2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

people can claim all they want about PBF ducking fighters but one thing he wont duck is $$$$$ if the money is right he will be in the ring
What about that $8mm he turned down to fight Margs?

we going to act like he didn't make more fighting carlos?
Wasn't he guaranteed $8mm before PPV buys and whatever else w/Margarito and just made $8mm in total after everything was said and done with Baldomir? And he ended up exercising a buy out clause and bought Arum out for $750,000 so he lost that as well.
PBF woulda took the $8mil to fight Margs but he wanted Arum to guarantee him $10mil to fight Cotto after he fought Margs, but Arum would onlyguarantee him $7mil for the Cotto fight(which does't make sense being that Cotto was the bigger draw, so why offer the smaller purse for MAC.) Arum alsodidn't think Floyd could get $20mil to fight Oscar, that's when Floyd split w/ Arum so losing that $750,000 was a great investment.

BTW this all came straight from Bob Arum's mouth in 2006, so end this PBF ducking nonsense...

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2420382

Mayweather turns down $8 million to fight Margarito

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

Pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. rejected promoter Bob Arum's $8 million offer to fight welterweight titlist Antonio Margarito, and heinstead exercised a provision in his contract to buy Arum out and become a promotional free agent, Arum told ESPN.com on Monday.
According to Arum, Mayweather turned down the career-best purse to meet Margarito on Aug. 12 on HBO Pay-Per-View, instead opting for free agency by buyingArum out of their deal for $750,000.

"I did hear from him," Arum said of Mayweather. "He decided not to fight this summer. I made him a tremendous offer. I think Margarito is theriskiest fight for him of anyone out there."

Mayweather adviser Leonard Ellerbe told ESPN.com that Mayweather passed on the fight not because he is ducking Margarito, but because he couldn't beready to fight by Aug. 12. Mayweather injured his right hand during a dominating April 8 victory against Zab Judah.

"Floyd is not 100 percent healthy," Ellerbe said. "He has a bruised right hand. His hand is not broken. It's bruised, but it's a badbruise. He wants to go into any fight 100 percent healthy. If Antonio Margarito happens to be the best available option when he is healthy, so be it.

"We are not turning down Margarito. I want to make that crystal clear. When and if he is the best available option for Floyd's next fight,that's the direction he will move in."

With Aug. 12 no longer set aside for a Mayweather fight, Arum said he will use the date to feature one of his other stars, heavyweight titlist Hasim Rahman,in a mandatory title defense against Oleg Maskaev on HBO PPV.

That bout, a rematch of Maskaev's 1999 knockout victory, took on greater significance last weekend in the wake of Wladimir Klitschko's title-winningknockout of Chris Byrd in Germany.

The reason: Among the four recognized heavyweight title holders, Klitschko became the third from a former Soviet republic to beat an American to win a belt,leaving Rahman as the lone American heavyweight champion and Maskaev poised to give Eastern Europe a sweep of the titles in boxing's marquee division.

Arum said Mayweather preferred to await the outcome of the May 6 Oscar De La Hoya-Ricardo Mayorga fight instead of committing to Margarito because he wouldprefer to fight De La Hoya.

"We're not sitting waiting on De La Hoya," Ellerbe said. "He's in a tough, tough fight with Mayorga."

Many in the sport believe a De La Hoya-Mayweather fight is the biggest fight on the horizon and the only one capable of generating 1 million-plus buys onpay-per-view.

The reason Mayweather opted for the buyout rather than waiting for the May 6 result was because the contract had a limited window for the buyout, one thatexpired before the De La Hoya fight. However, Arum said he would have extended the window if Mayweather had asked. What Arum wouldn't do, he said, wasraise the guarantees for other fights outlined in the contract.

Arum said while Mayweather would have taken the $8 million to fight Margarito, he asked for a $10 million guarantee to fightopponents such as Miguel Cotto and Ricky Hatton, when Arum was only willing to guarantee $7 million.

Arum said Mayweather also asked for $20 million to fight De La Hoya, a fight Arum said he wasn't interested inparticipating in.

"That's not in the cards," Arum said. "He wants $20 million for the De La Hoya fight? It's not there. Sometimes, my man, you gottaknow when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. We'll talk about things down the road."

Ellerbe said Mayweather opted for the buyout so he could be "more in control of when and who he fights next. It's as simple as that. There isnothing bad between Floyd and Bob."

Arum agreed that the split with Mayweather was not on bad terms like their brief breakup last year. In fact, Arum said, "We intend to be back together.Everything with this was honorable and good. I had offered him numbers [for a multi-fight contract extension] that were livable. His expectations are in thestratosphere. He was entitled to buy me out, and he did. We decided this was the best way to handle it. He is a free agent. We have agreed to work with eachother [in the future]."

The split frees Mayweather to make a potential deal with De La Hoya without Arum as part of the promotion. His involvement would have made making a dealalmost impossible: The head of Top Rank has openly feuded with De La Hoya, his former superstar, and their companies rarely do business together as aresult.

Arum said he was simply not interested in participating in a De La Hoya-Mayweather fight, but not because of his distaste for De La Hoya.

"I don't want to, because if I did that fight, I would be working for such a small percentage, it's not worth it," he said.

Instead, Arum is turning his attention to the Rahman-Maskaev fight.

Arum said that he and Maskaev representative Dennis Rappaport are about $300,000 apart on making a deal. If they don't finalize terms, the WBC will holda purse bid May 1 in Mexico City.

But Arum is confident they will make the deal.

"We're very close," he said. "It will take another day to work it out."

Arum said he is already making arrangements to announce the fight at a news conference in New York on May 10. He added that the fight would take place ateither Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., or at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Arum said Margarito could wind up on the Rahman-Maskaev card in the co-feature.

"But it's tentative," Arum said. "If Mayweather decides to fight in September or October, and Margarito could still be a candidate, Iwant him to be flexible."
Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

In 06? PBF was still drawing more than Cotto. Cotto drew big in PR to fight Chop Chop but not so much in his first MSG fight w/Abdullev the fight in ACw/Torres was a decent draw but he was not drawing bigger than PBF in 06 no way. He drew a big fight in the fall/winter of 06 because he fought Paulie who had alot of his Brooklyn following there.

Arum was right now to guarantee him $10mm for Cotto who was still comfortable at 140 fighting there and who would be coming up to fight the top dog in thedivision and Arum was promoting Cotto. So he's not going to guarantee PBF $10mm for that fight, that'd be ridiculous. You're talking like $7mm tofight those two natural junior welterweights is crazy.

And PBF wanted to wait only a month and shoot for September to fight Cotto or Hatton because of his "injury", why not wait a month and take $8mmguaranteed to fight Margarito.

He ducked the fight w/Margarito, there's no way around that. Nowadays, it looks like that was a smart move.

he got more money and a PPV fight out of carlos and it also was a belt on the line

i mean he did fight a better fighter at the time

i cant quote cause im on my phone, but proshares can kiss my ##+ for that miranda comment
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

he got more money and a PPV fight out of carlos and it also was a belt on the line

i mean he did fight a better fighter at the time

He was going to get a PPV fight for fighting Margarito too. Ok, the Ring, WBC and WBO were on the line w/Baldomir and only Margarito only had the IBO at thetime. I dunno about Baldomir being a better fighter at the time.
i cant quote cause im on my phone, but proshares can kiss my ##+ for that miranda comment
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Teddy's comments last night:
http://www.411mania.com/boxing/media/126452

lmao at floyd ducking anyone, if anything he makes financially driven decisions ......how can u knock that??? i hope he gets in the ring with mosley thomay-@#* june-@#*

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

So everyone likes Pacquiao over Clottey???

nerd.gif

clottey's got a chin and is a better pure boxer then cotto , all we can hope for is that he can pick apart pacquiao's defense but heh gotta figuremanny's the favorite.his corner is going to play a big factor

Originally Posted by EdWord

nerd.gif

clottey's got a chin

Im a firm believer Clottey doesnt have a chin.
theres a reason he doesnt throw that many punches and always has those gloves attached to the side of his face.

If he had a chin, he would be able to throw his shots and take a few in the process.

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

how do you copy and paste from boxingscene?

go to printable version

and May VS shane if shane beats berto

berto lose all that weight yet?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by EdWord

nerd.gif

clottey's got a chin

Im a firm believer Clottey doesnt have a chin.
theres a reason he doesnt throw that many punches and always has those gloves attached to the side of his face.

If he had a chin, he would be able to throw his shots and take a few in the process.

I think he has a pretty good chin. He took some clean shots from Margarito and stayed up. Dude just gets lacadaisical (butchered that) in the ring. He'll have rounds where he'll follow the opponent around the ring but not throw one punch.

What happens if Berto wins? Where does PBF go?
nerd.gif

Now that Manny Pacquiao is going to defend his welterweight title against former belt holder Joshua Clottey -- instead of against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the fight the world wanted to see before the sides handled the entire situation like a hand grenade -- on March 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, it's time to start thinking about what else is going to be on the pay-per-view undercard. More on that in a minute.

While Pacquiao-Mayweather would have been on HBO PPV, Top Rank is handling the Pacquiao-Clottey pay-per-view on its own, at least for now, according to company president Todd duBoef, who was with boss Bob Arum in Dallas this weekend meeting with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to finalize the deal, while also taking in the Cowboys' Saturday night NFL wild-card playoff victory against the Philadelphia Eagles as one of Jones' guests.

The stadium won't be set up for the 100,000 capacity. Instead, it will use a setup that would accommodate around 40,000, according to duBoef, who told me the other night he was "blown away" by the stadium.

Whether HBO or another network gets involved in the Pacquiao-Clottey fight remains to be seen, but duBoef said any of them are welcome to make an offer and that there has been some discussion with HBO. But with Mayweather also possibly fighting in March, the network doesn't seem quite sure what it wants to do yet. HBO has a hard decision to make: Support Pacquiao, support Mayweather, support both weak pay-per-views or support neither.

In any event, Top Rank is moving full steam ahead with its event.

DuBoef said former welterweight titleholder Antonio Margarito would fight on the pay-per-view card in the co-feature. Margarito had his license revoked in California for attempting to load his gloves with an illegal substance before facing Shane Mosley in January '09 and is eligible to ask for his license back after a year, although there is no guarantee he will get it.

However, it is possible Margarito will be licensed in Texas without going to California first. It will be interesting to see what happens on that front.

If he's licensed, Margarito's opponent could be Carson Jones (24-7-1, 15 KOs), who thoroughly exposed Tyrone Brunson with a third-round knockout win against the prospect Dec. 4.

In addition to a potential Margarito fight, there are two other bouts Top Rank plans to include on the pay-per-view telecast:

• A welterweight bout between Alfonso Gomez (21-4-2, 10 KOs) and former two-time lightweight champ Jose Luis Castillo (60-9-1, 52 KOs). It's a meaningless fight, but it could at least have some fireworks. Gomez's most recent bout was on the Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto undercard Nov. 14. He won a six-round technical decision against fringe contender Jesus Soto Karass. Castillo has won four bouts in a row against woeful opposition in Mexico.

• A showcase for junior featherweight prospect Roberto Marroquin (11-0, 8 KOs), a 20-year-old from Dallas with a bright future. Marroquin has an interim bout Feb. 6.

I'll talk #+%$ like I won't buy it but probably will. Why are they still giving Castillo fights?

like gunna said, Clottey keeps his gloves glued to his face.... he was KD by a Cotto jab (or was it a short hook?)

so Arum does all his talking and the PBF VS pacman fight doesnt get done

so he sets up pacman VS Clottey who is a top rank fighter

will put Margocheater on the card in the only state that will give him a license quick

and has it in cowboys stadium where he wanted the PBF VS pacman fight at

anyone else smell something fishy?

You put it that way, it sounds like he's trying to set up Margs/Pacquaio in Dallas...

It was a jab Dako.

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

like gunna said, Clottey keeps his gloves glued to his face.... he was KD by a Cotto jab (or was it a short hook?)
dako, from my experience, a fighter always on the defensive, has a reason for doing that

it was like a up jab or somethin, and he just went down like ...what the hell!

not even that pro

he just set everything up where arum himself is going to be making major $$$

Ah, well that too. I've said it a ton of times, this dude is the damn devil on Earth
laugh.gif

If Cotto stands on his decision to not fight Margarito at all, I can see Bob trying to match Margs/Manny later in the year in Dallas. Cheater trying to redeemhis name versus the savior of the world. I can see the promotion now.

Ah, well that too. I've said it a ton of times, this dude is the damn devil on Earth
laugh.gif

If Cotto stands on his decision to not fight Margarito at all, I can see Bob trying to match Margs/Manny later in the year in Dallas. Cheater trying to redeem his name versus the savior of the world. I can see the promotion now.

why do people hat on marg , he still my dude lmaooo its like rooting for the bad guy in the movie

btw i been watching prediction videos and the mayweathers seem to be on point like 99.% of the time....predicted b-hop over pavlik...mosley over marg(at thetime a crazy prediction) and manny over cotto(floyd claiming cotto lost against clottey)

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

Now that Manny Pacquiao is going to defend his welterweight title against former belt holder Joshua Clottey -- instead of against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the fight the world wanted to see before the sides handled the entire situation like a hand grenade -- on March 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, it's time to start thinking about what else is going to be on the pay-per-view undercard. More on that in a minute.

While Pacquiao-Mayweather would have been on HBO PPV, Top Rank is handling the Pacquiao-Clottey pay-per-view on its own, at least for now, according to company president Todd duBoef, who was with boss Bob Arum in Dallas this weekend meeting with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to finalize the deal, while also taking in the Cowboys' Saturday night NFL wild-card playoff victory against the Philadelphia Eagles as one of Jones' guests.

The stadium won't be set up for the 100,000 capacity. Instead, it will use a setup that would accommodate around 40,000, according to duBoef, who told me the other night he was "blown away" by the stadium.

Whether HBO or another network gets involved in the Pacquiao-Clottey fight remains to be seen, but duBoef said any of them are welcome to make an offer and that there has been some discussion with HBO. But with Mayweather also possibly fighting in March, the network doesn't seem quite sure what it wants to do yet. HBO has a hard decision to make: Support Pacquiao, support Mayweather, support both weak pay-per-views or support neither.

In any event, Top Rank is moving full steam ahead with its event.

DuBoef said former welterweight titleholder Antonio Margarito would fight on the pay-per-view card in the co-feature. Margarito had his license revoked in California for attempting to load his gloves with an illegal substance before facing Shane Mosley in January '09 and is eligible to ask for his license back after a year, although there is no guarantee he will get it.

However, it is possible Margarito will be licensed in Texas without going to California first. It will be interesting to see what happens on that front.

If he's licensed, Margarito's opponent could be Carson Jones (24-7-1, 15 KOs), who thoroughly exposed Tyrone Brunson with a third-round knockout win against the prospect Dec. 4.

In addition to a potential Margarito fight, there are two other bouts Top Rank plans to include on the pay-per-view telecast:

• A welterweight bout between Alfonso Gomez (21-4-2, 10 KOs) and former two-time lightweight champ Jose Luis Castillo (60-9-1, 52 KOs). It's a meaningless fight, but it could at least have some fireworks. Gomez's most recent bout was on the Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto undercard Nov. 14. He won a six-round technical decision against fringe contender Jesus Soto Karass. Castillo has won four bouts in a row against woeful opposition in Mexico.

• A showcase for junior featherweight prospect Roberto Marroquin (11-0, 8 KOs), a 20-year-old from Dallas with a bright future. Marroquin has an interim bout Feb. 6.

Thats got bad idea written all over it.

smh.gif

Its been a long time since I had to play for a Pacquaio fight, deal comes with free food and beer too

pimp.gif

smh at castillo still fighting....dont these dudes have a legit chance of becoming trainers or something ...dudes funna bust a kidney fighting

Back
Top Bottom