2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Confirmed already? Nice. Sergio looked fast and more powerful at 160 so it'd be interesting to see if he stills has that look at 154. That would be a great fight.

How do you feel about Berto moving down Jay? I figured you would be one of the first to comment besides Mike coming in and calling him a bum
laugh.gif

Berto SHOULD beat all them dudes at 140. but he doesnt put his punches together, he doesnt jab and he doesnt dig to the body.

so him losing to Alexander or Bradley wouldnt surprise me at all

Well he's fought around 144-145 before so I don't see his power going down much if at all. Just think he might be drained if he goes all the way down to 140 and fights for their belts instead of them coming up to 143 or 144 to fight for his belt.

Keep an eye on this kid Vanes Martirosyan on the undercard fighting against Joe Greene from Queens.  Vanes and Berto split fights in the amateurs and he beat Tim Bradley too.  Two more prospects into the 154 division that's suddenly getting a little deeper.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Dont fret for Sergio, He is on to bigger better things. and he was stripped of his Middleweight crown not the 154 title he holds.

He is confirmed as HBO & Mayweather's back up plan if the Pacman fight cant be made.

Sergio's athleticism will keep him around vs Mayweather but his deficiency in skill will get him chopped up. even still, I wanna see that fight!

kinda feel bad for him , not much else he can do , kirkland in jail , p Will figh will result in the same fashion ....what else is there for him to do??? he's 35 ..how long will that athleticism last him?
he's not beating may at any weight class , he keeps his hands TOO low , Mayweather would have a field day..

Originally Posted by Proshares

Keep an eye on this kid Vanes Martirosyan on the undercard fighting against Joe Greene from Queens.  Vanes and Berto split fights in the amateurs and he beat Tim Bradley too.  Two more prospects into the 154 division that's suddenly getting a little deeper.
He didn't look too good in his last fight. He was lucky to get a decision.

Dude got knocked down too, then did a chinese pop-up to show he wasn't hurt
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
yea against Ouma, I forgot about the KD. I give him credit for popping right up and then taking the fight to him for the last few rounds. Young kid gotta get tested sooner or later, right? Hopefully he learned from that and doesn't go head first to fight Greene.

Anyone gonna be around the Stadium for the fight?

I saw that Martirosyan fight against Ouma, wasnt really all that impressed, his 1st big step up in comp and he didnt look good at all.

Hopefully there will be a site streaming the USS Cunningham fight, usually hit up his brother in law's house to watch them on the projector. Let's get it.......

i had him lossing to Ouma by a round , sergio destroys him at 154

and to be honest berto is better off going up to 154 then draining at 140 , tim bradleys work rate is too much for a drained berto

Cotto wins by late round stoppage. I think Yuri, at least in the early rounds, will keep the fight competitive with his height/reach advantage and awkward style.

yay, thunderstorms in effect for tomorrow in NYC.  I thought about this months ago and it's one of the reasons I decided not to buy tickets and make any travel plans.  Of course the ring and surrounding areas will be covered so hopefully it will still be on regardless of what happens. 

Jags, they have the ring and press row covered, everything else is wide open
laugh.gif

But the thunderstorms are scattered and mostly throughout the day so hopefully it stays dry.

Vitali offered Haye a 50/50 split that has been declined...

Bobby, if Haye ever gets in the ring with one of those Klitz bros, I'm rooting for a Brit for the first time in my life.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Jags, they have the ring and press row covered, everything else is wide open
laugh.gif

But the thunderstorms are scattered and mostly throughout the day so hopefully it stays dry.

Vitali offered Haye a 50/50 split that has been declined..
Definitely glad i didn't buy tickets because I wouldn't have been anywhere near the ring...

You have to wonder, though, with there being tall metal poles in the middle of the field and all the electronics right below if it could still possibly be called off if there's lightning going on. 

As far as the fight itself, I believe this is a difficult fight for Cotto.  Foreman has a significant height and reach advantage and is just as quick if not quicker then Cotto in addition to being a mover.  He also has a tenancy to lead with his head  and we know Cotto is susceptible to cuts and if that happens he's in serious trouble.   I'm afraid that Cotto might need a KO in order to pull this off but I'm not sure how good Foreman's chin is exactly and how well Cotto's power is at this weight.

I still think Cotto has the superior boxing ability over Yuri. It'll take a few rounds (probably lose 3 early rounds), but MAC will get inside and pummel Yuri. And lets be real, Yuri has NEVER fought a dude of MAC's class. Cotto has been in the ring with boxers/movers (Malagnaggi, Mosely, Judah).

Yuri will succumb to a barrage of Cotto shots in round #9. Cotto wins a 4th MAJOR world title in 3 weightclasses and solidifies his HOF canidacy....that's right I said it.

Originally Posted by Jagshemash

As far as the fight itself, I believe this is a difficult fight for Cotto.  Foreman has a significant height and reach advantage and is just as quick if not quicker then Cotto in addition to being a mover.  He also has a tenancy to lead with his head  and we know Cotto is susceptible to cuts and if that happens he's in serious trouble.   I'm afraid that Cotto might need a KO in order to pull this off but I'm not sure how good Foreman's chin is exactly and how well Cotto's power is at this weight.
Pretty much how I see it. Cotto was already an undersized WW, so I'm not sure how he'll look as a Junior MW.

Still rooting for Cotto tho.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Pretty much how I see it. Cotto was already an undersized WW,
grin.gif
Really?

IMO, he looked like a natural Welter. Not a big Welter like Paul or Margs.  I consider Pac to be a small Welter.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

I still think Cotto has the superior boxing ability over Yuri. It'll take a few rounds (probably lose 3 early rounds), but MAC will get inside and pummel Yuri. And lets be real, Yuri has NEVER fought a dude of MAC's class. Cotto has been in the ring with boxers/movers (Malagnaggi, Mosely, Judah).

Yuri will succumb to a barrage of Cotto shots in round #9. Cotto wins a 4th MAJOR world title in 3 weightclasses and solidifies his HOF canidacy....that's right I said it.
If they were the same size I would probably favor Cotto though a question mark that remains is what he has left after going through some brutal fights recently.  The Malignaggi fight was at 140 and Cotto was the bigger man in that fight.  Same thing with Judah.  It's just not a good thing when someone has a height and reach advantage and is just as quick.  Cotto has never really been a one-punch KO artist, instead his KO's come from accumulation and I think he's going to have a hard time finding Foreman enough for that to happen.  Even Steward has admitted this is going to be a tough fight and that he really didn't want this as his first fight with Cotto but at the same time I think he will make some improvements to Cotto's game as they've been working on things like balance and throwing combinations.

As much as I rock with Cotto, I've got Foreman in a split decision or a knockout in the middle rounds. Too big, too quick and even though he doesn't really have that much power, he is still the heavier fighter coming in. Plus, after the last few fights Cotto had, I just don't see him taking this.

Back
Top Bottom