[::2009 Champion LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD Vol. Boring Non-News Days Causing In-Thread Tension::]

f20a37ecf78366f3f1e8236c5041de53-getty-88620135ab010_ron_artest.jpg

adff04fcbef2b1ec28a646515bbd9be7-getty-88620135ab015_ron_artest.jpg

Fiery folk get elbowed in the chest, say it's their throat and then chase down the player to get in his face in the middle of the game? Thas"fiery"?

That's ridiculous. And stupid. And one of the dumbest moments I have ever seen on a court. The brawl was more deserving. At least dude actually did hithim with the beer cup. Artest throat wasn't even in danger and he ran aournd like a girl hoping the refs would give him a hug or something.

You saying that you feel he has learned, and is applying it, and is working and improving his game is reeeeeeaching. You hope he's doing all those things,I do too, but you can't honestly bet your life on it believe that it's true. No way. And as far as improving, not many players improve their game at30. Trevor is improving his game, he just turned 24. I'm pretty sure Artest's game is now headed the downside as far as speed, quickness, reactiontime, recovery from tough greuling games, etc. Not sayin he's done, but he don't feel the same the morning after a game as he did when he was 24either.

Putting faith in a guy like him following Kobe and Phil around is foolish. If we're playin 2K10, yeah, we're better, but this ain't video games. These are grown men. Artest been this way for 30 years, now he's going to change because the color of his new jersey and his bff and new grey hairedcoach?
tired.gif
Maybe I'm hard on guy, but when is he gonna prove mewrong? Hasn't yet has he? People wonderin about Ariza bein a one month wonder, well Trevor just uped his level of play inthe postseason HUGE. Artest been to the playoffs numerous times. When has he uped his level of play?

Again, 40 percent, 39 percent, 38 percent, 38 percent, and finally 39 percent.

And that 39 percent was after a torrid start to the Laker series in which he went 50 percent the first two games, then went OFF on us, 4-19, 4-15, 6-17, and 3for 10 in a closeout game 7. Being guarded by the lighter, weaker Trevor Ariza, whom we just let walk over a little more money, but alot more upside and tonless headaches.

He also had a great game 1 and 6 vs Portland, he deserves credit for that. The middle 4? 8-20, 3-8, 5-20, and 3-9. Being guarded by the younger, weaker,lighter rookie Nic Batum, and younger weaker Travis Outlaw.

OUTSTANDING perfromances in the playoffs from our new sexy acquisition. Can't wait to see this guy lace em up.

What is he gonna do, all of a sudden go up to 50 percent just like that? Is he not going to get scored on over and over by Brandon Roy this time? Thelight's gonna go on at 30? Cuz of Kobe, and Phil?
grin.gif

This is what I talk about when I talk about winning. One glance at his postseason record should make each and every one of you want to throw up. I do.

sick.gif

Oh and before anyone tries to say he's not expected to be the man in LA, he wasn't expected to be the man in Indy or Sac either. Or Houston, til thelast 4 games.

He has always been a 2-3 type guy, second level, non franchise, whatever everywhere he's played. His role don't change on LA.

His playoff expectations will be the same here, as they were on other teams. Look how well's he's performed to this point.
tired.gif

Yawn...ok CP you've made it blatantly clear that you hate this acquisition. Artest has yet to play a GAME with LA and you are predicting gloom and doom.You know what, wjatever he's done in the past has nothing to do with or is any indication what he will do with this group. He won't be the focal pointof the offense for one, and he should get better looks when you have Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom and Andrew (well maybe not him) getting most of theattention, so he won't have to put up all those crazy, difficult shots.

As far as Trevor, he was a product of Kobe and Pau to some extent getting all of the attention and him getting WIDE open shots and finally hit them (Trev didshoot 31% from 3 and 46% overall in the regular season even when getting wide open shots) Like I said before, Sasha had a good season and playoffs before anddude fell completely off the map this year, I wouldn't want that to happen again. Do you really think that Artest won't get the best looks he'sever seen on any team that he's played on?

Originally Posted by CP1708

Oh and before anyone tries to say he's not expected to be the man in LA, he wasn't expected to be the man in Indy or Sac either. Or Houston, til the last 4 games.

He has always been a 2-3 type guy, second level, non franchise, whatever everywhere he's played. His role don't change on LA.

His playoff expectations will be the same here, as they were on other teams. Look how well's he's performed to this point.
tired.gif
Ok you maybe right in Indy cause JO and Reggie were on there. Who else was expected to be the guy in Sacramento or Houston when Yao and T-Mac wentdown? Artest's role will be different because he doesn't have to be an offensive force AT ALL for us to win, he just needs to play good defense andwhen Kobe's off the floor we finally won't look like idiots out there on offense, at least we know if called upon Artest CAN create his own offense.He's one of the few guys to avg. 15 pts, 5 boards, and 2 steals for his entire CAREER (min 10 seasons) and you're making this guy out to be Kwame Brownor something.

I mean he's avg 17 pts and 5.5 boards for his career in the playoffs in 44 games...people getting gassed about Trev doing 11 and 4 in one playoff run isfalling into that trap again ("contract year")

Yes, I agree he should get better looks. No argument there.

Sasha fell off due to a huge drop in playing time due to.......Trevor Ariza. Sasha played the 2 in crunch time all year, with Kobe at the 3. Thiswouldn't happen to Trevor next year as he would still be the strating 3 and on the court all year.

In fact, if we didn't sign Artest and played it like 08, Sasha's minutes would've increased, and he should have played better. But eh, we'llnever know.

Yes, I agree he should get better looks. No argument there.

Sasha fell off due to a huge drop in playing time due to.......Trevor Ariza. Sasha played the 2 in crunch time all year, with Kobe at the 3. This wouldn't happen to Trevor next year as he would still be the strating 3 and on the court all year.

In fact, if we didn't sign Artest and played it like 08, Sasha's minutes would've increased, and he should have played better. But eh, we'll never know.
just stop already.. talk all the crap u want about artest when the season starts and he does do horrible for the team...
played it like 08? last time i checked we dint win the championship that year..

That Kings team had Bibby, Miller, Bonzi, a young Martin, and Abdur Rahim. Artest fits somewhere in the middle of that in terms of needs on offense. Andif he's 3-11, feel free to pull it back and start dishin to the other guys.

And like I said, in Houston he wasnt the focal point til the final 4 games.

whats up with the "stop it" stuff. Yall are the ones eggin dude on its clearly obvious his opinion on RA all the stats yall are pullin out and methodman length posts arent going to change his mind.

Originally Posted by DontStepOnMyShoes

whats up with the "stop it" stuff. Yall are the ones eggin dude on its clearly obvious his opinion on RA all the stats yall are pullin out and method man length posts arent going to change his mind.

laugh.gif

But just ike Rodman grabbing rebounds like crazy on the court and wrestling and marrying himself off the court, I won't care. Be a Tru Warrior with your 'SO HOOD' shirt and 'SO GUTTA' hat and your wack 'new artists' signed onto your label; do whatever, so long as you're improving yourself on the court. If you're the type to just stay at home with the wife and kids off the court but you're constantly trying to improve your game on the court, I'm good. If you're the type to wild out off the court but you're constantly trying to improve your game on the court, I'm good.

He says he wants to win. That's all that matters.

hoepfully lakers sign Odom quick. Artest improvement over Ariza. lets go for back to back titles!!!!!!!!!

Who was the best player on that Kings team though? Artest. Who was the best player on Houston when Yao and T-Mac didn't play? Artest. And that's mostlywhen you see him try to take over offensively...it seems that your big gripe is his shooting percentage which will go up cause he'll get better looks. Whowill be the best player on the Lakers if Kobe doesn't play? Not Artest. What about Pau? Not Artest. Only maybe when you get down to LO and Drew will hehave to be THAT guy on the Lakers so that's why I don't understand why you are ragging on him so much, it's a COMPLETELY different scenariohe's going to be a part of.

Originally Posted by AG 47

But just ike Rodman grabbing rebounds like crazy on the court and wrestling and marrying himself off the court, I won't care. Be a Tru Warrior with your 'SO HOOD' shirt and 'SO GUTTA' hat and your wack 'new artists' signed onto your label; do whatever, so long as you're improving yourself on the court. If you're the type to just stay at home with the wife and kids off the court but you're constantly trying to improve your game on the court, I'm good. If you're the type to wild out off the court but you're constantly trying to improve your game on the court, I'm good.

He says he wants to win. That's all that matters.

and thats that
soo if he wants to win he will know his role and do what is needed

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Who was the best player on that Kings team though? Artest. Who was the best player on Houston when Yao and T-Mac didn't play? Artest. And that's mostly when you see him try to take over offensively...it seems that your big gripe is his shooting percentage which will go up cause he'll get better looks. Who will be the best player on the Lakers if Kobe doesn't play? Not Artest. What about Pau? Not Artest. Only maybe when you get down to LO and Drew will he have to be THAT guy on the Lakers so that's why I don't understand why you are ragging on him so much, it's a COMPLETELY different scenario he's going to be a part of.
He also had a great game 1 and 6 vs Portland, he deserves credit for that. The middle 4? 8-20, 3-8, 5-20, and 3-9. Being guarded by the younger, weaker, lighter rookie Nic Batum, and younger weaker Travis Outlaw.

Was Yao not in that series? Didn't Yao have a ton of trouble getting the ball in that same series?
nerd.gif

Who was the lockdown defenders on Ron?
nerd.gif

How did Roy do against Ron in that series? When Ron called him the greatest ever.
nerd.gif

wink.gif

sasha fell off cuz he was a bum who couldnt make a shot. ask kerr, paxson, or armstrong if their limited playing time hurt their productivity.... nothing newhere. you play well, you get minutes....

I'll chime in.

Ron in Chicago: Uhhhh, I don't know about this one
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Ron in Indy: Played his role well for the most part. They were contenders till Ben Wallace decided to ruin things
eyes.gif
Ron in Sacramento: Helped lead the Kings to the playoffs when he got traded there and gave the Spurs all they could handle. He then missed games and startedplaying out of control.
Ron in Houston: Brought more toughness, but his shot selection was poor and he was shooting terribly inefficient the entire season.

I'm fairly confident he'll mesh with the rest of the guys. I just hope Kobe and Phil check him when needed.

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Who was the best player on that Kings team though? Artest. Who was the best player on Houston when Yao and T-Mac didn't play? Artest. And that's mostly when you see him try to take over offensively...it seems that your big gripe is his shooting percentage which will go up cause he'll get better looks. Who will be the best player on the Lakers if Kobe doesn't play? Not Artest. What about Pau? Not Artest. Only maybe when you get down to LO and Drew will he have to be THAT guy on the Lakers so that's why I don't understand why you are ragging on him so much, it's a COMPLETELY different scenario he's going to be a part of.
He also had a great game 1 and 6 vs Portland, he deserves credit for that. The middle 4? 8-20, 3-8, 5-20, and 3-9. Being guarded by the younger, weaker, lighter rookie Nic Batum, and younger weaker Travis Outlaw.

Was Yao not in that series? Didn't Yao have a ton of trouble getting the ball in that same series?
nerd.gif

Who was the lockdown defenders on Ron?
nerd.gif

How did Roy do against Ron in that series? When Ron called him the greatest ever.
nerd.gif

wink.gif

Well if you saw the series with the Blazers, Houston had trouble getting Yao the ball then as well cause their guards didn't seem to know howto make a proper post entry pass, same thing in the Lakers series for the most part...and who would be the next guy in line if Yao isn't getting the ballon the offense b/c of whatever reason? Artest. I didn't hear anyone complaining that Ron was taking shots away from Yao (I mean he avg 11 shots a game inthe playoffs) it was that some of the shots that he did take were contested and crazy (which again he won't have to do on this team)

After Yao got hurt LA was able to focus their almost all of their attention on Ron cause he was the best player then and allowed Brooks and Scola to go off.No, Ron didn't shoot well, but his presence on the court was big. We all saw what happen when Trev or Kobe tried to guard Ron on the block, they gotbodied.

Finally outside of that Game 2 explosion in Portland where Roy dropped 42, Ron and Battier (you have to remember they both were guarding him) they held B-Royin check.

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Ron Artest signed Wednesday with the NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers, the team he wanted to join for years.

Artest, who played for the Houston Rockets last season, received a five-year deal worth about $33 million, according to his agent, David Bauman.

Artest

Seated next to Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak, Artest professed that he has wanted to be a Laker for several years, but the timing was never right.

"This was a long time coming," Artest said. "As I started to compete against the Lakers and against Kobe [Bryant], I had respect for him and Ialways wanted to be a teammate of his."

During the playoffs, Artest could be seen courtside at Lakers games and was in attendance during the NBA Finals last season, when Los Angeles lost to Boston.After the Celtics clinched the championship in Game 6, Artest approached Bryant in the locker room and told him he wanted to help him out.

"I just wanted to make that connection," Artest said. "I wanted to let him know that he played tough and he played great and I can't wait tobe a teammate of his."

Artest agreed to a deal last week, but couldn't sign it until Wednesday. The Lakers also re-signed guard Shannon Brown.

Brown signed a two-year contract for $4.2 million. The Lakers are still trying to retain free agent forward Lamar Odom, who averaged 12.3 points and 9.1rebounds during the playoffs.

Kupchak said he has been in constant contact with Odom's agent, Jeff Schwartz.

"We talk several times a day and I'm hopeful that something can be worked out," Kupchak said. "I really can't be any more optimisticthan that."

Kupchak said he had no reservations about signing the colorful and enigmatic Artest, since he has stayed out of trouble for the last few years.

Artest is best remembered for charging into the stands when he played for the Indiana Pacers and allegedly punching a fan after a beer was thrown at him in theclosing minute of the team's game against the Detroit Pistons, causing a melee in 2004.

"I think if you would watch the way he's conducted himself on the court the last several years, you would feel the same way I feel," Kupchaksaid. "We've all been in situations we may have done something we regret, but I think if you don't do it again and you learn from it and youdemonstrate that you've learned, then I think that's enough."

In 10 seasons with Chicago, Indiana, Sacramento and Houston, Artest has averaged 16.1 points, 5.1 rebounds and 3.2 assists. The 2004 defensive player of theyear believes he will improve the Lakers on that end.

"I'm still able to stay in front of guys and I'll have some shot blockers [behind me]," said Artest, referring to Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum."When you've got two 7-footers and hopefully Lamar Odom, all these guys behind you, I can just get into my man defensively and they're going tohave to adjust their shot."

Bryant has said he's not sure the Lakers are a better team with Artest, who agreed with the assessment.

"It's not a given that just because you add me to the team we're going to be the No. 1 team," Artest said. "You've got to put thatwork in.

"That's something that I'm not afraid to do."

Artest will wear No. 37 next season, a number a fan suggested to help him honor Michael Jackson. Jackson's "Thriller" album was the No. 1 recordfor 37 straight weeks.

Artest called deferring to Bryant a "no-brainer" because his goal is to win a championship.

"Kobe has four rings, I've got none," Artest said. "I've got to have one; I need one bad."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

CP1708:
Fiery folk get elbowed in the chest, say it's their throat and then chase down the player to get in his face in the middle of the game? Thas "fiery"?
You're doing what Trelvis did the other day; being non-specific.

So just so we're clear, when are you talking about?
CP1708:
Oh and before anyone tries to say he's not expected to be the man in LA, he wasn't expected to be the man in Indy or Sac either. Or Houston, til the last 4 games.
Bull. Freaking. Shhhhh.

Once T-Mac went down, it was definitely him and Yao. Once Bibby and Co. skipped town, it was on him. Was he brought in to be the man in CHI, IND, Sacto, orHOU? No, he wasn't brought in to be the guy. Did his role change eventually? Yes, and that's something he can't do. Hell, I can't handle myrole being changed. I have a role at work that I am extremely comfortable with, and 've already been offered an upward position, and I declined. I likewhere I'm at. If it were forced upon me instead of me being asked, I wouldn't handle it well, because I'm a hothead as well. You'd see mewild'n out (word to Nick Carey) to, in large part because of my discomfort with the spotlight.

You know what, you're right.

Screw Artest. Damn bum. Why the hell didn't we call Gortat?
NaS:
Ron in Indy: Played his role well for the most part. They were contenders till Ben Wallace decided to ruin things
eyes.gif
Ron in Sacramento: Helped lead the Kings to the playoffs when he got traded there and gave the Spurs all they could handle. He then missed games and started playing out of control.
Ron in Houston: Brought more toughness, but his shot selection was poor and he was shooting terribly inefficient the entire season.

I'm fairly confident he'll mesh with the rest of the guys. I just hope Kobe and Phil check him when needed.

Ron in Indy: No, dude. It was Ron's fault Ben went after him hard, Ron's fault the fan threw beer on him, Ron's fault S-Jax threwhaymakers in the stands, Ron's fault fans came on the courts, Ron's fault jermaine turned into Johnny Cage, as well as Ron's fault for going intothe stands himself. ALL of it was Ron's fault. Damn loser, SOLELY responsible for that team's demise.

Ron in Sacto: Helped lead the Kings to the playoffs?
laugh.gif
You mean'Didn't get in the way of Bibby's and Peja's all-world talents getting the team to the playoffs'? Is that what you meant? Becausethat's what happened. But then when they were gone, what happened? Exactly. The real Artest came out (at least, the player that people like to label'the real Artest' when they're overlooking the Artest that helped lead the Kings to the playoffs, giving Timmy D all he can handle. That's thefake Artest.)

Ron in Houston: Brought more toughness?! Are you serious?! That's all Battier and Landry and... and... and Yao!! That's toughness. All he did was,again, stay out of the way while those 3 did the damn thing. It was all them, with his only credit being 'stay out of the way' (and again, that'sthe fake Artest. The real Artest would have screwed it up, but he was... hiding.)

And you hope Kobe and Phil can check him? He's a thirty-year-old, impossible to be checked.

Impossible.

IMPOSSIBLE, I say!!

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

CP1708:
Fiery folk get elbowed in the chest, say it's their throat and then chase down the player to get in his face in the middle of the game? Thas "fiery"?
You're doing what Trelvis did the other day; being non-specific.

So just so we're clear, when are you talking about?
CP1708:
Bull. Freaking. Shhhhh.

Once T-Mac went down, it was definitely him and Yao. Once Bibby and Co. skipped town, it was on him. Was he brought in to be the man in CHI, IND, Sacto, or HOU? No, he wasn't brought in to be the guy. Did his role change eventually? Yes, and that's something he can't do. Hell, I can't handle my role being changed. I have a role at work that I am extremely comfortable with, and 've already been offered an upward position, and I declined. I like where I'm at. If it were forced upon me instead of me being asked, I wouldn't handle it well, because I'm a hothead as well. You'd see me wild'n out (word to Nick Carey) to, in large part because of my discomfort with the spotlight.

You know what, you're right.

Screw Artest. Damn bum. Why the hell didn't we call Gortat?
NaS:
eyes.gif
Ron in Sacramento: Helped lead the Kings to the playoffs when he got traded there and gave the Spurs all they could handle. He then missed games and started playing out of control.

Ron in Indy: No, dude. It was Ron's fault Ben went after him hard, Ron's fault the fan threw beer on him, Ron's fault S-Jax threw haymakers in the stands, Ron's fault fans came on the courts, Ron's fault jermaine turned into Johnny Cage, as well as Ron's fault for going into the stands himself. ALL of it was Ron's fault. Damn loser, SOLELY responsible for that team's demise.

Ron in Sacto: Helped lead the Kings to the playoffs?
laugh.gif
You mean 'Didn't get in the way of Bibby's and Peja's all-world talents getting the team to the playoffs'? Is that what you meant? Because that's what happened. But then when they were gone, what happened? Exactly. The real Artest came out (at least, the player that people like to label 'the real Artest' when they're overlooking the Artest that helped lead the Kings to the playoffs, giving Timmy D all he can handle. That's the fake Artest.)

Ron in Houston: Brought more toughness?! Are you serious?! That's all Battier and Landry and... and... and Yao!! That's toughness. All he did was, again, stay out of the way while those 3 did the damn thing. It was all them, with his only credit being 'stay out of the way' (and again, that's the fake Artest. The real Artest would have screwed it up, but he was... hiding.)

And you hope Kobe and Phil can check him? He's a thirty-year-old, impossible to be checked.

Impossible.

IMPOSSIBLE, I say!!

Uh, I was talking about in Sacto when they were in the playoffs, he was not the man. After Bibby left and they didn't make the playoffs, I could careless. My bad for not bein clear, but in the playoffs, in Sac, he didn't have to be option 1. Nor in Indy. And in Houston for their first 9 games, he wasnot option 1, in the final 4 he was.

And again, I am not bringing up the brawl, in Indy BEFORE the brawl, he shot what in the playoffs? As a 3rd option. I've said 6 times, not the brawlseason, that was a lost season, and I didn't blame him for anything except going after the beer cup guy, whom he had more reason to chase after then theKobe elbow to the throat that didn't happen in LA in game 2.
Again, the YEAR BEFORE THE BRAWL.

And Ron missed a game in that San Antonio series for elbowin about the shoulders. Something he said he doesn't do when Kobe didn't elbow him in thethroat. But, we'll overlook that.

But ok, guys like him change all the time. As stated, I'm sure he'll hit 50 percent of his shots, won't dribble too much, won't get taken toschool on defense, won't act a clown at any point, and will be so clutch in the playoffs that Horry and Fish will be jealous of dude. Because he's oneof us now. That makes all the difference.

Oh and, since they were on his doorstep at midnight, it means he was their #1 priority, not Ariza and Odom as it shoulda been. Hope it works out.

Back
Top Bottom