Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-60

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
One other caveat I forgot, Gasol.

If we miss the top 5 pick, get the 27th pick from Hou, and miss Gasol, that completely alters everything I laid out.

That's why keeping that top 5 is so important. Gives us margin for error. (Like Nick Young :lol: )

Have to alter as often as Mitch does.

I never, ever, ever would have got Lin, Young, and Hill in any of my goals/ideas.

I also never envisioned him getting Nash, Meeks, Jamison, or Clark. (We all knew Dwight would land with us)

But Mitch did, so I have to adjust what I hope for vs what he's doing.

The point wasn't even that Shaq left guys in their prime, it was that he didn't leave 30+ mil on the table like KD would have to if he left OKC+ having to leave a much better situation than he would be coming to. We actually paid him a lot more than ORL, you do know that right?

Of course it's all contingent on whether we're able to get someone, which you seem so confident we'll be able to do, but the question is why? Why would logically any star want to come to LA at that point? We're not going to be the only ones with cap space next summer or 2016.

It's quite possible that we do become what ORL is right now, do they not have what looks to be a nice young core but no real difference maker, because that's essentially what you're laying out if no Gasol, no Love, no KD, or (insert star) comes here. They are going to be entering year 3 of the post-Dwight rebuild with draft picks galore and don't look to be any closer to the playoffs at all in the weaker conference.

If we do miss out on Gasol, why not just keep tanking, why not keep tanking for more cheap assets? Just keep stacking lotto picks until somebody decides to come, I'm sure at that point a perennial loser will look so attractive.

Last edited:
g2q1dKc.jpg

The point wasn't even that Shaq left guys in their prime, it was that he didn't leave 30+ mil on the table like KD would have to if he left OKC+ having to leave a much better situation than he would be coming to. We actually paid him a lot more than ORL, you do know that right?

Of course it's all contingent on whether we're able to get someone, which you seem so confident we'll be able to do, but the question is why? Why would logically any star want to come to LA at that point? We're not going to be the only ones with cap space next summer or 2016.

It's quite possible that we do become what ORL is right now, do they not have what looks to be a nice young core but no real difference maker, because that's essentially what you're laying out if no Gasol, no Love, no KD, or (insert star) comes here. They are going to be entering year 3 of the post-Dwight rebuild with draft picks galore and don't look to be any closer to the playoffs at all in the weaker conference.

If we do miss out on Gasol, why not just keep tanking, why not keep tanking for more cheap assets? Just keep stacking lotto picks until somebody decides to come, I'm sure at that point a perennial loser will look so attractive.

Shaq was offered 115 million by Orlando as a “known” report. There was also a rumor that the Magic had upped their offer to 130 million. And that’s from an article in 1996, not 20/20 hindsight either. So I wouldn’t go with “we paid him a lot more”. He was getting the biggest contract in the NBA no matter who he signed with. He might have even turned down money if that 130 offer is real. And Durant, like Dwight, isn’t really leaving behind 30 mil. He still gets paid in the following season, it’s merely the gamble of him not sustaining a career ending injury beforehand is all.

Why would I feel confident we can get someone? All depends on the sales pitch. For one, Kobe is gone. No more shadows. I’m not sure what’s going on with you, but you falling apart saying LA is doomed, and Minnesota, and all that, why would anyone want to come to LA ever again, and all that, you gotta stop. Sound like a girl with a skinned knee & ****. Regardless of being down for 3-4 years, we still have the money, the history, the culture, the fanbase, the market, and in this plan, a nice young core to use. Nike might like the idea of LA over OKC. If the Thunder don’t win anything, he will have been with Russ and Ibaka since 2008, and still no ring? Their best days will be behind them, not ahead of them. Maybe he sees a young team on the rise (like Shaq, like LeBron) and he joins. Maybe LA offers to pay Kevin Ollie 40 million dollars to come be his preferred coach. Maybe LA sells him that when we get a title team built, we will spend into the luxury tax to seal the deal and win titles, something OKC will not do. (please look into the rumors about the Heat, and Riley not paying into the luxury tax enough, and bring LeBron enough help in 2014, even tho they were coming off back to back titles as something that bothered LeBron) Again, it’s all a selling point. Maybe Durant bites, maybe he doesn’t. We’ll find out in 2 years.

Please, just stop with the we’re going to become Orlando or Milwaukee or whoever. You should know better than that. What the hell is happening to you? Melo turned us down, but it shows you that LA will still make the offers to the big named stars. Maybe Melo says yes, if we had 2 lotto picks + 2-3 other nice young pieces + a 2nd tier guy in Marc Gasol. Right? Melo said no, because at this moment, it’s just Kobe and Randle, and there’s not really a difference. Get the core built back up underneath, and you’ll attract the big fish.

No reason to tank in 2016, the pick eventually has to go to the Suns. So if we get lucky and keep the 2015, it just rolls over to 2016. And our 2017 is owed to the Magic. So no reason to continue tanking. Which we’ve been saying for over a year now. 2014 was easy tank. 2015 is a “necessary” tank if we didn’t land a LeBron/Melo/Love type deal during this offseason.

Saw this on my guide. Do you remember what any of them were?

10. The trade for Big shot Bob
9. The trade for Pau
8. The deal that got us the number one pick for James Worthy
7. Pat Riley becoming coach.
6. The deal for Phil.
5. The deal for Kareem
4. The deal for Shaq
3. The deal for Kobe
2. The Coin flip for Magic
1. Dr buss buying the lakers

Saw this on my guide. Do you remember what any of them were?

10. The trade for Big shot Bob
9. The trade for Pau
8. The deal that got us the number one pick for James Worthy
7. Pat Riley becoming coach.
6. The deal for Phil.
5. The deal for Kareem
4. The deal for Shaq
3. The deal for Kobe
2. The Coin flip for Magic
1. Dr buss buying the lakers

ooooohhhh, I like. That's a pretty good list right there.

Entertaining show.

Good memories.

Missing Dr. Buss...the way they talked about him at the end....Sad man.

I never knew the deal for the lakers was really a small cash deal but a huge property deal. Dr. Buss had to get the deed to some huge building in NY. He traded that and got the right to Lakers, GWF and Kings. Then he was the first to do a TV deal for home games which had never been done.

Magic talked about how Dr. Buss would take bums off the street and put them up in his apt. buildings rent free just as long as they went to school. He said people would write Dr. Buss and tell him about kids needing money for college and he would pay the full tuition for all 4 years...Man Dr. Buss was that dude.

Last edited:
I know this is a lakers thread but watch this entire video...you might be a little surprised who made an appearance... It's a great video regardless

[\video]

Jeter Vid...wow. I watched it on a smaller screen so one of the first guys tipping his hat I thought was Keith Sweat :lol:

CP / P / Essential / Darth or anyone - Question for you guys. I read that the Bulls tried to S&T for Pau using MDJ and picks but Mitch and co. refused. I guess Boozer was also out of the question too. Any detail/truth to this? I'm just curious because ideally we would have liked to have kept our ability to have the MLE or BAE with a sign and trade. Thanks.

CP / P / Essential / Darth or anyone - Question for you guys. I read that the Bulls tried to S&T for Pau using MDJ and picks but Mitch and co. refused. I guess Boozer was also out of the question too. Any detail/truth to this? I'm just curious because ideally we would have liked to have kept our ability to have the MLE or BAE with a sign and trade. Thanks.

Yes and No

The problem with taking Boozer is that it would have prevented keeping Nick Young & Jordan Hill. Who were both kept because are fan favorites, and easy trade bait. And even if they could keep Young & Hill, couldn't get someone else if they had Boozer. Currently Lakers have the ability to get someone anywhere between $6mil-10mil depending on how they maneuver the cap, including a stretch of Nash.

The picks part, no because that would have gotten them to take on Mike Dunlevy Jr. who they could have traded later for picks, and would have little impact to them. Without picks it served little incentive, when they can go out and get someone else that they want for cheap.

Last edited:

Mitch has been the stall every single time it came to trading Pau. He wanted too much from Cleveland, too much from Phoenix, too much from Chicago apparently, he flat out wouldn't sell the guy off when it was clear Pau wanted to go.

It's not the first time Mitch has stalled out trades with guys we have no use for. And it certainly will be overlooked by our fanbase that he swore he was keeping Pau at the deadline so we could benefit from having his bird rights and sign and trade flexibility in the offseason.

Lo and behold........ :smh:

Yes and No

The problem with taking Boozer is that it would have prevented keeping Nick Young & Jordan Hill. Who were both kept because are fan favorites, and easy trade bait. And even if they could keep Young & Hill, couldn't get someone else if they had Boozer. Currently Lakers have the ability to get someone anywhere between $6mil-10mil depending on how they maneuver the cap, including a stretch of Nash.

The picks part, no because that would have gotten them to take on Mike Dunlevy Jr. who they could have traded later for picks, and would have little impact to them. Without picks it served little incentive, when they can go out and get someone else that they want for cheap.

Thanks for the detail; this makes total sense from the Lakers perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom