2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

Like it's kind of been touched on, you definitely have to look at facilities and athletic depts/their commitment to football, recruiting base & competition, etc aside from just where a program stands with results and W/L potential. You can kind of group those jobs together based on which are most desirable. Easy to put UK last though. :lol:
Related question...anyone have an idea what analysts, say Monday Night Football/ESPN gigs earn? I don't know if Gruden has any interest in coaching college, you hear his name thrown around and I wonder if it'd be worth it to be in the year-round grind of college football & recruiting. Some school could probably throw a boatload of money at him.

He makes like 4+ mil a year

You put Charlie Strong or somebody like that @ Arky and they would be a Problem. Arky has the $ & support to compete w/ anyone if you get the right man @ the head.
Yup. $$ is not a problem and the AD was given the green light to spend whatever it took to get the job done. As many have mentioned, if you can get a good recruiter there, they will compete.

Names that I'm hearing:

Arkansas natives - Charlie Strong, Tubbs, Butch Davis(fallback).......Gus Malzahn (unlikely)
Outside of them - Mike Gundy, Gary Patterson, Chris Petersen.

Even with an open checkbook, don't think the Arkansas AD wants to get into a pissing contest with Boone Pickens so you can take Gundy off your list. Don't think Patterson goes, and I doubt Peterson leaves for anything outside of the Pacific Northwest.

Even with an open checkbook, don't think the Arkansas AD wants to get into a pissing contest with Boone Pickens so you can take Gundy off your list. Don't think Patterson goes, and I doubt Peterson leaves for anything outside of the Pacific Northwest.
From what I had heard, it wasn't us necessarily going after Gundy, rather Gundy wanting out of Oklahoma State. Petersen is one of those that you give a courtesy call too. The wildcard in the entire Arkansas head coach search is Jerry Jones. BOT would be willing to approve someone as the highest paid in the country(prior to Saban's clause), but it'd be stupid to offer that type of $.

I hope Charlie is the man personally.

is johnny manzeil in your heisman discussion?

hoping A&M and UT get together for the cotton bowl :pimp:

If Johnny can somehow upset bama this weekend and do damnage, he's going to NYC imo.

But that aint happening so..yeah

these Louisville fans are naive as hell... i haven't heard a single one admit that Strong could leave.

$$ ain't a problem at UK, they just can't afford to miss. We need a big name or a system guy.

If Johnny can somehow upset bama this weekend and do damnage, he's going to NYC imo.
I don't even see why he needs to upset Bama to get an invite up there...sure it would certainly help his cause, but I honestly don't see why so many are saying it like it's a requirement. As long as he puts up decent numbers I think he'll be on the edge as that 5th guy.

TAMU just offered Kam Miles today. Sounds like it's only a matter of time until he switches over from Tennessee...

I don't even see why he needs to upset Bama to get an invite up there...sure it would certainly help his cause, but I honestly don't see why so many are saying it like it's a requirement. As long as he puts up decent numbers I think he'll be on the edge as that 5th guy.

TAMU just offered Kam Miles today. Sounds like it's only a matter of time until he switches over from Tennessee...
I know you're happy A&M has been playing well.....so used to you be being depressed around this time of the year 
laugh.gif

these Louisville fans are naive as hell... i haven't heard a single one admit that Strong could leave.

$$ ain't a problem at UK, they just can't afford to miss. We need a big name or a system guy.

i wouldn't mind if you guys wanted to take mack brown. dude has all of the qualities you're looking for.

1) big name, national title under his belt.

2) system guy......check. the only system he knows is mediocrity, or only doing enough to make a bowl appearance. that alone should get y'all 3 or 4 more wins a season.

make him a huge offer, please.

Last edited:

tebow's heisman season: 234/350 3286 yards 32 TDs 6 INTs 210 rushes for 895 yards 23 TDs
cams heisman season: 185/280 2854 yards 30 TDs 7 INTs 264 rushes for 1473 yards 20 TDs

johnny's current season: 203/305 2527 yards 16 TDs 6 INTs 138 rushes for 922 yards 15 TDs
collin klein's current season: 133/187 1875 yards 12 TDs 2 INTs 139 rushes for 698 yards 17 TDs

I know you're happy A&M has been playing well.....so used to you be being depressed around this time of the year :lol:
I don't really know what to with myself :lol: I finally have something to legitimately look forward to throughout the week :lol:

which big name is going to leave its job for UK? fine throw big $$ you still need to fix everything else for the football team and upgrade stuff. with the big jobs that will be open UK is going to be last on anyones list
Cal has to be the least desirable.
cummmm NO that would be BC or colorado. cal is a good job, just look at the talent they recruit now. cal is like UCLA football u just need the right coach to turn it around.  

which big name is going to leave its job for UK? fine throw big $$ you still need to fix everything else for the football team and upgrade stuff. with the big jobs that will be open UK is going to be last on anyones list

I'm not saying anyone "big" is going to come to Lexington... i'm just saying that it's going to take a name that can recruit itself to be successful at UK, or a system with replacement parts. there's ZERO in state talent, going south you're just getting the rest of the entire SEC's leftovers, going north you're competing with OSU and the rest of the big ten. all UK fans want is to win 6-7 games, go to a bowl, and at least be competetive having the chance to pull off the occasional upset. when Rich Brooks was doing just that, Kentucky fans were filling up the stadium at 68,000+ and setting Music City Bowl attendance records... so the "no one cares" statement is wrong. there's no pro teams here... it's all Kentucky. Lexington isn't a college town, Kentucky is a college state. we ain't stupid, we know what we are... just want it to be fun again.

Randall Cobb didn't come to UK because he wanted to.

tebow's heisman season: 234/350 3286 yards 32 TDs 6 INTs 210 rushes for 895 yards 23 TDs
cams heisman season: 185/280 2854 yards 30 TDs 7 INTs 264 rushes for 1473 yards 20 TDs
johnny's current season: 203/305 2527 yards 16 TDs 6 INTs 138 rushes for 922 yards 15 TDs
collin klein's current season: 133/187 1875 yards 12 TDs 2 INTs 139 rushes for 698 yards 17 TDs

How dare you post facts!!!

I like Colin Klein, but his numbers are faaaaaaaaaaaar from being Heisman worthy, really underwhelming. 17 rushing td's is easy to do when calling your own number in the red zone. When put against Manziel's, makes them look pretty bad.

That being said, the Heisman is a ******g toss up this year. Manziel doesn't have the big game wins, it's why he isn't getting no love and why Barkley fell off the face of the earth despite gaudy passing numbers.

Manziel being a RS freshman might have something to do with him not getting much love too. I know things have changed quite a bit in the last few years in regards to acknowledging underclassmen, but I think they'll still try to stay away from putting an underclassman in there for as long as possible.

And I'm fine with that. He's already gotten more pub than any TAMU player since Reggie McNeal, and as long as he stays out of trouble on Northgate he'll be in NYC at least once before his career is over.

Last edited:
And that's just the thing, Klein has been great in his big games. Manziel not so much. You can even make a case that Mariota is having just as good of a frosh season as Manziel.

JFF, not a Heisman candidate, not this year.

Manziel being a RS freshman might have something to do with him not getting much love too. I know things have changed quite a bit in the last few years in regards to acknowledging underclassmen, but I think they'll still try to stay away from putting an underclassman in there for as long as possible.
And I'm fine with that. He's already gotten more pub than any TAMU player since Reggie McNeal, and as long as he stays out of trouble on Northgate he'll be in NYC at least once before his career is over.

I thought the same thing about my boy Marcus Lattimore after his Heisman-caliber true freshman season. Be careful.

How dare you post facts!!!
I like Colin Klein, but his numbers are faaaaaaaaaaaar from being Heisman worthy, really underwhelming. 17 rushing td's is easy to do when calling your own number in the red zone. When put against Manziel's, makes them look pretty bad.
That being said, the Heisman is a ******g toss up this year. Manziel doesn't have the big game wins, it's why he isn't getting no love and why Barkley fell off the face of the earth despite gaudy passing numbers.

If KSU ran their offense at the pace TAMU does, how do you think Klein's # would look?

And that's just the thing, Klein has been great in his big games. Manziel not so much. You can even make a case that Mariota is having just as good of a frosh season as Manziel.
Right

Rough calculations while at work: Johnny has 443 plays. Assuming Klein's breakdown of 57% pass, 43% run and his averages of 10 yds/pass and 5 yds/run...

Klein would have 253 passes for 2357 passing yards to Johnny's 2527 (Johnny passes the ball 69% of the time for 8.3 yds/pass)
Klein would have 190 runs for 950 yards to Johnny's 922 (Johnny runs 31% of the time for 6.7 yds/run)

What if Johnny played full games against the defenses Klein plays against?

And for what it's worth, I don't think Johnny should be under serious consideration for the Heisman at this point. But how often is the last guy invited to NY ever really under serious consideration? That's where I think he should fit in right now...as that last guy invited.

Last edited:

Lol. some dude got into it with JFFs friend, JFF tried to separate people and some dude swung on him. All he really did wrong was flash the fake ID lol

:rolleyes
both teams played a lot of cupcakes
only defense k state has played that's worth noting is OU.
a&m has played LSU and UF, and about to play bama.
i think if he played in the big12, those numbers would be higher

I know who TAMU and Kansas St. have played. He's played 2 defenses w/ a pulse and Klein has played one. So I'm crazy to think at this point that his numbers would be very similar to what they are right now had he remained in the B12? Ok then, I guess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom