2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

[h1]De La Hoya-Forbes set for May 3 in tune-up for Mayweather rematch[/h1]
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: February 16, 2008, 6:12 AM ET

LAS VEGAS -- Oscar De La Hoya, who announced last month that he was seeking a spring tune-up fight ahead of a planned September rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr., has finalized a deal with his opponent, former junior lightweight titlist Steve Forbes on May 3, multiple sources involved in the deal told ESPN.com on Friday.

box_delahoya_195.jpg

Rob Delorenzo/Golden Boy

Oscar De La Hoya will be seeking more than adulation when he steps in against former junior lightweight titlist Steve Forbes.
Confirming the fight from his Auburn Hills, Mich., home on Friday night, Forbes, who will be a prohibitive underdog said, "There's a deal made. I like Oscar but I'm definitely coming to win. When the bell rings you will see I am not in there just to be in there. This is like another Rocky story -- the biggest name in boxing is giving a guy like me a shot."
De La Hoya and Forbes, who in addition to once holding a 130-pound world title was also the runner-up on the second season of "The Contender" reality series, will fight a 12-rounder at the Home Depot Center's outdoor soccer stadium in Carson, Calif.

The maximum weight for the fight is 150 pounds.

It will be televised live on HBO, De La Hoya's first non-pay-per-view fight since stopping Arturo Gatti in the fifth round on March 24, 2001.

De La Hoya has said he wanted to give back to his fans by doing an HBO fight instead of another pay-per-view. HBO didn't expect that sort of multimillion dollar expense, but agreed to buy the fight and will pay for it with money outside of the network's boxing budget, one of the sources said.

"I've always wanted to be on HBO. This has been a long time coming," Forbes said.

A news conference to formally announce the fight is scheduled for Feb. 26 in Los Angeles with a second news conference scheduled for Feb. 28 in New York.

The Mayweather family feud, already so much of a story line for the proposed Mayweather-
De La Hoya rematch, will also be a part of De La Hoya-Forbes.

De La Hoya is returning to train with Floyd Mayweather Sr., who is going to train De La Hoya to defeat his son, assuming De La Hoya beats Forbes. Mayweather Sr. used to train Forbes.

Forbes' trainer is now Roger Mayweather, the estranged brother of Floyd Sr. and the trainer of Floyd Jr., who is also estranged from his father.

"I guess all that Mayweather stuff will be a bit of entertainment won't it," said Forbes, who will open training camp on March 1.

Forbes said he thinks De La Hoya selected him because "he thinks he can beat me, I'm a smaller guy, I'm not a big puncher and I have trained with the Mayweathers."

dropQuote.gif
[h3]I thought they were joking around and I said, 'This is not funny.'
dropQuoteEnd.gif
[/h3]
-- Steve Forbes, on when
he learned he was going
to get the fight
Forbes estimates that he and Floyd Jr. have sparred "hundreds of rounds together. I know him inside and out. I think Oscar thinks I may give him a little bit of the look of Floyd but that he will run through me and get his rematch with Floyd Jr. My job is to make sure that doesn't happen."
Forbes said he was stunned when he learned that he was going to get the fight.

"I thought they were joking around and I said, 'This is not funny.' But ('Contender' promoter) Jeff Wald said, 'No, this is serious stuff.' I'm really stoked about it. He's the biggest name in boxing. It's unbelievable. I'm happy about the opportunity."

De La Hoya (38-5, 30 KOs), who has won titles in six divisions but lost a split decision to Mayweather last May in the richest fight in boxing history, was ringside for Forbes' last two bouts -- a decision against Francisco Bojado and a decision loss to Demetrius Hopkins that many consider one of the worst decisions of 2007 -- because they were on cards promoted by his company, Golden Boy Promotions.

"Oscar and I have always been cool with each other," Forbes said. "When we see each other, we talk a little. I like Oscar."

Forbes (33-5, 9 KOs), who campaigns at 140 pounds, is much smaller than De La Hoya, although he fought at 150 pounds during his run on The Contender, in which he lost a split decision to Grady Brewer in the 2006 season finale.

"It takes the pressure off me being the underdog," said Forbes, who will be 31 by the time they fight. "I don't feel any pressure. I will just come and perform. I hope people are looking at the Grady Brewer fight and think I can't compete at that weight."

Forbes said that De La Hoya, 35, deserved to be the big favorite.

"I am looking forward to this challenge. I've been an underdog my whole life," said Forbes, referring to the fact that he weighed only two pounds when he was born and survived, hence his nickname "2 Pound."

My gut is telling me Pavlik will win by KO in the middle rounds once again. However, I hope I'm dead wrong because I'd really like to see Taylor win. To think, Taylor is now an underdog when if he had just landed one more big shot in the previous fight most people would be talking about how Pavlik wasexposed and a rematch would just be unnecessary. I think both guys are great fighters, I'd just hate to see Taylor's career in shambles if he losesonce again.

String, Uve had a change of heart?

I been thinkin JT wins this fight, but when I found out he doesnt really love boxing and just boxes cuz he can, I m not sure what to think. those types arethe type to get down and not have the heart to fight back.
Im worried.

I def think JT can knock Kelly out tho but I dont see JT any other way

I been thinkin JT wins this fight, but when I found out he doesnt really love boxing and just boxes cuz he can, I m not sure what to think. those types are the type to get down and not have the heart to fight back.
Im worried.
Yeah, this is a cause for concern

I'm also worried about that left hand Jermaine likes to keep low and the fact he has TKO'd anyone since 2005

I know this should only be taken with a grain of salt, but I'll throw it out there anyway. From one of JT's sparring partners:
Hi guys as you all may know I am a pro boxer. In this past year I have desperately been trying to get some sparring done with a top rank fighter not just for the money but for the experience so I was very happy when I got a call from Ozell Nelson asking me to come spar with Taylor 3 weeks ago. I must tell you that my body is still hurting today all over and I stopped sparring with him about 4 days ago, I've never seen such intensity in a fighter. He is in excellent condition which you will see today in the weigh-in (don't know when it is) and his power is tremendous at this weight.

I will not tell you the tactics he practised but I will say I am betting $1,000 on him, that's how confident I am of him winning. I know Kelly is no stiff though so I think you boxing fans have an amazing card on tomorrow and I recommend no one misses it.

Pavlik FTW. Taylor is a beast. I just want a good fight and I bet it is going to be just that.

So many good fights this year! IT'S GANNA BE NUTS! Can't wait for Cotto to knock the +%@* out of Gomez. That's ganna be fun. Cintron/Margarito?!List goes on and on.

2008 The Year Of Boxing.

I hope it's a good fight I have Pavlik by TKO but I wouldn't be surprised if the fight ended early.
Tito was 10 pounds above his best weight though. I'm not saying Tito would have much a chance, but i'd give him better odds than duddy who is simply a bum. If you're gonna fight a not so great fighter, i'd rather it be a guy with a name and rep who may be able to turn back the hands of time once more, instead of a bum who will always be a bum and no one knows.

I don't know about that everyone thought he would turn back the hands of time a few years ago against Winky even against RJJ. I don't think he has itin him anymore and he has been struggling to make 160 anyways hasn't he?

Whats the under-card for this? I'm still deciding if I should hit up the Gentlemens club and watch it there.

pimp.gif
shorty coordination is nice but his POP is Iller. GOT DAYUM he throwin with some snap!

Im interested in seein the Maywether kids. I think it was roger's shortie had some Hands Early.

You sure that's a little kid and not a ******???

Cause.....

DAMN!!!!!

Lil man gon be knocking n's out in 2nd grade.... Dude got the speed, power, head movement.....the combo's....

Wow, that was VERY impressive....

I couldn't do none of that $**$ when I was that little....

Lil n' would be taking my lunch money EARLY...and my butter crunch
laugh.gif

[h1]Chat with Bert Sugar[/h1]
[table][tr][td]
w_sugar_65.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]Welcome to The Show! On Friday, Boxing Hall of Fame writer and historian Bert Sugar will join us to talk about boxing.
Sugar has written over 80 books and from 1979-83 he served as editor-in-chief of The Ring. Sugar also, according to his bio on HBO.com, founded Fight Game magazine in 1998.

Sugar has also appeared in a few movies, including recently in "Rocky Balboa," the final chapter of Sylvester Stallone's Rocky boxing movies.

Send in your questions for Bert right now. Then, check back on Friday at 4 p.m. ET to see his answers.

sn2.gif
Buzzmaster: We're getting Bert right now!

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: I'm in Las Vegas, preparing for the Kelly Pavlik-Jermain Taylor fight tomorrow night. It's going to be one helluva fight. All of Youngstown is here, which leaves no one there. It really is exciting. We're looking for the fight of the year. That's what it was last time, why should this time be any different?

Joe (Miami, FL): Do you still get excited for the big fights like you used to?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Oh, I don't think you ever lose that excitement. To me the fight and the countdown is only second to the first Saturday in May in Louisville. You never get tired of either.

Doug (NJ): Bert did you watch paul williams last week? The guy is a freak with that reach he needs to contact manny steward and tommy hearns to learn how to use it

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: I watch Paul Williams walk through a fight that he not only confounded me but Harold Lederman. I saw nothing there when he beat Margarito. He said he had an off night, but it might have been an off career night. He didn't do anything I expected him to do and less in defense. If he was a lawyer, he could have said the defense rests. Did I block any punch? I didn't see him.

Benvenuto (Miami, FL): Outside of Sugar Ray Robinson, who in history would you just love to sit ringside and watch fight is you could?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: You always had to love watching the greats, whether their names were Johnson, Lewis, Dempsey or some modern day fighters like Duran and others. These were all great fighters. Any time you can watch them fight, it's a magic moment. P.S. Robinson would have been my favorite, but I have so many others - dare I say one of those others would have been Ali.

Frank (Miami, FL): Assuming Vasquez/Marquez III is another great fight, who would you rank that trilogy?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: It would be hard to rank any trilogy before the third part. Who would have thought the Ali-Frasier would be as good coming off that second fight? I think it would be in contention of great trilogies if it matched the ferocity of the first two. But for the moment I uphold my vote until the upstate votes come in.

blake. ark.: bert, please tell me that your going with my man taylor by KO???

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: I can't tell you that I think Taylor WILL win by KO. I can tell you he CAN win by KO. This fight has a lot of questions to be answered, mostly by Taylor. He is the far more gifted athlete and skillful fighter of the two, including hand and foot speed. But he has a lot of flaws, like going to the ropes, holding his left hand too low, and looping his punches.

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Can he cure these? Pavlik is there to be hit, which Taylor did in the first fight. Jermain has to show more stamina (maybe the 166 pounds will help him). But he's got to show some better defense and turn Pavlik rather than meeting him head on. Although Pavlik looks like Olive Oyl, he hits like Popeye.

Greg (PA): Who do you like tomorrow night?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Right now the odds are 2-1, Pavlik. I think they should be more even, probably 7-5 Pavlik. While their first fight was the fight of the year last year and their second fight might be the fight of the year this year, both of these fighters have excellent punches, so anything can happen. To me, the biggest telling point will be a psychological one. If the first time Pavlik hits Taylor, will Taylor go ''uh-oh'' with memories of the first fight or will he go ''now it's my turn''?

Joe (Miami, FL): Do you worry about Taylor's chin after being brutally knocked out? I'm afraid Taylor may be get blown out early.

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: I think his chin is substantial, I just question his mindset. He was hit throughout the fight. That's not the question. It wasn't the right that everyone was worried about, it was the left. No matter how many times he gets hit, the mental part could hurt him. It's the mind, not the chin, that will tell this fight.

Benvenuto (Miami, FL): Quote of the day: "Although Pavlik looks like Olive Oyl, he hits like Popeye". Gotta love Bert Sugar....

Jaime, CT: Why do you think people are counting out Jermain's ability to KO Pavlik. It's like everyone forgets Pavlik ws in trouble in the first fight. Your thoughts?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Oh, I don't know anybody is counting out Jermain's ability. He has 17 KOs, he can knock people out. But what's fresh in their minds, his last KO was the telling one - the TKO in the seventh. If Pavlik has one major flaw, it's in his confidence (no his overconfidence) in his chin whiskers, his ability to take a punch. If he leaves it out there long enough, Jermain may have an answer for him.

Stringer: How would Pretty Boy Floyd have favored in the days of Duran, Hearns and Sugar Ray Leonard?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: As much as I like Floyd, next question please. I have too much of a memory of how good those fighters were to even bother answering this question.

Frank (Miami, FL): Pound 4 Pound, prime Roy Jones vs. Floyd Mayweather, who wins?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: There's a possibility that no one lands one punch. It's tough to say because in their primes and I'm not sure where Floyd's is yet, but in their primes, they each fought very good fighters. But I do think Roy dominated his opponents more than Floyd did his (Hopkins, Toney, etc.). Still, it would have made an interesting, though not exciting fight.

blake. ark: do you really expect this to be the fight of the year? have you talked to jermain, how does he seem?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: I love the wam-bam-thank-you-ma'am of the first fight. I think excitement is what these two fighters bring against each other. It depends if you want to watch a trainwreck or tap dance. I prefer train wrecks for excitement.

Nate (Palmerton, PA): Bert, Where do you put Kelly Pavlik in pound-for-pound rankings if he KO's Jermaine in convincing fashion again tomorrow night?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Depending on Pacquiao's fight coming up, it would definitely put him in the top 5 in boxing. But it would not displace Mayweather, Calzaghe or for the moment Pacquiao.

nathan barnhart st.louis ,mo: Bert, thanks for the cigar you sent me in the mail, Do you think boxing needs a dominant american heavyweight to get the casual fan back into boxing, thanks love the book with angelo and yourself. pavlik in 10

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Americans always are for other Americans as witnessed by constant cheers for ''U, S, A.'' I think it would focus more Americans attention on the sport of boxing. But you must remember that we have a lot of sports on our plate, as opposed to other countries that only have one or two (I didn't even know Texas Hold 'Em was a sport until I saw it all over the place).

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Thank you for the compliment on my book with Angelo Dundee, ''My View from the Corner,'' which is not only getting rave reviews, but it's on its third printing in fourth months (but of course, the foreword by Ali helps).

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: As for the cigar I sent, it was probably out of my Lawrence Welks collection, which is a bag of crud with a wrapper around it.

Stringer: Does Arturo Gatti belong in the Hall of Fame?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: If I'm in the Hall of Fame, anyone should be. But seriously, Arturo was a very pleasing fighter, but he was a club fighter who gave us exciting fights. I would vote for him to be in the Boxing HOF and in the HOF for Bleeders, always bleeding inbetween ''Oh say'' and ''can you see.'' I like him, but I don't know if he belongs in the HOF.

James (Philadelphia, PA): Money Mayweather vs. Cotto. Ever happen?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: It is a fight that every fight fan wants, but I don't think Floyd wants it. It's not so much that he doesn't think he can beat him, but he doesn't think he can get the money to fight him. That seems to be his major motivation.

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: While Cotto has a tremendous fan base in the Puerto Rican market, there's a question in how he translates that.

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: You know PPV goes where the money goes.

Kory (Missouri): Do you think DLH-Mayweather 2 will be any different than 1?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Excellent question. The obvious answer is no, period. But De La Hoya may have learned more than Mayweather in that fight and promises changes. One is to use the jab he used effectively in the first few rounds and then abandoned. If he uses that jab, he might have a good chance to change that result. Remember, he didn't use the jab for 7 rounds and still only lost a split decision. So it could, it could, be a different result.

Benvenuto (Miami, FL): Better day.......Kentucky Derby or a championship fight?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: It depends, not just on the result of the event, but the fact that I can bet on the derby, but I don't bet on boxing, because no one wants to read about my money. If I win at the Derby, it's a helluva day! Forget the horse, it's MY money.

Bryon (KC, MO): How much fun did you have working with Angelo Dundee on his recent book. What are your 2 or 3 more favorite boxing bios/memoirs?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Angelo Dundee was a ball. I havent had so much fun in years, just listening to his stories. Here is a man who has been in boxing for 60 years and has stories on everything. The book is Angie's stories on Ali and Deer Lake, how he helped with the lining of Ali's boats; how Duran never said ''no mas''; and thousands of others. I was fortunate to just be Dundee's Boswell and they're all recorded in the book.

Darian (Phoenix): Bert, you are one of the sports best storytellers. Who is someone you have enjoyed hearing stories of prizefights from over the years?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: I've been fortunate to sit near some of the best story tellers of all time and some of them have been fighters. Ali or even Jack Dempsey, but a lot of them had come from the writers themselves like Red Smith, Schuylar and so many others. I've been blessed to hear them and tell them. And lest I forget, Angelo Dundee.

Ronnie Baltimore MD: I like Taylor, but Kelly hits hard and he can take a punch once he gets pass taylor theres no one that can stop him you agree?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: I'm not sure I agree. We've got a fluid division of people who can come up or down. Suppose for instance, Calzaghe wants to come down. Suppose, for example, Cotto wants to come up to fight Pavlik. This is a good time for this weight area and with the heavyweight division on the cusp of being called off for lack of interest, we can focus on the more interesting division it's the middleweights.

Brian (Brooklyn): What did you think of Howard Cossell, and is Lampley better?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Howard Cossell said more about less things that he knew about than any other announcer. And yet he was a fertilizer to early TV. Lampley is a different type of announcer and great in his own right. But as Dundee said in the book, Cossell thought he always made Ali. Think about that.

James (Philadelphia, PA): Could Kelly actually become, as speculated by Bob Arum, one of the best 160 pounders in the history of boxing?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: The sound you just heard was Ray Robinson, Hagler, Walker, Greb, Hopkins, Ketchel and at least 50 other greats, moaning, groaning and rolling over in their graves. The answer is ask me again in five years and after some more fights. All he can do now is fight and take a place in line.

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Thank everyone for putting up with me. Let's do it again. I hope you watch what I consider to be one heckuva fight tomorrow. Also, you wouldn't upset me if you were to buy the book ''My View From the Corner'' and see why I'm so excited about it. But in the mean time, haven't we had fun?
He basically reassured my assumption

Stringer: How would Pretty Boy Floyd have favored in the days of Duran, Hearns and Sugar Ray Leonard?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: As much as I like Floyd, next question please. I have too much of a memory of how good those fighters were to even bother answering this question.

pimp.gif

Damn string, you gettin into these espn chats all the time now.

My official prediction, is Pavlik KO 9. I think Jermain fights well and gets the fight a bit deeper, but Pavlik is gonna catch him eventually and it will begood night.

Back
Top Bottom