2015-2016 NBA Regular Season - MDA to HOU - All-NBA - Harden snubbed - Anthony Davis is broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several years too late for Memphis to add a backup guard. That window has closed and probably needs to be replaced at this point. Imagine how mad Rio is going to be seeing Tony Allen as a starting "shooting guard" while he comes off the bench to back him up.
#Analytics
#Hollinger

This is so wrong. So wrong!

Memphis is off to a bad start but this is the same damn team that could have made that Tun last year had it not been for Playoff injuries.

Lets not act like some window has closed 5 games in. We can do that after ASB.

I'm not going off of 5 games, i'm going back to when they burst onto the scene as a contender several years ago and refused to have a decent backup behind Conley. I just always felt that they were a backup point guard away, even though perimeter scoring was lacking. They would look good and then you had Gilbert Arenas, Bayless, Calathes, Udrich and whoever else coming off the bench and the entire dyanamic of the team would change. Heck in the game Conley got injured in the playoffs last year, Gasol and Z-bo were bringing the ball up the court while Beno and Calathes were on the bench.

Last edited:
So, basically the Warriors suppose to have been the Grizz right now.

What a time.

Rr6o2TX.gif

I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to convey: but even with clarification I can't agree the window for adding a backup Guard has closed

I'm not going off of 5 games, i'm going back to when they burst onto the scene as a contender several years ago and refused to have a decent backup behind Conley. I just always felt that they were a backup point guard away, even though perimeter scoring was lacking. They would look good and then you had Gilbert Arenas, Bayless, Calathes, Udrich and whoever else coming off the bench and the entire dyanamic of the team would change. Heck in the game Conley got injured in the playoffs last year, Gasol and Z-bo were bringing the ball up the court while Beno and Calathes were on the bench.

This would've been correct prior to the 2013-14 season. Beno and Calathes were serviceable backups for the team. It wasn't their fault the team lost in the playoffs, but more so of the fact we lacked another scorer. A backup PG was not the difference between us beating the Warriors last year or even beating OKC the year before that. A healthy group and Zbo not being suspended in Game 7 would have at least made things a lot more interesting.

Backup PG's are not going to be the savior of a team. Beno was serviceable, but he sucked defensively. Beno was one of the reasons we beat Portland in that series before he got hurt. Calathes was also serviceable, but he couldn't shoot. Not to mention Lee played some backup as well. We were fine over the last two years at backup PG, but we still lacked a true perimeter scorer outside of Conley. Now, when we was out there playing Gilbert Arenas and OJ Mayo at backup PG, you had a legit arrgument. :lol:

At the end of the day, Chalmers is no more of a "true backup PG" than Beno was. He's just better defensively and I still don't trust him to run the offense in the 2nd unit. I guarantee you Jeff Green will still play the point forward role as he's been doing this year. This is another reason why I didn't understand the trade.

Last edited:
if kobe plays in 2016 he's a true american hero 

going to be the real life version of rocky balboa 

kobe vs father time

smivandrago.gif

kobe :frown:

ivan-drago-o.gif

kobe :smokin

kobe byke

VgQd4e1.gif

Last edited:
Even in 2010-11, we had Vasquez but moved him for Pondexter. The only two years we truly struggled at backup PG was 2011-12 (Jeremy Pargo / Gilbert Arenas) and 2012-13 (Bayless).

Last edited:
What's hilarious is that Lionel Hollins wanted Steph Curry in the 2009 draft. Majority owner Heisley (RIP) at the time wanted Thabeet.

Hollins also wanted the Grizz to draft Draymond Green in 2012, but Chris Wallace wanted Tony Wroten.

We also could've traded Rudy Gay for Harrison Barnes originally.

What a time.

What a time.

Rr6o2TX.gif

:rofl:

What does renouncing arenas in 2015 mean?

Here's the simplest explanation for renouncing rights:

There are all sorts of cap holds but the ones you're talking about are sometimes called "free agent cap holds." Any player that a team has rights to, like "Bird Rights" or "Early Bird" rights, is assigned a value based on their last contract. That's the "hold" you see. It is only counted against the salary cap, not the luxury tax. Rights don't go away on their own so when a player retires (or can't find a new team) the last team that had them under contract can theoretically hold those rights until they die.

A team can renounce their rights to the player and the hold goes away. You have to file paperwork to do this. If your active contracts are already over the cap there's no reason to do this so teams just don't file the paperwork and the holds don't go away. There is a tiny value in having them that in certain circumstances it's actually better to stay over the cap instead of temporarily going under so teams keep them just in case, and because no one likes doing paperwork they don't have to.

If the Celtics go under the cap this offseason and want to sign a free agent they'll just file the paperwork to renounce the holds and they'll all disappear that day.

Basically, renouncing a player gets rid of a cap hold. Teams only renounce rights when they're under the cap so they can free up space to sign players. The Celtics recently renounced a bunch of random players from a long time ago, like Shaq, Marbury, Dana Barros, Scott Pollard, Michael Olowokandi (yes lol), etc. They were a luxury tax team for years (with the Big 3 and others), so it didn't matter, as if they ever wanted to re-sign one of those players they could go over the cap (thanks to Bird Rights). This year, they wanted to sign Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko, and they were under the salary cap, so they renounced a bunch of players to get rid of those cap holds.

Just watched Kawhi's highlights. They are :pimp:

This is the first time in his whole career that Duncan wasn't arguably considered the best player on the Spurs. Torch has been passed. Worthy successor

Last edited:
Nene flexes on young Butler and raised his hand like he was gonna swing. Teague hits a man in the face and I've heard nothing yet. Suspend that man. Nene missed a playoff game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom