2013-2014 NBA Season Thread - Congrats to the Spurs, DBD is still a buster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think any more or less of Cuban after his comments...

although, given the nature of what's going on w/ the league right now and the Clippers/Sterling, he might have been best served in keeping his thoughts to himself.

Last edited:
I see no problems with cubans comments..he's keeping it real. Even some blacks walk the other way when they see a black dude with a hoodie up walking towards them. He saved himself with the white guy with tattoos quote tho

The timing was meh tho

Last edited:
Cuban's point was that most people have these thoughts...whether it's a subconscious behavior you exhibit towards others, or are being unabashedly vocal in your disdain towards an individual or a group of people, it's human nature.

The problem w/ Cuban's point is the timing. I don't know if anyone asked for his opinion, but he's going to open a can of worms due to what's going on w/ the Clippers.

Hoodie comment was questionable and poor choice of words, but I agree with what he said. We all have biases and prejudices.

i have no issue w/ his comments but the two examples do not relate.....

black + hoodie =/= white + tatted + bald 

laugh.gif
 .....could've at least added sagging pants in there lol......just a hoodie on a brotha shouldn't have you shook

just a poor example used by him but I do agree w/ him basically pushing silver ....

edit: w/ the string of armed robberies in my city I def keep an eye out for a certain kind......it is what it is......hate to do that to my own kind but I got a kid so I don't have time to get got but a lazy bum

Last edited:
Not to throw shade but thats how white people logic will always be. Black hoodie = threat. Sad but whatever.

Sterling getting forced out has more to do with him being bad for business (ie sponsors threatening to pull out which could impact the entire league) than anything else. Owners and players in the NBA and other professional sports leagues are governed by a series of rules and regulations that won't always correlate to the rules and regulations that govern our behavior on our jobs or in society as a whole. These rules, especially those related to player, employee and owner conduct are in theory designed to deter behavior that will cause harm to the league and behavior that may, if not regulated, in aggregate could have a financial impact on the league (See the NBA dress code and the NBA cares campaign). I understand the argument that Sterling deserves his due process, but last time I checked the league is providing him with the level of due process afforded by the NBA constitution, which he voluntarily agreed to abide by.

Cuban may have his own biases and feelings like everyone else, but I don't think his views, comments or practices have ever resulted in a firestorm where sponsors threatened to leave his team. As they say in the NFL, no one individual is above the shield. The same principle applies to the NBA. In a nutshell, certain behavior or a series of behaviors that have the potential to have a significant negative economic impact pact the finances or the reputation (conduct not related to the sport) for the most part will not be tolerated. I will gladly acknowledge that there there are some outliers like the NFL and the Washington ******** name, but there is a reason the NBA let Sterling stay for as long as they did, and I truly truly believe it was because the financial pressure from sponsors and other big money partners sponsors didn't exist until now.

no, the problem with cuban's words isn't timing. the problem is that he's making blanket statements about situations that his dumbasse can't comprehend or even has business talking about. it's either a pretty arrogant move or a move completely lacking self-awareness. i say a bit of both

the glaring problem is that he tried to equivocate two different scenarios (black guy hoodie vs white shaved head guy w/tattoos) by rationalizing the prejudices of black people vs that of white people. those two examples are just not alike and do nothing to substantiate his argument. they make him look dumb - like he doesn't get it. and he doesn't

beside all that though - why would you want to give any creedence to the words of a known racist like sterling by attempting to making it look like his bias is equivalent to the bias of others? why is it looking like he's caping for a racist? what point is he trying to make? that everyone is prejudiced? ok, so what now? should the rest of us ease up or let sterling and people like him off the hook because we have biases of our own? as far as i know most people ain't trying to systematically deny "people of color" the way sterling (a billionaire) has in his business practices over many, many years

Last edited:
Rather than focusing on Cuban's comments, the bammas like Doc Rivers, Griffin, Paul, etc. need to be taken to task and questioned WHY they tolerated such a work environment knowing Sterling's history. Those dudes are being treated w/ kid-gloves and I honestly have more of an issue with that in comparison to what Cuban was saying. I mean, I think we all know the answer ($), but some of the focus should be on the players/coaches as well.

Why does a playoff series need a two day break in between games at times?  Why doesnt a playoff series have any back to back game nights?

This is part of the reason the NBA season is RIDICULOUSLY long.  This needs to change.  The NBA will still make its money without breaks like this.

Why does a playoff series need a two day break in between games at times?  Why doesnt a playoff series have any back to back game nights?

This is part of the reason the NBA season is RIDICULOUSLY long.  This needs to change.  The NBA will still make its money without breaks like this.

so everyones rested & it helps build suspense :lol:

Rather than focusing on Cuban's comments, the bammas like Doc Rivers, Griffin, Paul, etc. need to be taken to task and questioned WHY they tolerated such a work environment knowing Sterling's history. Those dudes are being treated w/ kid-gloves and I honestly have more of an issue with that in comparison to what Cuban was saying. I mean, I think we all know the answer ($), but some of the focus should be on the players/coaches as well.
Doc Rivers in particular has made comments only to change them a week later. He dug a hole with that quitting thing, so we'll see what he does.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ves-making-progress-hiring-dave-joerger-coach

The Minnesota Timberwolves have made "significant progress" in their attempt to hire Dave Joerger away from the Memphis Grizzlies to be their new coach, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com that although compensation details with the Grizzlies have to be worked out, Minnesota's fast-moving bid to make Joerger its next coach is gathering momentum.

The Wolves are restricted to offering draft picks and/or cash to Memphis to free Joerger from his contract with the Grizzlies. But one source said Thursday that Joerger landing in his home state with the Wolves is "the way this thing is headed."

The Grizzlies this week granted the Wolves permission to interview Joerger in the wake of a management shakeup that resulted in the twin ousters of Memphis CEO Jason Levien and assistant general manager Stu Lash.

#13 pick for Joerger. Dew it.

@MaxElite , avy info? :nerd:

Last edited:

Because they played a 82 game season thats why.... Do you know how tough it is on your body to play that many games on the nba level.... This isnt baseball we are talking about here.. Lebron has played his a** off this year with very little help from d wade therefor increasing his mins... I think a few days off is warranted for these cats...

Last edited:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ves-making-progress-hiring-dave-joerger-coach
The Minnesota Timberwolves have made "significant progress" in their attempt to hire Dave Joerger away from the Memphis Grizzlies to be their new coach, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com that although compensation details with the Grizzlies have to be worked out, Minnesota's fast-moving bid to make Joerger its next coach is gathering momentum.

The Wolves are restricted to offering draft picks and/or cash to Memphis to free Joerger from his contract with the Grizzlies. But one source said Thursday that Joerger landing in his home state with the Wolves is "the way this thing is headed."

The Grizzlies this week granted the Wolves permission to interview Joerger in the wake of a management shakeup that resulted in the twin ousters of Memphis CEO Jason Levien and assistant general manager Stu Lash.

@MaxElite , avy info?
nerd.gif
I'm pretty sure that's just Amber Rose. There was a vid of her a while back twerking in a white dress.

@MaxElite , avy info?
nerd.gif
Amber Rose breh

Lol at the overreacting after each play

Amber Rose
100x100px-LS-e85d86ef_tumblr_mrrfchfYxr1r4atx9o1_250.gif

Yes.

Taken to task?

There are only 30 teams in the NBA. And guess what? A lot of these rich, white owners have some type of racist views. A lot of bosses do. It's something that a lot of PoC just accept until it's directly effecting them or it's too much to handle. What exactly did you want them to do? Were they supposed to teach Sterling the errors of his ways? Start a boycott with little "solid" evidence in a league where all the owners are buddy-buddy? The only reason this played out how it did was because of the giant social media storm that came along with it. There's no guarantee that happens if Paul/Griffin/Doc do something. If there's no social media storm, those guys get villianized for costing the team games, for not thinking of the fans, for ruining their careers.

What did you want them to do? And when?

Yikes, Mark. 
embarassed.gif

That hoodie comment. C'mon, man. I was w/ him, when I had just heard that he had something along the lines of "We're all prejudiced. I know I'm not perfect."

Gotta leave that hoodie comment out of there, though. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thought of Trayvon and mentally was like

:smokin

RT @aa000G9 #teamPera #gng parade on beale coming soon!

I think TA just wants Joerger gone because he benched him :lol: . He wanted Joerger here earlier in the season because he hated Hollins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom