2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

Arum losing it
laugh.gif

Congrats to Pac Man! Big win for Manny and the people of the Philippines. This was a very close fight but Manny showed that his left hand ain't somethingto take lightly. He strayed a little after the knockout and had to regain his composure after the cut over his right eye as he seemed really bothered by it.Props to Marquez for making the fight interesting, But my man Manny deserved the victory in the end.

Bob Arum was out-of-line in his tirade. Marquez and his team have their opinion, and it isn't absurd what they're saying. Although Marquez was moreaccurate and tactical, Pacquiao definitely had the fight looking like he could take it at any moment; it could've gone either way. I'd like to see themgo at it agian.

500 bucks down the toilet for me.
I had Marquez winning 115-113 Bob Arum is wrong for going off like that

Did anyone go to the fight? it was crazy in there after the KD in the 3rd i couldnt hear myself screaming. It was hard to judge the fight from all the way inthe upper deck, but after watching the replay i scored it 114-113 pacquaio.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

is it safe to enter this thread again?
Yeah, they all cleared out.

laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

It actually didn't get too bad. Maybe my title change plan actually worked a little bit. Unfortunately i'm gonna have to do it again in 2 monthsbefore the De La Hoya fight.

aite.. time to move on. Looking forward to Katsidis destroying Casamayor. Cable company here where i live has taken away my boxing channels so looks likeI'm gonna have to watch this a week or 2 after the actual event. I just got done watching Campbell Diaz a while ago on youtube
eyes.gif

andy lee vs brian vera on friday night fights too. i finally get to see this up-and-coming irishman against the jaidon's favorite stan; it should be good.

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
Choose a Month March 2008 February 2008 January 2008 December 2007 November 2007
[/td] [/tr][/table]http://
[h1]How about 'The Mexecutioner'?[/h1]
posted: Saturday, March 8, 2008 | Print Entry

Random thoughts are back … • Everyone who follows Manny Pacquiao knows he's dominated Mexican fighters, winning seven consecutive fightsagainst them, including the sensational rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez last week. That came on top of wins against ErikMorales (twice), Marco Antonio Barrera, Jorge Solis, Hector Velazquez and OscarLarios. Some in the media have taken to calling Pacquiao the "Mexican Assassin," but I'm going with a new nickname, courtesy ofBernie Bahrmasel, the excellent Chicago publicist who handles lightweight titlist David Diaz, who is likely to bePacquiao's next opponent. Berndawg, as he is dubbed, came up with a gem for Pacquiao: "The Mexecutioner." I love it.
• Here's my dream schedule for Pacquiao: challenge Diaz this summer. Fight a third fight with Marquez at the end of the year. Be ready to make aneight-figure payday next May as the opponent for Oscar De La Hoya in his swan song, since I don't believe for one moment that De La Hoyawill actually fight a third fight this year in December, as he has said he would do.

• Was this a bad month for the Marquez family or what? First Rafael Marquez dropped a split decision in his memorable rubber match withIsrael Vazquez on March 8 and then big brother Juan Manuel lost a split to Pacquiao. Ouch.
• Here we go again with Showtime and its falseadvertising. The latest promo running on the network is to call attention to an excellent April 12 doubleheader featuring a pair of light heavyweight titlebouts, Chad Dawson defending against ex-champ Glen Johnson and Clinton Woods defending against former champAntonio Tarver. So far, so good -- until the voiceover declares that the card features the four best light heavyweights. Uhhh, no. Perhaps youmay have heard of Bernard Hopkins, the legitimate division champion, who, by the way, kicked the snot out of Tarver in 2006 to win thechampionship and knocked Johnson out in a 1997 middleweight defense?
• If you're Steve Forbes, this is a bad sign of your fate on May 3, when you face De La Hoya. As if Forbes wasn't a big enoughunderdog already, it should be noted that De La Hoya seems to be taking the fight -- designed as a tune-up to prepare him for a Sept. 20 rematch withFloyd Mayweather Jr. -- quite seriously. De La Hoya, the boss of Golden Boy Promotions, did not attend Pacquiao-Marquez II last week. Hemissed one of his company's most important fights because he didn't want to break training camp. Forbes is in deep trouble.

• Take a look at the fight schedule I maintain for ESPN.com and you will notice that on May 17 there are two, count 'em two, Hispanic orientedpay-per-views cards that will emanate from Mexico on the same night. One, promoted by Mexico's Nacho Huizar, is headlined by a veryinteresting junior bantamweight unification match between Cristian Mijares and Alexander Munoz. The other, a Top Rank card,is headlined by popular brawler Jorge Arce against unknown Devid Lookmahanak of Thailand in a match that will produce amandatory challenger for the Mijares-Munoz winner. Why on earth they would go head-to-head is mind boggling. For what it's worth, I'm far moreinterested in Mijares-Munoz than Arce against an irrelevant opponent.

• Super middleweight Allan Green, who bailed at the last moment on an ESPN2 fight against Antwun Echols on Feb. 29 withoutan explanation, was later placed on indefinite suspension by Louisiana boxing officials. Good. Green got what he deserved. I've been a big supporter ofGreen's over the past few years and I like the guy, but what he did was wrong. He showed no class and no character in pulling out of a fight the way he didwithout even bothering to answer phone calls from his own promoter, Tony Holden. Green, for no real reason, put a lot of people in a bad spot,from the promoters of the card to the venue that hosted it to ESPN2. Here's hoping he has a nice, long layoff to think about the error of his ways.

• Maybe the persistent rumors of a third fight between Evander Holyfield and ear-munching Mike Tyson will someday cometrue, but at the moment Tyson sure doesn't look like he's been thinking about training. I saw Iron Mike at ringside at Pacquiao-Marquez II enjoying thefight in the company of an attractive young woman, but Tyson looked at least 50 pounds heavier than his fighting weight of about 230. I sure hopeHolyfield-Tyson doesn't ever happen.
• When Bob Arum isn't ranting and raving against the world, he can be a funny dude sometimes.I attended his press conference at Mandalay Bay on Saturday morning for his announcement of an April 26 pay-per-view card headlined by Julio CesarChavez Jr. , and when it was over, he encouraged the media to head to another press conference that was about to start. This one was hosted by GoldenBoy Promotions, which was officially announcing a May 31 HBO PPV fight between former welterweight champs Sugar Shane Mosley and ZabJudah. Arum was good enough to remind the press of the second news conference but couldn't resist getting in a zinger, calling the fight theMiguel Cotto consolation championship. Beautiful. And true. • At this point, Jose Luis Castillo should be banned from boxing.The guy is a disgrace to the sport, missing weight yet again and forcing the cancellation of a recent junior welterweight title eliminator against TimBradley. It's bad enough that the despicable WBC put him in a position to have a title eliminator, which was utterly undeserved. Then Castillowasn't even close to 140 pounds, weighing 147½ about 15 hours before the official weigh-in and not even bothering to show up to it because he was still atleast four pounds over two hours before it began. And keep in mind that when the fight was called off, Castillo didn't just cost himself a payday, he costBradley, who was in great shape, a $65,000 purse. How many chances should Castillo get? Enough is enough.
• I'm not sure how cruiserweight champion David Haye is going to fare as a heavyweight because he didn't have the best chin in thesmaller division. But one thing is for sure: His entry into the division will give it a bit of a boost, and it can sure use all the help it can get.
• Icongratulate Samuel Peter for his knockout win against Oleg Maskaev and for winning a heavyweight title belt after such along wait for the shot. However, if Peter doesn't refine his boxing skills and get in better shape, I wouldn't give him much of a shot in a rematchagainst Wladimir Klitschko. Frankly, I wouldn't even give him a big chance against a healthy (if that's even possible at this point)Vitali Klitschko, his mandatory challenger.
• I've watched enough crappy John Ruiz fights to last me a lifetime, including his recent win against Jameel McCline.So if I must sit through another, there's only one that really interests me. I'd be interested in a rematch between Ruiz and DavidTua, who knocked him cold in 19 seconds in 1996. I guarantee you that if they ever fight again that Ruiz would last more than 19 seconds. In fact, Ibelieve Ruiz would win.

DVD pick of the week: Pacquiao has been in several classic fights, but people tend to forget his impressive June 23, 2001, Americandebut, which I was at but haven't watched on video in years. He had already been a flyweight world champion by the time arrived in America as a last-minutereplacement to face highly touted junior featherweight titlist Lehlo Ledwaba of South Africa on the undercard of De La Hoya's fight withJavier Castillejo in Las Vegas. Ledwaba was the favorite, a notion that lasted about five seconds into the fight. Pacquiao, with a ragingoffensive style, demolished Ledwaba in shocking fashion en route to a sixth-round TKO. If you've never seen it, go find it and you will know why so manypeople fell in love with Pacquiao.

Whats wrong with Manny fighting David Diaz? He had a little trouble making 130 so its time for him to move up, and diaz should be easy prey and a way to easeinto the lightweight division. Arum wants to build up to a rematch so maybe after a fight for marquez and pacquiao we'll see talks of a rematch.

I'm excited for the Katsidis fight, Im going for Katsidis but Katsidis camp wouldnt want to go against campbell. I hope Katsidis hurts casa badly.

Y'all think Oscar will body Pacman????

At this point, Jose Luis Castillo should be banned from boxing. The guy is a disgrace to the sport, missing weight yet again and forcing the cancellation of a recent junior welterweight title eliminator against Tim Bradley. It's bad enough that the despicable WBC put him in a position to have a title eliminator, which was utterly undeserved. Then Castillo wasn't even close to 140 pounds, weighing 147½ about 15 hours before the official weigh-in and not even bothering to show up to it because he was still at least four pounds over two hours before it began. And keep in mind that when the fight was called off, Castillo didn't just cost himself a payday, he cost Bradley, who was in great shape, a $65,000 purse. How many chances should Castillo get? Enough is enough.
True story...

Y'all think Oscar will murk Pacman????
I think so.

I think mostly any boxer in the welterweight division maybe even 140 division will knockout Pacquiao he is so overrated by the media and fans they think thatbecause he beats Mexican boxers he is the greatest ever.

I still don't like Pacquiao's style he would never get by in the welterweight or 140 division he doesn't have the Mayweather skill level.

Bob Arum is the last one that needs to be trying to shut someone up for *****ing about a loss.

and Oscar would knock Manny out in 3 rounds

Back
Top Bottom