Russell Westbrook
4. Chris Paul
3. Stephen Curry
2. Kevin Durant
1. LeBron James

Full list and reasoning: http://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/12/nba-top-100-player-rankings
Klay should be higher.

Said this before, but Harden has been called overrated so much that he's becoming underrated.

I don't see how you can say Harden is overrated, but have Lowry, Millsap, Horford and Aldridge a few spots behind him. I don't know what it is about Deandre, but I guess he does more for the Clippers than what I see in matchups against Memphis. I still think he struggles in the halfcourt or in a slowed down pace game.

So much has changed when it comes to how players are ranked. Some guys in the top 20 are not much better than some of their counterparts NOT in the top 20. I'll do some reading in the article to see if its a true explanation for it.

edit:

Read about his 83% around the rim. Does Jordan success solely fall on the hands of CP3's ability to lob him the ball / run the floor and get easy buckets? Not sure how the numbers were calculated, but I wonder what his % around the basket when defended / no dunks. He has improved a lot around the rim in terms of defending, though.

Good to see Marc #22 (didn't know he was #9 last year). I was anticipating him dropping even further compared to last year's ESPN's ranking just due to his injury. Same for Conley still being right outside of the top 25.

Last edited:
Real surprised Myrie ain't in the Top 20. 

I could easily see Kyrie and Lowry swapping spots. I really don't see Lowry being 12 spots better than Conley, 11 spots better than Kyrie and 7 better than Lillard :lol: . They all do a little something better than the other, but they're baiscally putting Lowry in another class of PG's.

Kyrie is hard to judge because In a vaccum Kyle Lowry is better than Kyrie, but for the Cavs Kyrie is the better choice because Lebron can just play point gaurd.

I could easily see Kyrie and Lowry swapping spots. I really don't see Lowry being 12 spots better than Conley, 11 spots better than Kyrie and 7 better than Lillard :lol: . They all do a little something better than the other, but they're baiscally putting Lowry in another class of PG's.

Wait...What does Mike Conley do better than Kyle? because I'm struggling to come up with a single thing.

Last edited:
Klay should be higher.

The entire list was horrible....outside of the top 10.

Paul George too high. Kyle Lowry too high. Al Horford too high. John Wall too low. Klay Thompson too low. DJ too high.

Top 5 is about right tough. I'd have it:

1. Bron
2. Steph
3. KD
4. Cp3
5. Kawhi
6. AD
7. Russy
8. Blake
9. Harden
10. Wall

That is gospel. The absolute list :pimp:

I'm not high on Lowry. Wall & Kyrie >>>> Lowry. Dame better too.

And Wall going to show the doubters this year...#WallStar

Que the Shy Glizzy joint :smokin

Okay.

Kyrie is tough for me because personally I think if he is your starting PG, with no Lebron you doomed to mediocrity. Cannibalizes the offense. IMO it was pretty clear Team USA was better with Lowry at PG than Kyrie at the olympics.

Last edited:
Okay.

Kyrie is tough for me because personally I think if he is your starting PG, with no Lebron you doomed to mediocrity. Cannibalizes the offense. IMO it was pretty clear Team USA was better with Lowry at PG than Kyrie at the olympics.
Agreed. Kyrie is in a perfect situation with LeBron being able to do all of his PG duties. 

Okay.

I agree. But situations have to be taken into effect.

Kyrie is hard to judge because In a vaccum Kyle Lowry is better than Kyrie, but for the Cavs Kyrie is the better choice because Lebron can just play point gaurd.

Wait...What does Mike Conley do better than Kyle? because I'm struggling to come up with a single thing.

The only thing I give Lowry a true edge of Conley is his ability to score. There is nothing else that separates him from Conley. This is considering both players are healthy. I'll leave it there and don't need to explain again like I have several other times about this :lol: . Its people in here who think Conley shouldn't be considered a top 25 player, so having this conversation doesn't mean anything

The fact that Lowry was #34 last year (Conley #27) means that SI took into consideration Conley had a injury riddled season, while Lowry made an all-star game and had a career year. I'm sorry, but he's not going 20 spots up (12 higher than Mike) based off one year at the age of 30. They're much closer than that. Considering Conley is 2 years younger, I don't expect Lowry's value to continue to trend upward at this point. I fully anticipate him dropping in that ranking after this season.

Not to mention Lowry has yet to have a decent playoff year. Conley's played better than him almost every year in the playoffs against much better competition. Lowry is going up against George Hill and Goran Dragic in the first two rounds not impressive. Considering how he played, its actually pretty atrocious.

Last edited:
Harden slandering :stoneface:

Harden is going to lead the league in scoring and will be top 10 in assists. No more passing to Dwight to appease his ego, just bombs to wide open shooters late in the shot clock

I don't understand the harden love.
I feel you on cp. Not a fan but dude is as good as advertised. Harden. Nah. Dude is definitely overrated. He'll also be leading the l in turnovers again.

Back
Top Bottom