2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif

Paul vs Cotto?
Paul vs Angulo?
Paul vs Berto?

I'd be up for em all

Kinda funny how Punisher loses, now no one is good enough to fight Sergio, but it becomes easier to see who we would like Paul to fight
laugh.gif
This. We have a few dudes who actually know boxing to the fullest on here but still post insane comments and dont give credit where its due. Let it be Floyd or Zab get a second round knockout on a high class opponent and boys go nuts on here and swear it was pure dominance. Paul made a mistake and Sergio capatalized on it like a true professional. Was not a lucky punch. An opportunity presented itself and he seized it. Give the dude credit.

I know you got love for Sergio, Gunna. But, well, you did say the punch was lucky. And with the way Paul was fighting you yourself said he was begging for a counter. So in a sense, the punch wasn't lucky...it's kinda crediting him and discrediting him at the same time. I see that comment with hindsight though.

where did I not give Sergio credit?

what are u talking about?

Cmon Gunna! You said dudes punch was lucky. You are entitled to your opinion and we know you love Paul, (So do I btw) but dude got it tonight. We know you're the Emanuel Stewart of NT but you were wrong on this bro and it wasnt just directed to you. I enjoy reading this thread daily. Im mostly a lurker but I try to stirr up the conflict at times. Nuthn but love bro.

Sergio is nice but, he just landed the perfect punch.

He would get outclassed by Floyd, even at 160

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
that was one of the cleanest luckiest punches ever

Paul was so careless. he was wilding like he was fightin in da club

nerd.gif
thats what I said

Ive been more impressed wit Sergio in other performances.

he landed like one effective punch in 2 rounds.

he got the W but who else is gonna fight him at this level winging lead hooks with their chin up

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Mannny steward

Sergio is nice but, he just landed the perfect punch.

He would get outclassed by Floyd, even at 160
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
that was one of the cleanest luckiest punches ever

Paul was so careless. he was wilding like he was fightin in da club

nerd.gif
thats what I said

Ive been more impressed wit Sergio in other performances.

he landed like one effective punch in 2 rounds.

he got the W but who else is gonna fight him at this level winging lead hooks with their chin up

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Mannny steward

laugh.gif
 It was either that or Gunna Kellerman

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

laugh.gif

Paul vs Cotto?
Paul vs Angulo?
Paul vs Berto?

I'd be up for em all

Kinda funny how Punisher loses, now no one is good enough to fight Sergio, but it becomes easier to see who we would like Paul to fight
laugh.gif

It's easier to figure out who Paul could fight because he can make it down to 147 and doesn't have any belts.  And no one at 160 is good enough for Sergio.  He's not moving down to 154 and giving up the middleweight titles, they mean way too much to him.

That Steward comment is borderline sig-worthy
roll.gif

^^^
I swear this was the reaction to the K.O that lots of people had here where I was whatching the fight at lol

Punisher is gonna put the beats on this dude. unanimous decision like 8-4

Yall act like Pun aint got a Chin and heart. He closed the show on Sergio in them late rounds same as he did Margarito in the 11th and 12th.

If he brings his right back to his face to guard after throwing, he'll be good money
martinez backed up all his talk ...
eek.gif
@ the punch 

Paul damn sure didn't keep that right up to guard his chin. Smh. Wreckless an paid for it dearly.

pub better play it smart and take some time off then fight at least one tune up fight. Don't be Luke Roy jones and try to jump rite back into the fire like rj did vs. Glenn Johnson

So I watched the fight this morning tough loss for Paul but he needs to invest in his jab and fight tall because this trading shots style he uses now will open up chances for counter and over the top KO punches. Great win for Sergio curious to see where he goes from here. I think a matchup with Manny and Floyd is not happening after this preformance. From a money standpoint I can forsee a fight with Miguel Cotto. That whole PR vs. Mexico will generate millions in Yankee stadium. Paul should take some time off and invest in a new trainer if he wants to continue in the 160s.

I think P. Will should try to get with a top class trainer, like roach or emanuel steward. his small time aiken trainer can only take him so far. it's like the video game fight night when u pay for a better trainer.

Originally Posted by blkflipkid

I think P. Will should try to get with a top class trainer, like roach or emanuel steward. his small time aiken trainer can only take him so far. it's like the video game fight night when u pay for a better trainer.
Me too my dude. Roach would be perfect

Originally Posted by blkflipkid

I agree... I think it's time for Paul to hook up with a different trainer.

Well boxing is officially boring now. Manny has no competition (outside of flloyd), and Martinez has no competition. Although it would be interesting to see him fight berto if berto wins this saturday. I know martinez is a much more skilled fighter but i would watch.

Paul Williams has that mentality when he fights. He wants interesting fights (reminds me of my man Ricardo Mayorga). He wants people to remember his fights. So he came out there to put on a show. Unfortunately he got caught with a huge left hook. I applaud him for being willing to fight that way, i hope he bounces back.

Props to Sergio.. Looks like he watched the tape of the first fight and saw pauls flaws and exploited the $#!@ out of them from the beginning.

He was catching him with that hooking left all fight. Hopefully Paul can recover mentally from that.

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Atlantic City, N.J.
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Middleweight
Sergio Martinez KO2 Paul Williams

Retains world middleweight title​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Martinez, 46-2-2, 25 KOs; Williams, 39-2, 27 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: When the rematch between Martinez and Williams was made, many were expecting a serious fight of the year candidate. Well, we didn't get the fight of the year, but we got the knockout of the year as Martinez landed the massive overhand left heard 'round the world. (And it was not a left hook as so many have incorrectly reported. Martinez is a southpaw and does not throw a left hook. He throws a left cross. Besides, it was an overhand left, but we digress.)

Was that a sick knockout or what? Poor Williams never saw it coming, and it obliterated him. He went down face-first, was out cold and his lip was bleeding. He was down for several minutes receiving medical attention after being on the wrong end of one of the nastiest knockouts you will ever see. The 5,502 at Boardwalk Hall seemed bewildered by what they had seen because it came so out of the blue after a high-octane first round that sure made everyone think we were in for another great battle. After all, when Martinez and Williams met 11 months ago they waged a classic slugfest. They traded first-round knockdowns and treated boxing fans to one of the best fights of 2009.

After that nontitle fight, Martinez and Williams went their separate ways. Martinez landed a title shot against Kelly Pavlik (whose withdrawal from the December fight with Williams had paved the way for Martinez to get the fight) in April, and sliced him up and dethroned him in decisive fashion. Williams moved on to a May fight with Kermit Cintron, winning via fourth-round technical decision after Cintron fell out of the ring and did not continue. But Williams, 29, of Augusta, Ga., looked vulnerable in the three-plus rounds he went with Cintron. Clearly the first fight with Martinez had taken something out of him. Maybe that is the reason manager Al Haymon and promoter Dan Goossen did everything in their power to avoid the rematch with Martinez. But under massive pressure from HBO, the public and media, they were left with little choice but to fight Martinez again or sit. Despite getting shafted by Haymon and Goossen (and, frankly, HBO) in the negotiations -- and disrespected in the promotion -- Martinez and his people still took the fight (at a catch weight of 158 pounds instead of the division limit of 160) because they were so confident of victory. They did a slow burn during the promotion, and Martinez made Williams pay with the knockout of the year. The victory also probably secured fighter of the year honors for Martinez, a native of Argentina living in Oxnard, Calif., who has looked superb in recent fights as he has come into his own at 35.

For Williams, he'll need some time off after suffering such a gargantuan knockout. His handlers have insisted that he is really a welterweight, despite his lanky 6-foot-1 frame and 82-inch reach. More realistically, he'll probably fight at junior middleweight, where there are some potentially interesting fights. One of them won't be a third fight with Martinez, since there was no rematch clause. That was one battle the Martinez side won in the negotiations. Martinez's future is also up in the air because, despite such a sensational knockout -- one sure to earn him new fans -- there is no obvious fight for him. He and his camp have talked of trying to lure Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather Jr. into the ring, but that's fantasy. The reality is that there is no huge fight for Martinez at this moment. He doesn't want to go to super middleweight and there are no other attractions at middleweight that make a lot of sense. Even at junior middleweight, there isn't any logical fight, and the two money fights -- against Miguel Cotto or a rematch with Antonio Margarito (who knocked Martinez out in a 2000 welterweight fight) -- are extremely unlikely. But one thing is certain: Whenever Martinez does come back to fight, it'll be a can't-miss fight just because of one side of the ring.

[/td][/tr]

[tr][/tr]

[td][/td]
Light heavyweight
Zsolt Erdei W8 Samson Onyango

Scores: 80-72 (twice), 79-73​
[tr][td]Records: Erdei, 32-0, 17 KOs; Onyango, 20-7, 13 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: At 36 and out of the ring for a year during a brief retirement, Erdei -- a really good boxer and two-time Olympian (with a 2000 bronze medal) -- is looking to make a bit of splash and land a significant fight in the United States after a career spent fighting in his native Hungary (where he's a major star) and Germany. Erdei had fought twice in the U.S. early in his career, but returned after recently signing a promotional contract with Lou DiBella, who wants to help him get the big fight he'd like. Erdei never did get a truly major fight during his five-year, 11-defense reign with a light heavyweight title from 2004 to 2009. He eventually vacated that belt and beat Giacobbe Fragomeni last November to win a cruiserweight belt in a one-shot jump up in weight. Now he's back at light heavyweight and shook off the rust of his layoff by toying with Kenya's Onyango for eight rounds. Erdei isn't quite as slick as he was in his earlier days and fights a bit more flat-footed now, but that makes him more entertaining than when he was strictly a classic boxer. He also brought a surprisingly large crowd. One side of the upper deck at Boardwalk Hall was filled with Erdei fans, who chanted and sang for him while waving Hungarian flags. It was pretty cool to see, especially for an undercard against an unknown opponent. As for the fight itself, Erdei was simply better in every area than Onyango, who got hit a lot but stayed on his feet and tried to compete. But he was outclassed by a true pro.
[/td][/tr]

[tr][/tr]

[td][/td]
Heavyweight
Tony Thompson TKO4 Paul Marinaccio

[tr][td]Records: Thompson, 35-2, 23 KOs; Marinaccio, 24-6-3, 11 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: Thompson didn't look all that great, but he was also wasn't facing anyone particularly dangerous. So Thompson, 39, of Washington, D.C., got in some work before battering fellow southpaw Marinaccio, 43, of Buffalo, around the ring in the third round, in which he repeatedly hurt him. He almost got a stoppage in the third round, but the bell saved him. The respite was brief. In the fourth round, Thompson bullied Marinaccio into a corner and snapped his head back multiple times during a series of about a dozen unanswered punches, which forced referee David Fields to call it off at 2 minutes, 2 seconds. For Thompson, it was his fourth consecutive victory since a 2008 knockout loss to Wladimir Klitschko in his only title shot. Thompson still holds out hope to land another one, but it's a difficult road. He's 6-foot-5, a southpaw and has an 82-inch reach, so why would a titleholder face him voluntarily when he generates zero money? He already had a shot with one Klitschko and isn't exactly on the top of Vitali Klitschko's hit list. And David Haye is also unlikely to give him a shot as he served as one of Haye's chief sparring partners for his fight a couple of weeks ago. But Thompson keeps plugging away. Have to salute the effort if nothing else.

[/td][/tr]

[tr][/tr]

[td][/td]
Middleweight
Fernando Guerrero KO4 Saul Duran

[tr][td]Records: Guerrero, 20-0, 16 KOs; Duran, 36-18-3, 29 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: Guerrero, 24, was a standout amateur and has become one of the top prospects in boxing since turning pro in 2007. He's exciting, has charisma and draws big crowds when he fights in his adopted hometown of Salisbury, Md. Born in the Dominican Republic, he's lived in the United States since he was a kid and has developed a fan following that could someday follow him to Atlantic City, which is not far from Salisbury. This was his first fight in Atlantic City and he seemed to have a good number of fans there rooting him on. If he keeps developing, he could become an A.C. regular. Guerrero did not have much in front of him. Duran is an honest fighter who has made several good fights over the years, but he's no middleweight. He has fought most of his career at junior welterweight, so Guerrero manhandled him in a one-sided fight, dropping him in the second round and then dropping him to a knee for the full count in the fourth. Duran, 37, lost his second fight in a row and dropped to 3-10 in his past 13 bouts, although three fights ago, in May, he outpointed the shell of Hector Camacho Sr. in a 10-rounder.
[/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Thackerville, Okla.
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior bantamweight
Raul Martinez W12 Rodrigo Guerrero

Title eliminator
Scores: 115-113 (twice) Martinez, 117-111 Guerrero​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Martinez, 28-1, 16 KOs; Guerrero, 14-3-1, 9 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: Martinez, 28, of San Antonio, got a flyweight title shot in April 2009 and was blown out in four rounds by Nonito Donaire. After that surprisingly one-sided loss, Martinez moved up to junior bantamweight, where he has won four fights in a row, including this title eliminator that makes him the mandatory challenger for winner of the fight between 115-pound belt holder Juan Alberto Rosas and Cristian Mijares, who meet Dec. 11. But beating Mexico's Guerrero, 22, via split decision was not easy for Martinez in the "Top Rank Live" main event. That said, there's no way Guerrero deserved the nod on one of the scorecards, and certainly not so wide. It was a good fight, but Martinez was the superior technician with the sharper skills. Guerrero, however, has so much heart that he never stopped coming at Martinez, whose marked-up face showed the damage (including a bad cut under his left eye). Guerrero landed a lot of quality shots and dragged Martinez into the kind of physical battle he would have preferred to stay away from. But in the end, Martinez, the classier boxer, did enough to come away with the deserved decision. It was no surprise that Guerrero showed the kind of heart he did. Fans might be familiar with him from his junior bantamweight title shot against Vic Darchinyan on Showtime in March. Darchinyan, a giant puncher, dished out massive punishment, but Guerrero sopped it all up and went the distance.
[/td][/tr]

[tr][/tr]

[td][/td]
Middleweight
Matvey Korobov W8 Derrick Findley

[tr][td]Records: Korobov, 13-0, 8 KOs; Findley, 17-4, 11 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: Korobov, 27, entered the pro ranks in late 2008 after a terrific amateur career. He was two-time world amateur champion and a 2008 Russian Olympian before Top Rank and manager Cameron Dunkin signed him to much fanfare. Although he remains undefeated, his career seems to have lost some steam. His recent wins have not been impressive, and he's run through several trainers (this was his second fight with Hall of Famer Mike McCallum) since turning pro. For a guy with more than 300 amateur fights and as deep a pedigree as you can have, he just has not impressed in recent fights. Korobov, who now lives in Florida, performed fine against Findley, 26, of Gary, Ind., but it was not the kind of outing that would make you think you're seeing a future champion, which is what many believed he could be when he came out of the Olympics. He needs to find another gear. He sort of looks like he's going through the motions in the ring lately. This was his third consecutive less-than-stellar eight-round decision win. Findley's four-fight winning streak ended. He had not lost since being stopped in the sixth round by Andre Dirrell in March 2009.

[/td]

[/tr][/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Dresden, Germany
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Super middleweight
Robert Stieglitz W12 Enrique Ornelas

Retains a super middleweight title
Scores: 117-111 (three times)​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Stieglitz, 39-2, 23 KOs; Ornelas, 30-7, 20 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: In March 2008, Stieglitz was knocked out in the eighth round by Librado Andrade on HBO in a title eliminator. Stieglitz, 29, a native of Russia based in Germany, went on to eventually win a belt and made his third defense against Ornelas while picking up a measure of revenge in the process. Ornelas, 30, of La Habra, Calif., but originally from Mexico, is Andrade's brother. So Stieglitz improved to 1-1 against the family in winning the clear decision in a good fight. Stieglitz used his solid jab to maintain control for most of the fight, but Ornelas never stopped coming at him, which was no surprise. He did have some big moments in the seventh round when he poured it on, backing Stieglitz up and roughing up. The eighth round was similar, but Stieglitz got through the tough spots, adjusted and carried on with his fairly dominant performance. Ornelas made another spirited push in the final round, when they went back and forth trading shots, but it was too little, too late. Not sure what's next for Stieglitz, but wouldn't a unification fight against Lucian Bute in March, when Bute is supposed to fight the first fight on his new Showtime contract, be quite interesting while the Super Six World Boxing Classic semifinals are going on in a similar time frame? Ornelas dropped to 2-3 in his past five fights, including a decision loss to Bernard Hopkins in a light heavyweight bout in December.

[/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Monterrey, Mexico
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Flyweight
Edgar Sosa W12 Masafumi Okubo

Scores: 120-108, 119-109, 118-110​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Sosa, 41-6, 24 KOs; Okubo, 18-4-1, 6 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: After Mexico's Sosa, 31, lost his junior flyweight title to Rodel Mayol by second-round knockout last November in a fight that there was some controversy over (because Mayol had head-butted Sosa just before the knockout and he was still unsteady), there was much discussion about a rematch. It seems unlikely at this point because Mayol has since lost the belt and Sosa has moved up in weight and is unlikely to move back down, especially since he has become the mandatory challenger for flyweight titlist Pongsaklek Wonjongkam of Thailand. That fight should happen next year. Sosa was staying busy against Japan's Okunbo, winning his fourth in a row since moving up in weight. He easily outboxed Okubo, 30, for the clear decision. It was Okubo's first fight outside of his country.

[/td][/tr]

[tr][/tr]

[td][/td]
Featherweight
Jhonny Gonzalez KO2 Santos Marimon

[tr][td]Records: Gonzalez, 47-7, 41 KOs; Marimon, 13-13-1, 8 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: What a knockout! It wasn't quite as spectacular as the weekend's best one, Sergio Martinez's destruction of Paul Williams, but Gonzalez, a heavy puncher, put Marimon to sleep with a left hook to the chin. Marimon was out before he hit the canvas, flat on his back, his arms spread-eagled as the referee immediately called off the fight. Former bantamweight titlist Gonzalez, 29, of Mexico, won his seventh in a row since Toshiaki Nishioka stopped him in the third round of a junior featherweight title bout in May 2009. Gonzalez is certainly worthy of a featherweight title shot. Marimon, 32, of Colombia, lost his second in a row by second-round knockout and the third fight in his past four.
[/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Uncasville, Conn.
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior welterweight
Paul Spadafora TKO5 Alain Hernandez

[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Spadafora, 45-0-1, 19 KOs; Hernandez, 18-9-2, 10 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: Yeah, Spadafora is still around, plugging away against journeymen in pretty meaningless fights. This was yet another one for the former lightweight titlist, who won his seventh fight in a row since getting out of prison and returning to the ring in late 2006. He held a 135-pound title from 1999 to 2003 and made eight defenses before weight problems forced him to move up in weight. There was also a well-documented drinking problem and the prison sentence for the non-fatal shooting of his ex-girlfriend that severely sidetracked his career. It is unlikely he will ever get back to what he once was, but because he has a decent name in the sport and remains unbeaten, you have to figure eventually promote Mike Acri will put him in against a decent opponent. Then again, maybe not. In any event, he faced Mexico's Hernandez, 32, who lost his second fight in a row after taking the fight on short notice when Diego Jesus Ponce dropped out. Spadafora, who rarely scores knockouts, beat up Hernandez enough to force him to quit after the fifth round.

[/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table]e [tr][th=""]
Friday at San Juan, Argentina
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior middleweight
Carlos Baldomir W10 Amilcar Funes

Scores: 99-93, 98-97 Baldomir, 98-96½ Funes​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Baldomir, 46-13-6, 14 KOs; Funes, 22-10, 17 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: In September, Argentina's Baldomir, the former undisputed welterweight champion, was knocked cold in the sixth round by rising star Saul "Canelo" Alvarez. It was only the second time in his career that Baldomir had been stopped. The only other time was 16 years ago in his seventh pro fight. At 39, Baldomir looked like he was done after that September fight. However, he elected to continue fighting and made his return against Funes, 28, who had the hometown advantage. They put on an entertaining fight in the main event of Telefutura's "Solo Boxeo Tecate." They exchanged shots throughout the fight but Baldomir was busier, more aggressive and more accurate, especially over the first half of the fight. Funes had long stretches where he did not do too much before trying to pick up the pace in the final seconds of the round to perhaps convince a judge to give him the frame. It didn't work well enough as Baldomir got the hard-fought nod. Where Baldomir goes from here is anyone's guess. Likely, it will be more fights like this one: relatively low-level bouts in which he can make a few bucks, but a far cry from the heights he scaled in 2006, when he pulled a massive upset of Zab Judah to win the title, knocked out the late Arturo Gatti and lost the title to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in lopsided fashion for big money. As to the issue of the half-point in the scoring: Argentina is the only commission in the world that allows for the use of half-points and judges are not allowed to score 10-10 rounds. So it allows 10-9.5 rounds if a fighter barely won the round.

[/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
Friday at Hamburg, Germany
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Heavyweight
Ruslan Chagaev W8 Travis Walker

Scores: 78-75, 77-76, 77-75​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Chagaev, 27-1-1, 17 KOs; Walker, 34-6-1, 28 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: Chagaev, 32, a native of Uzbekistan living in Germany, is a former titleholder whose career seems to be winding down. When's the last time he looked good? Although he beat Walker in a darn good action fight that featured a number of exciting exchanges, it was way more competitive than it should have been. Walker is a guy who had been stopped (and usually early) in all of his previous losses and does not have a good chin. So it was somewhat shocking that Chagaev didn't get him out of there. But he did win his second in a row since being abused in a TKO loss to champion Wladimir Klitschko in June 2009. In his next fight, Chagaev outpointed Kali Meehan in May to become the mandatory challenger for paper titlist David "The Ducker" Haye. But that fight is a way off, so Chagaev stayed busy against Walker, but did little to enhance his stock. Houston resident Walker, 31, lost his third in a row.

[/td][/tr]

[tr][/tr]

[td][/td]
Heavyweight
Denis Boytsov TKO2 Mike Sheppard

[tr][td]Records: Boytsov, 28-0, 23 KOs; Sheppard, 15-12-1, 8 KOs)
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: Boytsov, a 24-year-old contender from Russia living in Germany, had been out since January because of a serious right hand injury that required surgery. But he showed no ill effects from the injury as he made his return and blew out West Virginia's Sheppard, 35. Boytsov dropped Sheppard twice in the first round and two more times in the second (including a fight-finishing right hand to the body) before the fight was called off at 1 minute, 18 seconds. Afterward, Boytsov reported no problems with his hand.
[/td][/tr]

[tr][/tr]

[td][/td]
Cruiserweight
Rakhim Chakhkiev KO1 Chris Thomas

[tr][td]Records: Chakhkiev, 7-0, 6 KOs; Thomas, 17-15-2, 14 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: Chakhkiev, 27, of Russia and living in Germany, was the 2008 Olympic heavyweight gold medalist. As a pro, however, he is fighting as a cruiserweight and looks like a serious prospect. He has good hand speed and head movement and doesn't waste a lot of punches. He took it to Thomas, a 39-year-old journeyman from Chicago, who could not stand up to Chakhkiev's array of punches. Chakhkiev had whacked him around pretty good until ending the fight in style, landing a brutal straight left hand to the pit of the gut. It dropped Thomas to a knee and he took the full count.

Also on the card, former super middleweight titlist Karoly Balzsay (23-2, 17 KOs) knocked out Serbia's Misa Nikolic (6-9, 3 KOs) in the fourth round to win his second in a row after losing two fights in a row, including his title via 11th-round knockout to Robert Stieglitz in August 2009.
[/td][/tr][/table]

Back
Top Bottom