2013 AIR JORDAN 3 RETRO BLACK CEMENT '88

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, idk what it is but smthg abt that NA on the back makes these sh*t on the ones w/ Jumpman on the back..
:rofl:

I really could care less bout the NA, only thing that makes the older ones better is the quality of the leather imo. The WC3 88's were a step up compared to the other recent drops, wonder how these will be..

This. Every older pair I've picked up (a few from the '99-01 stretch, and an original pair here and there) was for the materials, shape, and, as a pleasant surprise to me the first time I lace them up; the comfort. The Nike Air was never a big deal to me except on I's, because it means that I won't have to see that Jumpman on the heel ruining the simplicity.

1. You can't tell **** when you know nothing about me or my education. So you can chill with that. Your mama never told you that when you assume you make an *** out of you and me?

2. I'm always open for discussion. That's the purpose of an internet forum. It's not like I'm stating my opinion, calling anyone who disagrees ignorant and telling them I won't waste my time on them. I have nooooo problem admitting when I'm wrong. So hit me with some reasoning instead of a ******** cop-out response.

3. I never said they should make unlimited pairs of every shoe they ever released. If I had then I could understand your condescending response. But I didn't. I said they could up the production numbers on these, charge the same price as the 88s, still sell out and laugh all the way to the bank. 100k isn't bad but they could up it to 200-250k and still sell out within an hour. Tell me they wouldn't. And as long as they manage to at least go 5 years without releasing them again, the nostalgia factor won't be affected. **** they released them 2 years ago and even without nike air on the back it still would've sold out this time. And before that I think it was 2008 they released them and people were still anticipating them in 2011, so they don't even have to wait 5 years. I understand why they won't make it more available. Anyone who has ever purchased any limited item understands. I'M SAYING THEY COULD AND IT WOULD BE NICE IF THEY DID. That's all.
We'll then I am sorry. But yes it would be nice if they made em in GR numbers. If what Trapper is saying is correct it shouldn't be an impossible cop like the Royals.
I'm glad we came to an understanding. And yeah them royals were impossible
mean.gif
Didn't even bother trying for a pair
laugh.gif

These are straight grails with the NA on the heel. Hype train is gonna derail on this drop.
mean.gif

These are straight grails with the NA on the heel. Hype train is gonna derail on this drop.
mean.gif
you think maybe if we all started talking trash about all the releases it would deter the hype..

but i dont think anything can stop the momentum

Damn, idk what it is but smthg abt that NA on the back makes these sh*t on the ones w/ Jumpman on the back..

^& that's what a lot of young beasts will say...the ones that a few years ago said they like the jumpman better & nike air will never come back...
you know who you are

:rofl:

Same dudes that have all their rotation shoes online for the maximum tryna pass em as true NDS, same dudes that go thru all lengths & countless hours to secure a shoe RD to sell for an additional $40?

Oh the young beasts are so funny.
How many countless hours does it take to buy a shoe online?

Through the magic of sarcasm. 1 person not getting it I can understand, but two? Quise even took time to explain it already.

There are some basics that hold true for everything.

I thoroughly understand JB's and pretty much any high commodity marketing scheme:

limited availability = high demand = higher price per unit.

Simple economics.

Because JB believes less pairs = more money.

You Said: "Thats why doernbechers are so limited. Less pairs sold = more money donated to the charity."

I wasn't talking about GR Jordan's YOU said DB's which is an all proceeds to charity sneaker. How does less pairs = more money to the charity?

I understand keeping them limited so they can keep demand high for exclusive DB's. That's why pairs are gonna be $200+ for them soon. But they could easily double production for JB DB's, charge $200 and still sell out. Which means DOUBLE the money to the charity. Instead you have all these people out there paying $400-$500-$600 for pairs, when that money could have been in charity coffer instead of lining resellers pockets.

Db's shouldn't be as limited to 25k-50k pairs, when the FRV's are selling out at 250k pairs.

Last edited:

Through the magic of sarcasm. 1 person not getting it I can understand, but two? Quise even took time to explain it already.
There are some basics that hold true for everything.
I thoroughly understand JB's and pretty much any high commodity marketing scheme:

Simple economics.

You Said: "Thats why doernbechers are so limited. Less pairs sold = more money donated to the charity."

I wasn't talking about GR Jordan's YOU said DB's which is an all proceeds to charity sneaker. How does less pairs = more money to the charity?

I understand keeping them limited so they can keep demand high for exclusive DB's. That's why pairs are gonna be $200+ for them soon. But they could easily double production for JB DB's, charge $200 and still sell out. Which means DOUBLE the money to the charity. Instead you have all these people out there paying $400-$500-$600 for pairs, when that money could have been in charity coffer instead of lining resellers pockets.

Db's shouldn't be as limited to 25k-50k pairs
, when the FRV's are selling out at 250k pairs.
I already said I was being sarcastic. All of that was the point I was trying to make.

When the DB fund first started I understood it being limited. People aren't gonna buy some ugly shoes out of the goodness of their hearts.

So they made them limited to keep the interest up. But now they could up the production #s. People understand it's for a good cause and collectors aren't gonna stop collecting.

Newcomers will buy a pair just to say they have DBs
laugh.gif
. They could up the numbers on those to a good 150K and be fine.

But they won't cuz they mostly just have this charitable contribution for the positive PR and to use as a tax write off. Their marketing team really are geniuses.

Simple economics.

Db's shouldn't be as limited to 25k-50k pairs, when the FRV's are selling out at 250k pairs.

Well I said I wasnt going to get into it but you understand (tried this conversation in the Yeezy II thread. It was like explain brain surgery to kindergardemers)

Yah but like everything else trendy that is mass produced, people eventually lose interest. Where did the hype behind Air Forces go? Yes they can mass produce every shoe and still sell some at 200+ but eventually people are going to get tired of it. It will only produce short term sales. If you are thinking long term you would rather sell less now to sell more over time. It is how Chanel, LV, Fendi, Balenciaga, etc charge hundreds to housands for items of clothing and have been successful all these decades when other brands downsize. Some even disappear from the face of the earth like Mecca and Karl Kani. Those brands were just "cheap trends". A sense of exclusiveness keeps an item from being just a trend. ESPECIALLY in the fashion industry. If you have an old pair of fubu jeans do yourself a favor and burn it. If you have a classic item, like the Snow Beach Ralph Laurens, you might as well cash in if you aint using it (The Coat is going for 3k and the hoodie for $800 USED). Although exclusiveness is not the end all be all, it is a very important factor.

The most important factor is how people perceive what you are selling. In the fashion industry high availability will only kill your brand. It might happen slowly like with many of the brands I mentioned, or it could happen overnight, like when Ed Hardy made the fatal decision of being served at Wal-Mart.

Here is an example where exclusivity doesn't matter (just want to illustrate my point of brand perception) Smirnoff sells the most vodka in the U.S. by far. in the 90s (i think it was then) they lowered the price of their vodka and sales plummetted. They did research to find out why. Turns out people felt the vodka was of a lower quality and just seemed like cheap vodka. They didnt do anything to the formula. They increased the price to higher than it was before and sales skyrocketed.

Last edited:
JB knows what they are doing... They release a limited sneaker, hype goes up, resellers go
Up, and the next NON limited sneaker will come out and all the people that couldn't get the limited sneaker will buy this one, and try and be a reseller because they see the limited shoe resell for so much. Takes one limited shoe to make everyone run back and buy the next available jordan.

A few weeks ago I saw a pair of these in a store and it stopped me dead in my tracks. I thought they might be fakes, and they could still be, but they obviously had been influenced by this news.

JB knows what they are doing... They release a limited sneaker, hype goes up, resellers go
Up, and the next NON limited sneaker will come out and all the people that couldn't get the limited sneaker will buy this one, and try and be a reseller because they see the limited shoe resell for so much. Takes one limited shoe to make everyone run back and buy the next available jordan.
Exactly!

Last edited:
Favorite Air Jordan of all time. I've had 3 iterations of this shoe and beat them all into the ground. Will need 2-3 pairs this time around.

Simple economics.

Well I said I wasnt going to get into it but you understand (tried this conversation in the Yeezy II thread. It was like explain brain surgery to kindergardemers)

Yah but like everything else trendy that is mass produced, people eventually lose interest. Where did the hype behind Air Forces go? Yes they can mass produce every shoe and still sell some at 200+ but eventually people are going to get tired of it. It will only produce short term sales. If you are thinking long term you would rather sell less now to sell more over time. It is how Chanel, LV, Fendi, Balenciaga, etc charge hundreds to housands for items of clothing and have been successful all these decades when other brands downsize. Some even disappear from the face of the earth like Mecca and Karl Kani. Those brands were just "cheap trends". A sense of exclusiveness keeps an item from being just a trend. ESPECIALLY in the fashion industry. If you have an old pair of fubu jeans do yourself a favor and burn it. If you have a classic item, like the Snow Beach Ralph Laurens, you might as well cash in if you aint using it (The Coat is going for 3k and the hoodie for $800 USED). Although exclusiveness is not the end all be all, it is a very important factor.

The most important factor is how people perceive what you are selling. In the fashion industry high availability will only kill your brand. It might happen slowly like with many of the brands I mentioned, or it could happen overnight, like when Ed Hardy made the fatal decision of being served at Wal-Mart.

Here is an example where exclusivity doesn't matter (just want to illustrate my point of brand perception) Smirnoff sells the most vodka in the U.S. by far. in the 90s (i think it was then) they lowered the price of their vodka and sales plummetted. They did research to find out why. Turns out people felt the vodka was of a lower quality and just seemed like cheap vodka. They didnt do anything to the formula. They increased the price to higher than it was before and sales skyrocketed.
Boom!

My two cents, please keep the Air Force One hype underwraps.  We enjoy flying under the radar and picking our shoes up without ever needing a raffle.

A few weeks ago I saw a pair of these in a store and it stopped me dead in my tracks. I thought they might be fakes, and they could still be, but they obviously had been influenced by this news.
News broke this week. Do you think Air Randy got them done so quickly?

My two cents, please keep the Air Force One hype underwraps.  We enjoy flying under the radar and picking our shoes up without ever needing a raffle.

I feel ya. I enjoy the fact that the store-only versions and hyperstrike SBs are the ones you need to camp for. :wink:

100% all true.  To add to this has anyone taken a step back to look at the recent Jordan releases and how they have been structured? Most of the GR's are strategically placed right before or right after-limited or super limited releases.  They hype from the limited releases eventually spills over and most people satisfy for the GR, the one that is LARGELY mass produced, or the anticipation from the general release builds up causing and over hyped qs such as in the case of the black grapes.  this cycle continues to repeat with most GR's being OG colorways, Royals 1s and cement 88's and few others being the only exceptions.

Also don't forget the strategic marketing by Nike like with the fear pack 4's, calling them a QS when by true definition they were not with a 15 dollar price hike for no reason.  Same goes for the upcoming Fresh Price 5's that are going to retail at 185.  Nike is dropping the db's 5's and 3lab 5's which will be impossible for most to get... so the consolation prize is a shoe marked up 25 dollars (from the 160 it should retail) that by rumor will be a GR which will be mass produced.  This shoe will sell out... mark my word... all the hype and resell frenzy with the db 5's and 3lab5's will spill over to these bringing out new resellers and hypebeast, etc.

Nike/JB know that the OG colorways will sell out but mainly with the help of hype.  I see it though...

The limited Js are all the gimmicks. FP Vs, Doernbechers, NA branded Js, most recent packs, etc. Not necessarily retro+ colorways. Most of the OG colorway 1s this year have been pretty hard to get. Yes it's bad that you may have to miss out on some of your faves but it is just how business is run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom