2011 Official Boxing Thread: 12/30 Jermain Taylor + Andre Dirrell return on ShoBox.

Because it was gonna happen eventually...

LOS ANGELES -- Who knows whether Oscar De La Hoya was just caught up in the moment or if he's serious? But like many of us, he was inspired by the amazing story of Dewey Bozella.
Bozella, as you probably know by now, is the 52-year-old man who spent 26 years in prison for a murder he did not commit. He was released in 2009 and his dream was to have one professional fight if he ever got out.

De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions was instrumental in helping Bozella get a license from the California State Athletic Commission and aided him in Bernard Hopkins' training camp as he prepared for his pro debut.

After Bozella's four-round decision victory Saturday night on the Hopkins-Chad Dawson undercard at Staples Center, De La Hoya tweeted, "Bozella wins and has inspired me to make a comeback!!!!!"

De La Hoya is 38. He retired after being destroyed by the much smaller Manny Pacquiao over eight lopsided rounds in December 2008. It was the end of a 3-4 stretch over his last seven fights in which his performance steadily went downhill. He even admitted during the recently concluded "24/7 Mayweather/Ortiz" series on HBO that he was "done" when he fought Floyd Mayweather Jr. back in 2007.

De La Hoya also recently disclosed that he has had a drug and drinking problem. He has said his partying ways probably took about four good years off of his career.

The point is, inspired or not, De La Hoya is finished. As great as he was for the sport during his days as boxing's biggest star, the last thing boxing needs is for a washed-up once-great champion to come back and get hurt. And that obviously would not be good for De La Hoya either.

Maybe De La Hoya doesn't recall all the times -- so many of them -- when he vowed that once he did retire, he would stay retired. He made it a point to say -- over and over -- that he didn't want to be like Sugar Ray Leonard, who seemed to retire and unretire all the time.

De La Hoya didn't just tweet his interest in returning. Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, De La Hoya's close friend and business partner, told me after Saturday's Hopkins-Dawson show that De La Hoya had also told him he wanted to come back.

"Don't know, but I think he might give it one more," Schaefer said.

I suggested to Schaefer that it might not be a good idea.

His response was, "Just always remember -- sports is entertainment, and when it comes to entertainment, Oscar is No. 1. No question about it. There are a lot of other people in boxing who, frankly, should retire before Oscar does -- from promoters to refs to judges.

"If Oscar really wants it, and devotes himself 1,000 percent, he can still beat anyone. I really believe that from the bottom of my heart."

I can understand Schaefer's wishful believing. And I can understand De La Hoya's desire. He's still a young man at 38 and probably wrestling with what he should do with the rest of his life beyond being a promotional company figurehead.

Besides, Golden Boy Promotions could certainly use the injection of the millions that a De La Hoya fight would probably generate. The company has no bankable pay-per-view stars under contract.

But as Bozella said himself after his victory when explaining why Saturday's fight would be his only one, "It's a young man's game."

De La Hoya, at 38, is young in life. In boxing years, however, he is an old man -- one that, hopefully, will have second thoughts.

Remember reading an article on Fighthype, stating that Oscar only owns one-third of GBP...any truth to that statement? As much money as Oscar has made over his career, inside & out of the ring...it isn't possible that HE needs the money, right?

Because it was gonna happen eventually...

LOS ANGELES -- Who knows whether Oscar De La Hoya was just caught up in the moment or if he's serious? But like many of us, he was inspired by the amazing story of Dewey Bozella.
Bozella, as you probably know by now, is the 52-year-old man who spent 26 years in prison for a murder he did not commit. He was released in 2009 and his dream was to have one professional fight if he ever got out.

De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions was instrumental in helping Bozella get a license from the California State Athletic Commission and aided him in Bernard Hopkins' training camp as he prepared for his pro debut.

After Bozella's four-round decision victory Saturday night on the Hopkins-Chad Dawson undercard at Staples Center, De La Hoya tweeted, "Bozella wins and has inspired me to make a comeback!!!!!"

De La Hoya is 38. He retired after being destroyed by the much smaller Manny Pacquiao over eight lopsided rounds in December 2008. It was the end of a 3-4 stretch over his last seven fights in which his performance steadily went downhill. He even admitted during the recently concluded "24/7 Mayweather/Ortiz" series on HBO that he was "done" when he fought Floyd Mayweather Jr. back in 2007.

De La Hoya also recently disclosed that he has had a drug and drinking problem. He has said his partying ways probably took about four good years off of his career.

The point is, inspired or not, De La Hoya is finished. As great as he was for the sport during his days as boxing's biggest star, the last thing boxing needs is for a washed-up once-great champion to come back and get hurt. And that obviously would not be good for De La Hoya either.

Maybe De La Hoya doesn't recall all the times -- so many of them -- when he vowed that once he did retire, he would stay retired. He made it a point to say -- over and over -- that he didn't want to be like Sugar Ray Leonard, who seemed to retire and unretire all the time.

De La Hoya didn't just tweet his interest in returning. Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, De La Hoya's close friend and business partner, told me after Saturday's Hopkins-Dawson show that De La Hoya had also told him he wanted to come back.

"Don't know, but I think he might give it one more," Schaefer said.

I suggested to Schaefer that it might not be a good idea.

His response was, "Just always remember -- sports is entertainment, and when it comes to entertainment, Oscar is No. 1. No question about it. There are a lot of other people in boxing who, frankly, should retire before Oscar does -- from promoters to refs to judges.

"If Oscar really wants it, and devotes himself 1,000 percent, he can still beat anyone. I really believe that from the bottom of my heart."

I can understand Schaefer's wishful believing. And I can understand De La Hoya's desire. He's still a young man at 38 and probably wrestling with what he should do with the rest of his life beyond being a promotional company figurehead.

Besides, Golden Boy Promotions could certainly use the injection of the millions that a De La Hoya fight would probably generate. The company has no bankable pay-per-view stars under contract.

But as Bozella said himself after his victory when explaining why Saturday's fight would be his only one, "It's a young man's game."

De La Hoya, at 38, is young in life. In boxing years, however, he is an old man -- one that, hopefully, will have second thoughts.

Remember reading an article on Fighthype, stating that Oscar only owns one-third of GBP...any truth to that statement? As much money as Oscar has made over his career, inside & out of the ring...it isn't possible that HE needs the money, right?

Any way I could find out how many PPV's were bought for the chad and Bhop fight?

Someone tell, I mean smack Oscar upside the head. A comeback? Listen to this guy. Only in America folks.
laugh.gif

Any way I could find out how many PPV's were bought for the chad and Bhop fight?

Someone tell, I mean smack Oscar upside the head. A comeback? Listen to this guy. Only in America folks.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by sammietheboss

This is all chads fault he tackled him like a line backer

This is how i saw it lol.

This better be overturned.  And they said it was a separation of the AC joint or something to Hopkin's shoulder.  So it was a legit injury.

Originally Posted by sammietheboss

This is all chads fault he tackled him like a line backer

This is how i saw it lol.

This better be overturned.  And they said it was a separation of the AC joint or something to Hopkin's shoulder.  So it was a legit injury.

To me, the defining detail of the whole fiasco was the fact that Dawson grabbed Hop's leg as he threw him off.

Had he not done that, and just stood up to shake Hop off, i wouldnt have called it dirty. But he didnt. He grabbed his leg in an attempt to sweep it as he bucked him off. Dawson is mentally weak. It took a grand total of a round and a half to get fed up and frustrated with Hopkins' tactics. You saw how mad he was afterwards, and its not like he didnt know Hop was gonna be pulling crap like that. Hell, he had Winky in his camp for that exact reason.

At the end of the day, Hopkins missed with a lunging right, and crowded Dawson after he ducked it. A crafty defensive move by a veteran who's known for doing things of that nature. What Hopkins did is no different than any other fighter clinching the other man after he throws and misses a big shot. The difference this time is that Dawson lost his cool and overreacted. Its unfortunate that Hopkins was hurt by it, and the title never should have changed hands like that. Theres pretty much no possible way to call that a TKO.

In my opinion, its a no contest/decision. Hop retains the belts.

To me, the defining detail of the whole fiasco was the fact that Dawson grabbed Hop's leg as he threw him off.

Had he not done that, and just stood up to shake Hop off, i wouldnt have called it dirty. But he didnt. He grabbed his leg in an attempt to sweep it as he bucked him off. Dawson is mentally weak. It took a grand total of a round and a half to get fed up and frustrated with Hopkins' tactics. You saw how mad he was afterwards, and its not like he didnt know Hop was gonna be pulling crap like that. Hell, he had Winky in his camp for that exact reason.

At the end of the day, Hopkins missed with a lunging right, and crowded Dawson after he ducked it. A crafty defensive move by a veteran who's known for doing things of that nature. What Hopkins did is no different than any other fighter clinching the other man after he throws and misses a big shot. The difference this time is that Dawson lost his cool and overreacted. Its unfortunate that Hopkins was hurt by it, and the title never should have changed hands like that. Theres pretty much no possible way to call that a TKO.

In my opinion, its a no contest/decision. Hop retains the belts.

Dawson didn't tackle anyone.  He picked the leg up, but he didn't deliberately slam him, as some are saying.

The bout should be a NC. 

In all honesty, Hopkins doesn't deserve to retain the belts.  He did not come to defend.

Some of yall are calling Chad "weak-minded" Dude showed up and wanted to fight.  I predicted a SD victory for Dawson, but after just watching those 1 2/3 rounds.. I have no doubt Dawson would've won a wide UD.

I want Hopkins to retire.  Cloud, Pascal, that WBA champ (Don't know his name, but I watched his last bout in July) need to get it on.

Dawson didn't tackle anyone.  He picked the leg up, but he didn't deliberately slam him, as some are saying.

The bout should be a NC. 

In all honesty, Hopkins doesn't deserve to retain the belts.  He did not come to defend.

Some of yall are calling Chad "weak-minded" Dude showed up and wanted to fight.  I predicted a SD victory for Dawson, but after just watching those 1 2/3 rounds.. I have no doubt Dawson would've won a wide UD.

I want Hopkins to retire.  Cloud, Pascal, that WBA champ (Don't know his name, but I watched his last bout in July) need to get it on.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

The bout should be a NC. 

Ehh, that was obviously more than just shaking Hopkins off. IF it wasnt deliberate, why grab for his leg in the first place?
Didnt come to defend? Its not like Hopkins is a fast starter. He's never come out guns blazing, everyone knows this. It didnt even go 2 rounds, neither guy was even close to warmed up.

Dawson definitely showed up ready to fight, but it took less than 2 rounds to be taken out of his game and frustrated by Hopkins' bread and butter antics. Everyone that steps through the ropes with Bernard knows what his M.O. is and most are prepared for it. Dawson was obviously losing the mind games before the 2nd round had even finished. To me, when you know whats coming and you still cant get past it and fight through it, its a mental weakness. 

The bout should be a NC. 

Ehh, that was obviously more than just shaking Hopkins off. IF it wasnt deliberate, why grab for his leg in the first place?
Didnt come to defend? Its not like Hopkins is a fast starter. He's never come out guns blazing, everyone knows this. It didnt even go 2 rounds, neither guy was even close to warmed up.

Dawson definitely showed up ready to fight, but it took less than 2 rounds to be taken out of his game and frustrated by Hopkins' bread and butter antics. Everyone that steps through the ropes with Bernard knows what his M.O. is and most are prepared for it. Dawson was obviously losing the mind games before the 2nd round had even finished. To me, when you know whats coming and you still cant get past it and fight through it, its a mental weakness. 

The bout should be a NC. 

I completely disagree with all this.

IMO, Hopkins lunged to hold and ended up a little bit off the canvas but this dude Dawson grabbed his leg and if you don't want to call it a tackle then call it a blatant shoulder push towards to edge of the ring while holding on to his leg.  I don't know how anyone can say that wasn't deliberate.

Hopkins wasn't fighting great and it wasn't entertaining at all but he took Chad off of his game to jab and box within 30 seconds of the first round.  Chad looked like he was well on his way to being Chad of old.  Neither of them looked all that good.  Bout should be a NC and give the belts back to Bernard, Chad did nothing to earn those belts.  Rematch will probably be ordered but I doubt most would want to see that.  Bernard at 175 still >>> on anyone outside of maybe Cloud.

The bout should be a NC. 

I completely disagree with all this.

IMO, Hopkins lunged to hold and ended up a little bit off the canvas but this dude Dawson grabbed his leg and if you don't want to call it a tackle then call it a blatant shoulder push towards to edge of the ring while holding on to his leg.  I don't know how anyone can say that wasn't deliberate.

Hopkins wasn't fighting great and it wasn't entertaining at all but he took Chad off of his game to jab and box within 30 seconds of the first round.  Chad looked like he was well on his way to being Chad of old.  Neither of them looked all that good.  Bout should be a NC and give the belts back to Bernard, Chad did nothing to earn those belts.  Rematch will probably be ordered but I doubt most would want to see that.  Bernard at 175 still >>> on anyone outside of maybe Cloud.

Originally Posted by aepps20

IMO if Chad can beat Pascal he should move down to smw.
Easier said than done after Chad has fought this many fight at LW.
Chad meant to do exactly what happened, Dawson lost the mind games early. But I do believe that Dawson's combination of size and speed would have given Hopkins problems. 

Back
Top Bottom