2013 NBA Summer League Thread (Orlando Starts 7/7 9 AM)

The best players have elite athleticism and a good skill set, Larry bird epitomizes how far a skill set and size can take you but most of the great players of all time were elite athletes

Skill sets can be gained through entensive practice athleticism cannot

most of the greatest players of all time had high basketball IQ as well though, to say youd rather have athleticism is blaspehmy

Yea i get you there are other things behind being great such as ball iq

But if i didnt have size or ball iq id rather have athleticism over a skill set for the fact that you can practice and gain a skill set

Maybe that's why the quality of basketball being played these days isn't what it once was.

AAU culture got people thinking that skill set isn't important.

I hope yall dont think im hard headed i hear what yall are saying and i get it, a skill set is def important but what im saying is i rather come in with just athleticism and train for a skill set then come in with a nasty skill set and no athleticism

Paul George epitomizes what im saying perfectly dude skill set was cheeks yet has athleticism and came to gain some skills and now hes on the doorstep to being elite

Last edited:
Want the perfect example of all this.

Blake Griffen.

Dudes a high flyer and fun to watch during the reg season.

And when it matters he gets eaten alive on both ends by Zach Randolph, someone who couldnt jump over a piece of paper.

Skill set > Athletes.

Good point but look at it like this Griffin's ceiling is higher than Randolphs ever was

And he can easily become elite if he puts in the work to get some skills

Team Athleticism :smokin

Lol ima stop but some of yall make good points, Javale Mcgee is a good player tho

Last edited:
You can post examples on either side though. Luke Jackson had a skillset, Gansey, Pittsnogle, Rig'a'deau, Krauser, McNamera, but where are they at? And that's not counting scores of skilled big men who can't be athletic because they can't keep their weight in shape

No point in making all these generalizations like athlete> skill set or vice versa. A combination of many things are needed to be an exceptional player in any era

Athleticism will get you in the league but if you don't improve your skill set your *** will be out the league in no time

Unless you're a 7 footer...cause those dont grow on trees so teams will keep giving you chances

He's not an ELITE athlete, but he is extremely athletic, especially for being 7 feet tall.

I'm not just throwing out the "white guys aren't athletic" stereotype. I meant that in the context of his low release on every shot, the fact that he has such a low jump might end up being a problem.

7ft is 7ft though.

Lamb with 18 in the 1st half :pimp:

Nice nice.. Like what I'm seeing/seen from a lot of guys on our summer league squad

Especially the 3 rookies from this past draft, to go with lamb and Jackson.. And Orton before getting hurt

Last edited:
Lamb and Reggie must have a private scoring bet.

Lamb could have gotten it easily.. Took the pedal off the gas in the 4th

We still need a another good 3 point shooting wing for the end of the bench, as an insurance policy.. Since whoever will hardly get playing time

Just hope Stevens can develop quickly.. But Orton was looking good before his injury, so hopefully he supplements thabeet

Ick....Arnett Moultrie is so bad now.

I only watched the first half but Kazemi was all over the place making plays.

Back
Top Bottom