2015 XXL Freshman Lists

I feel for young fans of hip-hop these days. The selection out there is questionable (ex: this list).

Young hip hop fans dont know any better tho. Fans of this genre dont look up the past greats, listen to their music unless they hear it somewhere else and are interested enough in giving it a try. Its sad actually. But I also feel bad for older heads not giving these younger guys a shot cause they feel they wont compare to their eras nostalgic rappers. I feel if ppl were more willing to listen to past & present hip hop, the genre would be in a better place. Close minded on both sides of the coin however :smh:

Young hip hop fans dont know any better tho. Fans of this genre dont look up the past greats, listen to their music unless they hear it somewhere else and are interested enough in giving it a try. Its sad actually. But I also feel bad for older heads not giving these younger guys a shot cause they feel they wont compare to their eras nostalgic rappers. I feel if ppl were more willing to listen to past & present hip hop, the genre would be in a better place. Close minded on both sides of the coin however :smh:

Exactly. Prime example, YouTube comments on older hip-hop tracks. You'll see a lot of "Wow, I never heard this song. I should've learned about this song a long time ago" references.
It's amazing how so many young people (and older) have cellphone and internet access, but still act like their in the dark. Using the tool for all the wrong reasons.

Exactly. Prime example, YouTube comments on older hip-hop tracks. You'll see a lot of "Wow, I never heard this song. I should've learned about this song a long time ago" references.
It's amazing how so many young people (and older) have cellphone and internet access, but still act like their in the dark. Using the tool for all the wrong reasons.

Yup exactly. I got into listening to music at a late age actually. Like 12 cause I liked the songs on GTA San Andreas (still my fav game all time btw lol) and it made me wanna listen to the older stuff so I did. It helped that my step brother & my uncles listened to all that older stuff so I recognized the songs and artists instantly when I heard them. Got into the present, at that time stuff at least thru my friends. The internet has basically everything, ppl are either just too lazy or dumb to know where to look for music. I know a guy at my job who loves hip hop but stopped listening to it in the early 2000s. I put him on to some newer artists and he enjoyed it. Theres a generational gap in hip hop fans bigger than any other genre

Last edited:
Yup exactly. I got into listening to music at a late age actually. Like 12 cause I liked the songs on GTA San Andreas (still my fav game all time btw lol) and it made me wanna listen to the older stuff so I did. It helped that my step brother & my uncles listened to all that older stuff so I recognized the songs and artists instantly when I heard them. Got into the present, at that time stuff at least thru my friends. The internet has basically everything, ppl are either just too lazy or dumb to know where to look for music. I know a guy at my job who loves hip hop but stopped listening to it in the early 2000s. I put him on to some newer artists and he enjoyed it. Theres a generational gap in hip hop fans bigger than any other genre

Yea. I'm 27. My uncle was a DJ so, I had an edge too. I think every artist has his place in music. We just need balance. Hip Hop was based off partying and current affairs. You can have fun party, act reckless, but be conscious also. That's all we need. Everyone can't be uptight.

Yea. I'm 27. My uncle was a DJ so, I had an edge too. I think every artist has his place in music. We just need balance. Hip Hop was based off partying and current affairs. You can have fun party, act reckless, but be conscious also. That's all we need. Everyone can't be uptight.

That's key in being exposed to music early on. My dad had managed this up coming rap/R&B group in '94, and from 99-01 he was working with independent artists as well, so I basically grew up on rap/hip hop (along with Motown). Seeing youtube comments on early videos and just the feel and comments from younger crowds is down right embarrassing sometimes. It really does suck going forward that the backbone of the younger generations knowledge of hip hop starts with Young Money/Rich Gang.

I thank God I had a brother that was 12 years older than me growing up. Listened to so much great music as a child.

Very funny responses in here about Kidd Kidd.

Everyone has an argument to be on that list, really. Getting up on GoldLinks music.

I don't understand how Rapsody is not on there. She's the only feature on "To Pimp a Butterfly" and is 9th Wonder's artist. Unbelievable. Who runs XXL?! Swap Kidd Kidd out for Rapsody.

I feel for young fans of hip-hop these days. The selection out there is questionable (ex: this list).
Young hip hop fans dont know any better tho. Fans of this genre dont look up the past greats, listen to their music unless they hear it somewhere else and are interested enough in giving it a try. Its sad actually. But I also feel bad for older heads not giving these younger guys a shot cause they feel they wont compare to their eras nostalgic rappers. I feel if ppl were more willing to listen to past & present hip hop, the genre would be in a better place. Close minded on both sides of the coin however
mean.gif
I'm considered old by NT standards and I listen to a lot of young cats.  You kind of have to if you're still into hip-hop b/c all the old greats aren't really making music anymore or they're well past their prime.  

That said, I choose to listen to cats who aren't flash-in-the-pan artists.  Give it 3-4 years and you won't be hearing from half of this list.  The problem with hip-hop now is that you have to sift through so much BS to find actual quality, lasting music from this new generation.  It's out there for sure--it just isn't as accessible as it once was, which is ironic because with the internet we now have easier access to music than ever before. 

Didn't start voluntarily listening to hip hop till about 2011

I hate the radio with all my heart and soul so find artist I listen to through features and I've been good money doing that method so far

As far as listening to older rap i have a lotta homework to do but I think I'm headed in the right direction

Young hip hop fans dont know any better tho. Fans of this genre dont look up the past greats, listen to their music unless they hear it somewhere else and are interested enough in giving it a try. Its sad actually. But I also feel bad for older heads not giving these younger guys a shot cause they feel they wont compare to their eras nostalgic rappers. I feel if ppl were more willing to listen to past

I'm considered old by NT standards and I listen to a lot of young cats.  You kind of have to if you're still into hip-hop b/c all the old greats aren't really making music anymore or they're well past their prime.  

That said, I choose to listen to cats who aren't flash-in-the-pan artists.  Give it 3-4 years and you won't be hearing from half of this list.  The problem with hip-hop now is that you have to sift through so much BS to find actual quality, lasting music from this new generation.  It's out there for sure--it just isn't as accessible as it once was, which is ironic because with the internet we now have easier access to music than ever before. 

So much truth in that.

trash. vince staples probs the nicest on the list. fetty posture is wierd, pervy like i guess. Dej Loaf good at what she do, so is OG Maco. Never heard the rest of them except for uncle grandpa(kidd kidd). Once again tho, only person I'm sort of checkin for is Staples

Back
Top Bottom