2012 Official NFL Fantasy Football Thread

a part of the NT jawn with the $25 a head.

my other leagues draft is 8/14. im so ready maaaaaaaaaan

Can someone here talk to me about Ryan Matthews. I don't get it.

Why is there so much hype around him, he isn't that good, he doesn't impress me, he plays with a QB who loves to throw. In a PPR league, I don't understand why he is being touted like a top 5 if not best RB by the end of 2012.

Someone try and convince me, make a case for Matthews.

That won't be me trying to convince you. I never understood it either. Dude has been hyped ever since he came into the league and does nothing.

That won't be me trying to convince you. I never understood it either. Dude has been hyped ever since he came into the league and does nothing.

Pretty much, I'm staying far far away.

Also, whats the verdict on MJD.. does he still warrant a top 7 pick? I've seen him drop to 20, and I couldn't help but pick him up in the 2nd rd. But he's still a top 10 right?

He is, but there's too much uncertainty for my liking. I drafted Rashad Jennings in the last rounds of a few of my drafts already. And honestly...Gabbert behind center doesn't help his value when he is playing. He did fine last year, but there's gotta be a point where his value dips so long as sunshine is in.

2nd round is probably gonna turn out to be great value, but he makes me nervous. Don't want his hold out to turn into a Chris Johnson situation.

Last edited:
Can someone here talk to me about Ryan Matthews. I don't get it.
Why is there so much hype around him, he isn't that good, he doesn't impress me, he plays with a QB who loves to throw. In a PPR league, I don't understand why he is being touted like a top 5 if not best RB by the end of 2012.
Someone try and convince me, make a case for Matthews.

Because despite his fragility, he's a complete back. He can run, catch, and play through contact.

With no vulture Tolbert (who had 490 yards and 8 TDs last season) Mathews is in line for a ton of touches...
Ryan Mathews anticipates receiving a "heavy workload" from the Chargers' offensive coaches this season.
The Chargers want to see him do it, too. "I don't ever want to come off the field. I want to be the best guy for every situation," Mathews said. "I know I can handle a heavy workload and be that three-down back people believe I can be. That's what I've been preparing myself for all offseason." With an overdue run of good luck, Mathews could be a candidate to lead the league in offensive touches. Jul 27 - 9:19 PM

If he's healthy the kid has the upside to be the #1 back in all of fantasy football. He's got just as much upside as Foster, Rice, McCoy, Chris Johnson, and Darren McFadden.

On 222 Attempts the kid had 1091 yards rushing and 6 TDs along with 50 receptions for 455 yards (compare that to Sproles who had 86 receptions for 710 yards, imagine if Mathews had as many targets as Sproles did in the passing game).

I consider 1091 and 6 an absolute floor for this kid, meaning sky is the limit with the amount of touches and targets he'll be getting this season. Barring injury this kid is a lock for top-5 production, and has the potential to be the best fantasy RB in the league.

He's just as risky as most RBs going around the latter end of the first round-early second, Chris Johnson, DMC, DeMarco Murray, Marshawn Lynch, Matt Forte, Jamaal Charles and Trent Richardson all carry their respective downside.

Other than CJ2K I don't see anyone other RB from this list whose floor I'd feel safe with accepting.

DMC is SUPER fragile,

as is DeMarco Murray (injury PLAGUED all his college career),

Lynch (can become complacent and unmotivated again, may be suspended),

Forte (is sharing the backfield with Michael Bush),

Jamaal Charles (sharing the backfield with Hillis and coming off a torn ACL),

and Trent Richardson is a rookie in a stagnant offense with little O-line depth, things could get ugly really quick in Cleveland with that line.

Which brings me to my only concern regarding Mathews which isn't is health, it's his offensive line, the Chargers undoubtedly have a poor offensive-line. However, consider the fact that he is dropping to the latter-ends of the first and you've got yourself one of the few remaining RBs board that are capable of producing top-5 RB1 numbers. If he's not going top-5 most drafts by the end of August I'll be surprised.

Last edited:
Also, whats the verdict on MJD.. does he still warrant a top 7 pick? I've seen him drop to 20, and I couldn't help but pick him up in the 2nd rd. But he's still a top 10 right?

In short no, he doesn't warrant a first-round pick.

History is against his side and as talented as MJD is he ins't Emmitt Smith and the Jaguars are no 93' Cowboys, IMO, this hold-out is going to hurt his production and inevitably hurt his fantasy owners.

Even a 2nd round ADP is a bit rich for my liking. He's young, but he's been worked a ton in his young career, I just think that, coupled with the fact he may not be in typical MJD football shape just makes him too risky of a 1st round pick.

The upside is undeniable, and though I'd never question his work-ethic, we all saw how the hold out affected Chris Johnson last season.

I'll like MJD a lot more next season if the Jaguars can improve that line and get a new (better) QB at the helm not named BLAINE GABBERT.

Last edited:
If he's healthy the kid has the upside to be the #1 back in all of fantasy football.

Sums it up. If he's healthy...Well, yeah. He's had problems with injury since he started. A heavier workload now?...Proceed with caution.

And upside is pretty much potential. Dirtiest word in sports for a young athlete. He's always had upside.

I agree with where you're coming from, but Mathews has done nothing in years past to make me confident he can stay on the field or produce through all 16 to make him so worthy. But hey...You never know. I was feeling the same about Forte until he finally broke out.

I'm not touching MJD this year. You won't see him on any of my teams. He has no desire to play for JAX, it's the worst team in the league, and he's threatening to hold out, and Khan said he won't be getting a contract. Plus his knee issue, I'm not drafting him.

i dont know much about football, who should i be drafting? got a draft at the end of this month :lol: :frown:

i dont know much about football, who should i be drafting? got a draft at the end of this month
laugh.gif
frown.gif
same here. some sleepers would be nice NT
wink.gif
nerd.gif
. also who are the overrated players that should be passed on

Last edited:
Those of you who have never played...why are you just starting to prepare now?

Start going to sites like Yahoo, ESPN, CBS and download their cheat sheets - they have rankings and projections and sleepers/busts.

But it's better to learn on your own, do your own research, don't conform to the natural standard.

LEARN YOUR SCORING SYSTEM that will tell you how to draft.

Be aware of bye weeks.

Don't be scared to reach for someone, it's all about value at the pick.

Those of you who have never played...why are you just starting to prepare now?
Start going to sites like Yahoo, ESPN, CBS and download their cheat sheets - they have rankings and projections and sleepers/busts.
But it's better to learn on your own, do your own research, don't conform to the natural standard.
LEARN YOUR SCORING SYSTEM that will tell you how to draft.
Be aware of bye weeks.
Don't be scared to reach for someone, it's all about value at the pick.

All I did was print out the top scorers in my league from the previous year and combine that with someone educated guesses.

I won both my leagues last year.

Go with your gut.

You gotta learn by researching and trial and error. I remember the first time I played when Vick was on the Falcons, I drafted Vick in the 1st round then Alge Crumpler in the 2nd. :lol:

did my first ever offline draft last night 12 people head 2 head can someone rate my team, im kinda happy with it except my WR's

Cam Newton, Andrew Luck
Ray Rice, Ahmad Bradshaw, Willis McGahee, Toby Gerhart Kevin Smith
Marques Colston, Mario Manningham, Pierre Garcon, Malcom Floyd, Donald Driver
Aaron Hernandez, Coby Fleener
Steelers & Bills DEF/ST
Nate Kaeding

no i played last season not knowin jack and i did fairly well but this isnt like the NBA where players stay good. one year a player is good the next year hes trash so its hard.

I always make a few NT leagues but people never play seriously or just quit late in the year or don't show up for drafts so I feel like i'm wasting my time.

I'm sticking with my one big money league this year and not worrying about others

Sole Man: An extra back-up defense is not worth the roster spot. I prefer to use (Bills D) for additional RB/WR depth. Try to improve your WR2 through trade.

Venom: I'm in if you change your mind about starting a competitive league. Prefer PPR.

Antonio Brown: Once again, I see a monster season for Brown. He's been Big Ben's favorite target with Wallace out of camp. However, I know he's tough, but a sprained ankle and slight tear in his rotator cuff? Yes, I'm worried. Steelers fans should be more so. By the way, Wallace should be getting money close to DeSean's deal (5/$51m).

I always make a few NT leagues but people never play seriously or just quit late in the year or don't show up for drafts so I feel like i'm wasting my time.
I'm sticking with my one big money league this year and not worrying about others

Welp if you change your mind I'd like to do a NT dynasty league but I really don't want to commish it.

If you wanna do an NT league, I'm in.

Sole Man: An extra back-up defense is not worth the roster spot. I prefer to use (Bills D) for additional RB/WR depth. Try to improve your WR2 through trade.

i just picked them for the hell of it, i dropped them today and picked up Laurent Robinson

Back
Top Bottom