2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

I'm really surprised at the consensus that cotto is done, damaged goods, should retire etc. I mean he's only 29 and yes he has been in quite a few brawls the last few fights but this is boxing you're going to get hit like it or not. The only fights he's been really hurt has been with margarito & pac-man but he's always been a defensive liability even against torres, judah. But, to say that he's done and should retire is a bit premature even though i think 2nite should really gauge what he has left in the tank.

From the few times i've posted in the boxing threads, i've always been an ardent supporter of mac. However, this fight is ironic in the fact that i know and bumped into foreman many times at gleason's in bk. He's a real quiet, modest and humble dude who you couldn't be happier for getting a belt. I hate to root against yuri but i believe he hasn't fought great opposition yet in his career and this will be his toughest fight. Yuri has always had that same amateur on your toes style since golden gloves and it's worked for him with his height and reach. I have seen him take some shots to the head in sparring and dealt with it fine but he doesn't cope with body punching too well due to that long thin frame. That will be the key for cotto - can he go back to that body attack that he was known for? Last few fight he's strayed away from that and throws those 1-2-3 combos and admires his work leaving himself wide open. I think rounds 1-3 are the key to see if steward has implemented anything new in his arsenal and if he actually has worked on that balance problem. Also, cotto needs to get rid of that backpedaling nonsense cause everyone knows that once he starts doing that he's on the defensive and looking not to get hit. He needs a plan b just in case that aggressive, cutting off the ring strategy doesn't work but that's why you have one of the best trainers in there to give you another gameplan. Yuri is not an easy target at all but he doesn't handle pressure very well and likes to dictate the tempo. He also lacks pop in his punches but is quick with that long jab. If cotto can throw him off with some feints, timing his punches/movement and going downstairs then i see a mid to late round stoppage for mac.

martirosyan v. mean joe is a good undercard with 2 undefeated junior mw going at it. mean joe greene likes to throw bombs but he's a patient fighter which he will need to be against vanes. the few times i've seen vanes fight i'm not really impressed with his skills. he's probably an above average fighter who top rank has coddled. i'm really surprised greene hasn't climbed the ranks like jacobs who he has been sparring with to prepare for this fight i heard. he almost fought against sergio martinez but had to withdraw due to an illness. greene fights real similar to another nyc fighter curtis stevens and they both struggle with boxers so this a great test for mean joe.

WIFI FTW - on way to the stadium it better not mf'ing rain cause im hearing thunder
mad.gif
and apologies for this long post 

Back
Top Bottom