2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Of all the possible opponents that Mayweather could fight (now that the Pacquiao fight is off) the only intriguing fight available is Paul Williams at 147, butPBF will not fight him he will fight either Malignaggi or some scrub 140 boxer.

Floyd should be criticized if he fights Malignaggi or Matthew Hatton or similar skill level boxers because Manny Pacquiao is going to fight Joshua Clottey whois a tough Welterweight not a 140 fighter like Floyd is looking to fight.

I criticize Paquaio, but his fight with Clottey is a tougher fight than anything Floyd is seeking so Pacquiao doesn't need to be criticized for taking theClottey fight, but Floyd better fight Paul Williams or the winner of Andre Berto or Shane Mosley anything else is just going to look bad in the media.

I feel sad for the people who are suffering in Haiti, and for Andre Berto who lost some family members.

Since everyone is speculating on Floyd's dance partner on the 13th....

How about rematch with Zab?? That is the only name I could come up with...

nerd.gif

^^^what if he takes cintron , i mean considering it would be a tune up fight for say bert/mosley..........(either of which he can get if he wants cause theyall under golden boy and mayweather basically calls the shots till he's no longer the cash cow) i say thats more than a fair fight...................and byfair i mean cintron has a chance of getting 119-109 on one judges score card if he started training last week

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Since everyone is speculating on Floyd's dance partner on the 13th....

How about rematch with Zab?? That is the only name I could come up with...

nerd.gif
call me crazy but that seems borderline risky.......no chance

I don't think he fights Cintron he is now fighting at 154 so if Floyd would fight someone at 154 it should be Sergio Martinez but that won't takeplace.

I don't like a Zab rematch.

^^zab is one of the slickest defenders in boxing and maybe the fastest hands in the sport , if he gave 3 !$+@% about boxing he'd beundefeated..................he's never the lost the 1st round of any fight

I think Kermy has said he'd come back down to 147 for the right price. I don't like the Zab option. I hate the Tim Bradley option unless PBF is goingdown to 140. I wanna see Timmy fight the big fights at 140 and potentially keep himself in this tournament idea that's floating around.

[h2]Hopkins, Jones Jr. agree to fight[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Two months after the long-anticipated Roy Jones Jr.-Bernard Hopkins rematch was left for dead following Jones' stunning first-round knockout loss in an interim bout, the fight was resurrected on Wednesday -- an early birthday present for the aging stars.

Hopkins, who will be 45 on Friday and still ranks among the best fighters in the world pound-for-pound, and Jones, who turns 41 on Saturday, signed contracts to meet in a scheduled 12-round light heavyweight fight on pay-per-view, representatives for both fighters told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

The fight likely will be April 17 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, Hopkins' promoter, said.

"We worked very hard to keep this fight alive and we got it signed on Wednesday," said John Wirt, the CEO of Square Ring, Jones' promotional company. "We're ecstatic that the fight was made and we're looking forward to a great event. There's been a long-standing rivalry between two of the preeminent boxers of our generation. This fight will establish once and for all who is the better fighter between Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr. This is the fight Roy always wanted."

Schaefer said he was in talks with HBO PPV about handling the event, adding that "there are different parties also interested in the fight." HBO's spring pay-per-view schedule is unclear with deals still possible for it to carry fights involving Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.

After numerous failed attempts to make a rematch over the past decade, Jones and Hopkins finally came to terms in September to meet again. However, Jones had already signed for a fight on Dec. 2 in Australia against Danny Green.

Jones, who was due $4 million to fight Green, didn't want to withdraw from the fight, so he faced Green and Hopkins took a tuneup fight on the same day in his hometown of Philadelphia. While Hopkins, who ended a 14-month layoff, cruised to a lopsided unanimous decision against Enrique Ornelas, Jones was shockingly knocked out in the first round by Green.

The deal between Hopkins (50-5-1, 32 KOs) and Jones (54-6, 40 KOs) was contingent upon both men winning their December bouts, so when Jones lost, it appeared they would not fight, although Hopkins continually mentioned Jones as still being a viable opponent and tried to play up the loss to Green as a quick stoppage.

Hopkins explored a fight with Green, but those talks went nowhere, and he had few other notable options. And Jones, who is protesting the loss to Green over a dispute related to the amount of gauze Green used in his hand wraps, still wanted to face Hopkins.

"The interesting thing is the conversations never died down," Schaefer said. "Even after Bernard won and Roy lost, the talks continued and different options were evaluated. But I just felt from talking to Bernard and from the conversations I had with John that they really wanted to fight each other.

"I think there is so much at stake for these guys. This is an event they have been waiting for for 17 years. They would not let anything get in the way of getting this fight finally done. I believe very strongly that at this point in their careers, after everything they have accomplished, I think this is a well-deserved fight for these two guys to finally get it on April 17. Love 'em or hate em, they are two of the most recognized names in the sport of boxing."

In several previous negotiations, Jones and Hopkins had always been hung up on the revenue split. Under the deal they agreed to in September, the split of the money was to be 50-50, but with a knockout provision. If the fight was decided by a knockout, the winner would get 60 percent with the loser getting 40 percent.

Although terms of the new deal were not disclosed, Wirt said that Jones agreed to "a modification" of the original deal with Jones' percentage potentially increasing depending on how the pay-per-view performed.

The knockout provision, however, is still in the new deal.

"The only thing I can say about the structure of the deal is that there is still a substantial financial benefit to the guy who wins by knockout," Schaefer said.

Before either man became a star, they met for a vacant middleweight title on May 22, 1993. Jones won a clear unanimous decision and would go on to dominate boxing, reigning as the pound-for-for king for about a decade while winning titles in four weight classes from middleweight to heavyweight.

After Jones left the middleweight division, Hopkins claimed the vacant title and went on to make a division-record 20 defenses, including becoming the undisputed champion in 2001. After Hopkins lost the middleweight title to Jermain Taylor in 2005, he moved up in weight and upset Antonio Tarver to win the light heavyweight championship in 2006.

Even though Jones lost his last fight, Schaefer said people would be foolish to write him off.

"Those who write Roy Jones off are making a mistake because he will come in motivated more than ever because this is a personal showdown between these guys," Schaefer said. "They were waiting a long time for this fight and here it is. Bernard, at this point in his career, keeps on defying mother time. For Bernard, after all the accomplishments, for him to get up for a fight, he also needs that personal motivation, and he will have it against Roy Jones.

"Those two guys, after all the talking and the build up, and the ups and downs and the cheers and disappointments, finally, they are going to meet again. Bernard won't be judging Roy on his last performance. He knows that would be a big mistake. I think they will both come at their best because of how important this is to both of them."

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

[h2]Kessler fires Olsen, promotes Montoya[/h2]
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Somebody had to take the fall for Mikkel Kessler's lopsided 11-round technical decision loss to Andre Ward in November, and that casualty was trainer Ricard Olsen.

On Wednesday, the former super middleweight titleholder fired Olsen, who had been in the corner for every one of Kessler's fights since his pro debut in 1998.

Kessler was the big favorite against Ward, and the co-favorite with Arthur Abraham to win Showtime's Super Six World Boxing Classic tournament. But Ward, fighting in his hometown of Oakland, Calif., dominated Kessler in their opening round bout of the six-man tournament before an accidental head butt in the 10th round opened a cut over Kessler's right eye.

The wound was severe enough for referee Jack Reiss to stop the bout in the 11th round and send it to the scorecards, where Ward held a commanding 98-92, 98-92, 97-93 lead.

Kessler (42-2, 32 KOs) elevated assistant trainer Jimmy Montoya to head his training in preparation for an April 17 Super Six showdown with titlist Carl Froch (26-0, 20 KOs) of England. They will meet in Denmark in Group Stage 2 of the modified round-robin tournament.

"I really look forward to working with Jimmy," Kessler said. "Just like [Joe] Calzaghe, Ward managed to take my strengths away from me. Neither my corner nor I found any solutions during the fight. But I need to cope with this kind of situation, so I decided to make some changes. It was a very hard decision to part company with my dear friend Ricard Olsen, who has been in my corner in each and every fight of my career.

"Ricard made me the fighter I am today. Without him I would never have made it to this level. I owe him big time and will forever be in his debt for his great support."

Montoya has been around boxing for decades, working with numerous top fighters through the years, including Salvador Sanchez, Alexis Arguello and Hector Camacho Sr.

"The reason why I have decided to bring in new competences into the team is to try and look at the tactics from a new perspective," Kessler said. "Jimmy has been a part of my team before, as an assistant of Ricard, but never as the head trainer. He has a lifelong experience in the world of boxing and I am sure that he will be able to teach me new tactical dimensions and take me to the finals of the Super Six tournament."

Said Montoya, "It was not the real Mikkel Kessler that lost the fight against Ward. We will work hard in training camp to bring out the best in him again. He will be himself against Froch and put on a great performance to pave his way to success in the Super Six tournament."

Chris Meyer, the general Manager of Kessler promoter Sauerland Event, agreed with Kessler's decision to make a change.

"After the fight in Oakland, it was clear that changes had to be made," Meyer said. "We feel extremely optimistic about Jimmy and Mikkel. They are a great team. We have no doubts that Jimmy will help Mikkel back to success and glory, starting with a convincing victory against Froch and leading up all the way to the final of the Super Six tournament."

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

[h2]Free agent Ruiz signs with Golden Boy[/h2]
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Free agent and former two-time heavyweight titlist John Ruiz signed with Golden Boy Promotions on Tuesday.

Ruiz, whose contract with Don King expired, is due to challenge England's David Haye for a version of the heavyweight title, probably on April 3 in London. Golden Boy also promotes Haye.

"I'm excited to become a member of the Golden Boy Promotions family and know that I have a great future ahead of me. I'm going to continue to make history and break records one fight at a time, starting with David Haye this spring," said Ruiz, who became the first Hispanic heavyweight titleholder when he outpointed Evander Holyfield for a belt in 2001. "I know Golden Boy will help get me back to the top of the heavyweight division and to secure my place in the boxing history books."

Ruiz (44-8-1, 30 KOs) was due a mandatory title shot against Nikolai Valuev last fall, but stepped aside to allow Haye to challenge Valuev instead with the guarantee that he would get the first shot at the winner.

Haye won a majority decision against Valuev on Nov. 7 in Germany to claim the title while Ruiz, 38, scored a seventh-round knockout of Adnan Serin on the undercard.

"John Ruiz is a very skilled and talented heavyweight and we are very excited to add him to our elite stable of fighters," Golden Boy president Oscar De La Hoya said. "He has proven time and time again that he has what it takes to battle with the top guys in the division and will continue to do so in 2010 and beyond."

Although Ruiz has faced numerous top opponents during his 18-year professional career, his awkward, grappling style and penchant for clinching opponents has made him a virtual persona non grata on the American television networks, which is why five of his last six bouts have been outside the United States.

But Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, who was ringside for Ruiz's last fight while attending Haye's title victory, said he liked what he saw.

"I saw him fight in Germany and everyone had told me how boring he was," Schaefer said. "But I thought it was an entertaining fight. Ruiz was the first Hispanic heavyweight champion and we are very involved in the Hispanic marketplace and we think John Ruiz hasn't been properly exposed in that market. We want to increase his profile in the Hispanic market. That's really the idea.

"He's been more fan friendly in his recent fights and I think his new trainer, Miguel Diaz, is part of that."

With Ruiz due to face Haye, Schaefer said that also played into the decision to sign him, because whatever happens in the fight, Golden Boy will have the winner under contract.

"That certainly didn't hurt," Schaefer said. "I'd be lying if I would say something different. But I discussed this with Adam Booth, David Haye's manager and trainer. I informed him before we signed Ruiz and he was OK with it. Numerous promoters were after Ruiz after it became known he was no longer under contract with Don King. Frank Warren from England pursued him. If Hayemaker [Haye's company] and Golden Boy were doing the Ruiz fight together it made sense for us to also work with Ruiz."

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.

[h2]Hatton plans final fight before retiring[/h2]
Associated Press

LONDON -- Ricky Hatton wants to end his career on a high note rather than his second-round knockout at the hands of Manny Pacquiao.

box_a_hatton_65.jpg

Hatton

The loss to Pacquiao in an IBO title fight eight months ago is still weighing on the former world light-welterweight champion.

"As a fighter, you don't want your last fight to be like that," Hatton said Wednesday. "I want to finish at the top and I know my last training camp could have been better, so those are the reasons I'm giving it one more go.

"I've sat down and listened to the people that are close to me and know what I'm capable of."

No date or venue has been set for the comeback bout, but Hatton (45-2) wants a tough challenge.

"We're looking at the IBF champion Juan Urango, who I've already fought and beaten," the British fighter said. "It's got to be a top-10 ranked, pound-for-pound fighter or a world champion of some sort."

Hatton's losses have come against the last two pound-for-pound kings, after being stopped in 10 rounds by Floyd Mayweather Jr. in December 2007 for the WBC title.

He then successfully defended his IBO title against Juan Lazcano and Paul Malignaggi, but didn't impress in either fight.

"After the Mayweather defeat, I jumped straight into action straight away and I didn't really perform my best," Hatton said. "But this time I've had a good rest, recharged the batteries and had a really good think, put that last fight really behind me. I'm happy to get back at it now."

Hatton is going to Australia for vacation next week and plans to start getting in shape after he returns. But the big-punching "Hitman" is not looking ahead than one more fight.

"I'm going to have one more fight, maybe two more fights -- it all depends on the performance of the first fight," Hatton said. "It's always hard coming back from a defeat. It would be very foolish of me to say, 'Two more fights, three more fights.'

"You can see I've set the wheels in motion for retirement -- I've got my promotional company now, got my health and fitness, got my clothing brand. I'm not going to have too many more fights. At the minute, I'm definitely just going to have one more."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Plzzzzz to me that Roy jones vs Hopkins story has a old date in it

and inless he just wants to stay active and fight anyone Floyd just needs to wait till after Jan 30

This could have also been golden boy just saying %##$ you to top rank saying Floyd will fight in Vegas so they couldn't hold the pacman vs clottey there

Its 2010 and yall still bringing up Zab Judah ? C'Mon son
Floyd should be ashamed for trying to fight jr welters ?Nate Campbel who is 37-38 and never weight over 138 be a man and fight a full fledged welterweighteveryone else is doing it .
What do you thin about Esirlandy Lara fighting Grady Brewer ? big step up in class this should be a good test

Originally Posted by EdWord

so nobody would get pumped about tim bradley vs floyd mayweather?

Not at 147.

I hope he just waits for for the Shane/Berto winner.

Roy needs to hang them up already, at this point it's just sad to watch.

Originally Posted by mextra45

What do you thin about Esirlandy Lara fighting Grady Brewer ? big step up in class this should be a good test
True big step in class, but Lara wins. Too much talent and youth on Lara's side.

No chance of it happening...but I'd like to see Cotto/PBF. It seems that Cotto is going to campaign at 154. Bobby didn't you come at me, when Imention MAC going up in weight? haha all good...

Anyone in the Boxing thread live in Europe and own a Blu-Ray? If so hit me up, got the Bourne Trilogy that was ordered from Amazon UK, never opened, its PALformat so it wont work here in the US. It won't cost you anything and I'll pay for shipping. A gift from a fellow boxing fan.

MAC gojgn up in weight will be temporary Arum just wants a big name to take Yuri Foremans belt thats all .
Texas will probably give Margarito a new License , he probably never live down the handwrap scandal but if gets a few decent wins at 47 or 54 he will be rightback in the mix .

scott frost i'm in the u.k. why don't you try to make your blu ray player regon free? try looking up the codes online.

Originally Posted by mextra45

Its 2010 and yall still bringing up Zab Judah ? C'Mon son
Floyd should be ashamed for trying to fight jr welters ?Nate Campbel who is 37-38 and never weight over 138 be a man and fight a full fledged welterweight everyone else is doing it .

zab judah is still taht dude , his defense was looking crisp against clottey and his handspeed is still there. i'm telling you if he gets in there focusedthen he's a PROBLEM

I don't know what is on Roy's mind but he needs to stop fighting he must be broke or something because his last fight looked like the end IMO. Willforever be a fan but come on Roy just hang them up.

PBF will destroy any Of the lightweights out there so those fights make no sense at all. The only fight out there that would be intresting would be with PWilland that's a fight we know PBF does NOT want! Manny better not take Joshua Clottley lightly because dude can fight.

Originally Posted by EdWord

zab judah is still taht dude , his defense was looking crisp against clottey and his handspeed is still there. i'm telling you if he gets in there focused then he's a PROBLEM

Boxing fans have been saying this for the past 6 years now

[h4]Martirosyan takes center stage in Top Rank show[/h4]

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

box_t_martirosyan_ouma_576.jpg
Chris Farina/Top RankStepping up: Vanes Martiosyan faces Kassim Ouma on Saturday.

After Vanes Martirosyan, the 2004 U.S. Olympian and blue-chip junior middleweight prospect, polished off Willie Lee in emphatic fashion for a third-round knockout on Dec. 19, he exited the ring already looking to fight again.

"As soon as I stepped out of the ring after that fight, I asked my manager, Shelly Finkel, 'What's next?'" Martirosyan said.

At that point, promoter Top Rank didn't have anything specifically planned for the 23-year-old from Glendale, Calif., but that changed a few days later.

"Top Rank said, 'There's a fight in a few weeks, do you want to fight?' I said, 'Of course I do,'" Martirosyan said. "I've always asked to stay active because that's what I do best. I love to fight. I'm always in the gym. After I win my fights, I'm even in the gym on Monday. I don't train, though. I let people congratulate me and watch video. I just like being at the gym and talking to the guys and watching sparring."

Top Rank was in the process of putting together the debut card for its "Top Rank Live" series, which is slated for 36 shows this year and will run three times per month on Fox Sports en Espanol (with some cards also airing on Fox Sports Net, including the debut). Former welterweight titlist Joshua Clottey, who would subsequently land a shot against pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao, had turned down an offer to fight in the first main event.

That's where Martirosyan (26-0, 17 KOs) came in. He looked so impressive against Lee in a surprisingly easy fight that he would have no problem fighting again a few weeks later.

Hungry for an opportunity to showcase himself, Martirosyan quickly accepted the offer and will headline the series premiere Saturday night (FSN, 11 ET) at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas. The fight is Martirosyan's most significant yet as he steps up to face former titleholder Kassim Ouma (26-6-1, 16 KOs). By all accounts, Ouma has taken the assignment very seriously. He moved his training camp to Las Vegas weeks ago.

"We're ready to make a move with Vanes," Top Rank's Bob Arum said. "We think he's ready for a guy like Ouma and this is the time in his career to make the move. I see nothing but blue horizons for him."

In the co-feature, featherweight prospect (and recent Ventura County, Calif., police academy graduate) Miguel Angel "Mikey" Garcia (19-0, 16 KOs) faces Mexico's' Joksan Hernandez (17-1, 10 KOs).

Ouma, 31, the Florida-based Uganda native who was kidnapped as a child and forced to become a soldier, held a title in 2004 and 2005 before losing four of his last five bouts dating to a 2006 middleweight title shot against then-champion Jermain Taylor. Despite the rut, Ouma still represents Martirosyan's first major league opponent.

"Obviously, the Top Rank team, myself and [trainer] Freddie [Roach] feel Vanes is ready to handle this challenge," Finkel said. "I would hope his youth and strength will negate the experience of Ouma."

Top Rank matchmaker Brad "Abdul" Goodman, who has made all of Martirosyan's fights, is confident but a bit nervous.

"It's definitely a step up," Goodman said. "But if Vanes wants to get that next level and Paul Williams or [titleholder] Sergio Martinez, this is the perfect guy for him to prove that he's ready. Ouma is a seasoned veteran and really experienced. I don't buy that he's a shot guy. I think he's in the best shape possible and will fight his heart out. It's do-or-die for Ouma and he knows it. I think it will be a very tough fight.

"If Vanes wins, it's definitely a great win because he's beating a very competent guy. It's the name, it's beating a former world champion, and after that it's on to bigger and better things."

That's music to Martirosyan's ears. All he wants is a chance to strut his stuff against top opponents.

"All I want is an opportunity to prove myself to everybody. Just give me the chance and I will do it," said Martirosyan, who was a teen when he scored an amateur victory against future junior welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley and split a pair of bouts with future welterweight titleholder Andre Berto. "I am so excited to get in there and show people what I can do with a guy like Ouma. Freddie always tells me I always rise to the occasion.

"My job is to go out there and win my fights against whoever they put in front of me," he said. "I know people say I haven't stepped up yet. I am only 23. I am only doing my job in the ring. The rest is up to my promoter and manager. Now I have a step-up fight. Bob Arum told me this is my year. Same with Shelly. They said get ready to step up. Beating Willie Lee was step one. Ouma is step two. I respect Ouma. He's a good fighter, but there was no hesitancy on my part to accept the fight. I watched Ouma fight on HBO and now I get a chance to fight him. It's like a dream come true."

Martirosyan said it's an honor to be picked to headline the first "Top Rank Live" show, which is available in more than 80 million homes.

"It excites me because I get to set the bar high," he said. "I'm glad they picked me to start off the show. Ouma is a great guy to make me look great. I think he's the right one for the job, with all due respect for him. Ouma is an awkward guy, but he's not even going to touch me."

A victory will position Martirosyan for bigger fights as 2010 progresses. Roach is on record saying he believes Martirosyan is ready to fight for a title. Finkel sees that sort of fight late in the year. Martirosyan also has that confidence.

"I think I am ready to take on the big guys," he said. "If you ask Freddie, he will say I'm ready for Paul Williams. People might say it's too soon, but I want that fight. People will see that fight and say a star is born. But right now I am thinking about Ouma and getting the job done. Then the rest will fall into place."

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.

[h4]Cunningham and Spinks split again[/h4]

box_g_spinks_576.jpg
Joe Murphy/Getty ImagesOn his own again: Cory Spinks has partnered way with trainer Kevin Cunningham.

Trainer Kevin Cunningham and junior middleweight titlist Cory Spinks, who together won the undisputed welterweight title and two junior middleweight titles, have split for the second time, Cunningham told ESPN.com.

Spinks is due to make a mandatory defense against Cornelius "K9" Bundrage in March but Cunningham said he was so disgusted with Spinks' conditioning that he ended things.

"Cory and I are no longer affiliated," said Cunningham, who also served as Spinks' manager for many years. "I fear for his safety because he weighed close to 200 pounds when he finally showed up at the gym and I refuse to try to get him ready for a fight eight weeks away in that condition. I fear for his health. That's how people get hurt in this boxing game."

Spinks and Bundrage had been penciled in for March 6 on the undercard of the Devon Alexander-Juan Urango junior welterweight unification fight, but promoter Don King told ESPN.com it would probably move to a March 27 card he's working on in Europe to allow Spinks additional time to make weight.

King added that he's still searching for a March 6 site because Treasure Island in Las Vegas changed its mind about hosting it.

Cunningham, who trains and manages Alexander, said he doubts Spinks will make the weight.

"When he came to the gym two weeks ago I told him straight out about my decision," Cunningham said. "He just said, 'OK,' and he will do what he will do. I wish him the best but I can no longer be involved with an unmotivated fighter. This whole situation with a fighter who is unmotivated, undisciplined, weighed almost 50 pounds over his fighting weight, it's old. When it gets to a point where you're not excited about going to the gym to train a particular fighter it's time to move on."

When Cunningham and Spinks split for one fight, Spinks lost his junior middleweight belt to Verno Phillips in 2008. For Spinks' next bout, Cunningham was back in the corner as Spinks outpointed St. Louis rival Deandre Latimore to regain a vacant belt in April 2009.

"Cory is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, but the discipline and focus are not there," Cunningham said. "This is the wrong business to be in if you're not going to be focused and disciplined."

[h4]Lara steps up[/h4]

box_g_lara_576.jpg
Mark Ralston/AFP/Getty ImagesErislandy Lara is on the fast track to a title, but first comes business with Grady Brewer.

Besides the new "Top Rank Live" series, which debuts Saturday night, and Golden Boy's monthly "Fight Night Club" series, which is moving from Versus this season, Fox Sports Net has a Jan. 29 (11 p.m. ET) boxing special dubbed "Fight Night with De La Hoya and Hopkins" scheduled from the Hard Rock in Las Vegas. KZ Event and Golden Boy -- which includes hosts Oscar De La Hoya and Bernard Hopkins among its shareholders -- are promoting the rematch between light heavyweight titlist Gabriel Campillo of Spain against Beibut Shumenov, a Las Vegas resident from Kazakhstan. In August, Campillo (19-2, 6 KOs) went to Kazakhstan and outpointed Shumenov (8-1, 6 KOs), a 2004 Olympian who turned pro in 2007 and moved very quickly, to retain his belt via majority decision.

The co-feature is also intriguing as junior middleweight Erislandy Lara (9-0, 5 KOs), a Cuban defector and former world amateur champion on the fast track to a title shot, steps up in competition.

Manager Shelly Finkel believes Lara is ready to challenge titleholder Sergio Martinez. But since that fight isn't in the cards right now, Lara will face easily his most notable opponent in Grady Brewer (26-11, 15 KOs), the experienced 2006 winner of "The Contender."

"This is a big opportunity for me and I'm happy to be fighting a quality opponent like Grady Brewer," Lara said. "I know he's going to come ready to fight, but so am I, and I want to make a statement by giving the fans my best performance yet."

Brewer has won eight fights in a row and including four in row since returning from a serious knee injury that cost him two years.

"There's no denying Lara's talent, but he's not ready for me or this fight," he said. "I've paid my dues the hard way and now it's time for me to make my move. This ain't the amateurs and I'm going to let Lara know that."

[h4]QUICK HITS[/h4]

box_g_pacquiao_65.jpg
Pacquiao

• Although Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather and their handlers killed the planned March 13 megafight in Las Vegas over the drug-testing procedures, the Nevada State Athletic Commission ordered both fighters, who are licensed in Nevada, to submit to the commission's random out-of-competition drug-testing protocol on Dec. 28, before the fight fell apart. Both fighters provided samples. Commission executive director Keith Kizer told ESPN.com that both samples "came back negative for all prohibited substances." Pacquiao provided his sample in the Philippines and it was tested at the IOC lab in Malaysia. Mayweather provided his in Las Vegas, his hometown.

box_g_alvarez_65.jpg
Alvarez

• Top Rank is working on a deal with promoter Tutico Zabala to co-promote popular rising Mexican welterweight Saul Alvarez (30-0-1, 22 KOs). If the deal is finalized, his first bout would be televised on the March 13 Pacquiao-Joshua Clottey pay-per-view view card at Dallas Cowboys Stadium. Alvarez, 19, who has been drawing big crowds in Mexico and gaining exposure on Mexican television giant Televisa, would open the telecast. The promotion for the March 13 show, which Top Rank's Bob Arum said will be called "The Event," will kick off in a few days. Pacquiao is due to arrive in Los Angeles from the Philippines Saturday night. Arum said a news conference to formally announce the fight is scheduled on Tuesday at Cowboys Stadium with a second news conference scheduled at New York's Madison Square Garden on Wednesday. Arum said members of the famed Dallas Cowboys cheerleading squad would be on hand at both press conferences and would serve as round card girls for the fight. Arum added that fight tickets will be priced at $700, $500, $300, $200, $100 and $50.

box_f_julio_65.jpg
Julio

• Interim junior middleweight titlist Alfredo "Perro" Angulo (17-1, 14 KOs) and Joel "Love Child" Julio (35-3, 31 KOs), two of the most exciting 154-pounders, will meet on HBO. The date isn't set, but the fight likely will open a "Boxing After Dark" card that will be headlined by heavyweight Cristobal Arreola, who may fight Tomasz Adamek, at the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, Calif. The working date is April 24. "I think it will be a very exciting fight," said Gary Shaw, Angulo's promoter. "For Angulo, it's an important fight that he must win and almost must win by knockout because people will compare his performance against Julio to James Kirkland's. It can't help but be an exciting fight. Neither guy is backing down." Mexico's Angulo has won two in a row since a points loss to Kermit Cintron in May. Colombia's Julio rebounded from two losses in row to beat a journeyman in October. One of Julio's losses came in a 2008 title fight to Sergei Dzindziruk in Germany followed by a sixth-round knockout loss to Kirkland in March 2009.

box_a_cunningham_65.jpg
Cunningham

• Promoter Don King hasn't been too active lately, but he's lining up a card at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., not far from his Deerfield Beach, Fla., base. King put on a Showtime card there in July headlined by the Joseph Agbeko-Vic Darchinyan bantamweight title bout. Now, he's going back with a March 19 card. King told ESPN.com that the show likely will feature two cruiserweight title bouts, former titlist Steve Cunningham facing Matt Godfrey for the alphabet belt Tomasz Adamek vacated and a defense by Panama's Guillermo Jones. King won the purse bid for Cunningham-Godfrey ($65,200) to beat Main Events' bid of $53,200. King said if he doesn't secure a TV outlet, he will put the card on his Web site, DonKingTV.com, for a nominal fee. "What I really want to do is get sponsors for the show and give it to the people for free," King said. He also said he plans to make a Feb. 20 fight he's co-promoting in Merida, Mexico, between featherweight titlist Elio Rojas (21-1, 13 KOs) and former titlist Guty Espadas (45-7, 28 KOs) available on his Web site.

box_g_luis_collazo_65.jpg
Collazo

• Former welterweight titlist Luis Collazo (30-4, 15 KOs) and brawler Selcuk Aydin (19-0, 15 KOs) could meet for a vacant interim belt on March 27 in Germany or Aydin's native Turkey. Collazo promoter Don King told ESPN.com he's working with Arena Box's Ahmet Öner to make a deal for the fight, which was approved by the WBC because its titleholder, Andre Berto, is signed for a Jan. 30 unification bout with Shane Mosley, and his mandatory defense against Aydin is overdue. "Don came to us about that fight, but he hasn't made us a real offer yet," Nirmal Lorick, Collazo's adviser/trainer, told ESPN.com. "I think it's a good fight for Luis, but it's got to be the right terms. We want to work it out and make sure financially right, especially if he's got to go overseas."

• A pair of title bouts from different locations will be featured on the same pay-per-view telecast Feb. 27 (Integrated Sports, 9 p.m. ET, $34.95). In one bout on "The Double Assault" show, the Philippines' Marvin Sonsona (14-0-1, 12 KOs), who is just 19, faces Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. (17-0-1, 14 KOs) for a vacant junior featherweight title in Vazquez's home country of Puerto Rico. Sonsona was stripped of his junior bantamweight belt before his last fight for failing to make weight and is moving up two divisions. They'll fight for the title Juan Manuel Lopez will vacate when he fights Steven Luevano for a featherweight belt next week. In the other part of the show, Argentina's Hugo Hernan Garay (32-4, 17 KOs), a former light heavyweight titlist, faces Houston's Chris Henry (24-2, 19 KOs) for a vacant interim belt in Laredo, Texas. Also on the Laredo portion will be former unified junior bantamweight titlist Cristian Mijares (38-6-2, 17 KOs) of Mexico against an opponent to be determined.

box_fw_bailey1_sw_65.jpg
Bailey

• Heavy hitter Randall Bailey (40-7, 35 KOs), a former junior welterweight titleholder, can move a step closer to a welterweight title shot by winning his next fight. Promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN.com that he's secured Bailey a March 12 eliminator against Jackson Bonsu (31-3, 24 KOs) in Bonsu's native Belgium. The winner will be one more win away, at most, from a mandatory shot against titlist Jan Zaveck. After Bailey, 35, was stopped in the 11th round by Juan Urango in a junior welterweight title bout in August, he considered retirement but elected to move up in weight. Bailey rebounded with a points win against Germaine Sanders in December before this opportunity came up. "At this stage of his career, Randall isn't hanging around to be an opponent. This is a situation that elevates him if he can win," DiBella said. "He's going to Bonsu's hometown but Randall has a huge advantage in punching power and if you knock him out it doesn't matter what the judges think."

box_a_guerrero1_sw_65.jpg
Guerrero

• Middleweight Fernando Guerrero (17-0, 14 KOs), one of the top prospects in boxing, was supposed to kick off his 2010 campaign on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" on Feb. 19 against Jesus Gonzalez. However, Guerrero suffered a left hand injury early during his fourth-round knockout of Jessie Nicklow on Dec. 18. "(He) got through the fight with one hand," promoter Brian Young of Prize Fight told ESPN.com. "However, there is no serious injury to the hand, but he will probably not fight until late March or April." Hot junior middleweight prospect Shawn Porter (12-0, 10 KOs) headlines the card in his hometown of Cleveland in his first scheduled 12-rounder against Russell Jordan (15-6, 10 KOs).

box_i_funeka_65.jpg
Funeka

• A purse bid for the fight between South Africa's Ali Funeka and Rolando Reyes, who will meet for the lightweight belt vacated last year when Nate Campbell failed to make weight, is scheduled for Jan. 26, according to Funeka co-promoter Gary Shaw. He had hoped to place the bout on Showtime as the opener on his Feb. 6 card in Monterrey, Mexico. However, Shaw said because Funeka's manager in South Africa could not be reached for three weeks, it left him no choice but to make another bout for Feb. 6, which will be headlined by Edwin Valero defending his version of the lightweight title against Antonio DeMarco. The opener is a welterweight fight between big puncher Carlos Abregu and Richard Gutierrez.

box_a_arce01_65.jpg
Arce

• Former two-time junior flyweight titleholder Jorge Arce of Mexico has lost two of his last three bouts, both for junior bantamweight titles, including a clear decision on his home turf to Simphiwe Nongqayi for a vacant belt in September. Yet Arce is getting another title shot despite the poor recent performances. He'll face Indonesia's Angky Angkota on Jan. 30 (FSN) in Mexico, on "Top Rank Live," the new thrice monthly Top Rank-promoted series. Arce and Angkota will meet for the title stripped from Marvin Sonsona, who failed to make weight for a defense in November. Arce, 30, who has been in numerous slugfests, believes his career is on the line. "I want to win, do one or two defenses and then retire," Arce said. "If I lose, I'll retire immediately."

[h4]QUOTABLE[/h4]

box_i_jonesj_65.jpg
Jones

"I have wanted to bring a major boxing event to North Texas for many years, so why not bring in the biggest and the best? Manny Pacquiao is boxing's No. 1 pound-for-pound attraction and the world champion. Manny defending his title against Joshua Clottey is not just a great fight, it's a great event, and one we can showcase to the fullest in Cowboys Stadium. We're going to promote this like it was the Super Bowl." -- Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, on bringing Pacquiao-Clottey to his stadium for their March 13 fight

N'Dou was taller so was Oscar . But 2 out of the 3 have never seen 147 lbs . Cintron isnt a bad choice , Just fight a full sized welter .

"Cory and I are no longer affiliated," said Cunningham, who also served as Spinks' manager for many years. "I fear for his safety because he weighed close to 200 pounds when he finally showed up at the gym and I refuse to try to get him ready for a fight eight weeks away in that condition. I fear for his health. That's how people get hurt in this boxing game."
eek.gif

smh.gif
if it was anyone but K9, I'd have no problem puttin like 5k on this fight
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom