'09 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFF-SEASON THREAD-recruiting/Coaching Changes/Transfers

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by TheTim11

no respect for Utah i see
Utah lost a lot, no?
laugh.gif

Yeah I meant day before.

Ran into FSU DT Everette Dawkins at walmart last night. Noles ain't have practice this morn? Swore i saw a couple of them at the Que house last night.
laugh.gif

I am so ready for practices to start. I just want to hear what this team looks like because we have heard that this might be the most in shape team Mike Barwishas ever coached. The lineman look to have gained a ton of strength and are blowing away weight room records. BGraham also looks to be right around 270lbswhich is perfect for him. I think there is only one OL over 300lbs that will see any significant time. Don't know how to take that. But I guess if they arestronger than they have ever been, thats fine by me.

I think the kid that might blow up real soon for Michigan is JeRon Stokes. Hearing that he wants burn right away and is looking the part.

Graham has to have an absolute monster year for us. Bunch of guys I'm excited to hear about: Stokes, Turner, Gallon, Vlad, Denard. Excited to see how ourTE's are gonna be used, Webb and Koger should be terrors out there. I think Minor and/or Brown could have a Chris Perry breakout type season this year. OLwill be much more experience and theres a lot of competition there which is very good.

^ Not fair to have a guy that big and that athletic. RayRay looks the part. Is he expected to have a Spence like start?

Yeah Turner needs to get qualified hopefully by tomorrow. Vlad is going to be a fun one to watch. I hope he can become a Major Wright type beast back there.

Also heard a story that the Michigan coaches wanted the fastest players up to the line for a race, Denard stayed back. Asked why he wasn't up to the lineand he replied "There isn't any competition". Got called out by the teammates, Then he walked up to the line and smoked everybody. Effortless forhim to turn it up and get to top speed. Hopefully he has an arm on him because I want to see him take snaps.

Originally Posted by Newbs24

Is 'Maque gunna start at one of the S spots? Wanted that kid to be a Wolverine BAAAAD.

I could be wrong, but I think he's starting along side Phillips.

On a recruiting note 4* CB back Dior Mathis is Eugene this weekend with his Dad and Mom and our insiders are hearing very good things about him

[h1]Kiffin talks "Fab Four'' Freshmen[/h1]
Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin isn't afraid of a little hype, that's for sure.

Asked about the progress of freshman receivers Nu"Keese Richardson and Marsalis Teague, Kiffin came up with a nickname for his the offensive freshmen.

"They've kinda been the Fab Four, those two tailbacks (Bryce Brown and David Oku), and two receivers,'' he said following Friday'spractice.

That said, Kiffin concedes they all have work to do, and the first few days in pads will be critical.

"It's going to be one of two ways,'' he said. "It's either gonna be complete overload (on the players) or it will be they feelmore comfortable playing their position.''

The Vols first fall scrimmage could be telling.

Kiffin said the diminutive Richardson - he's listed at 5-foot-10, but appears shorter - plays bigger than his frame.

"The catching range isn't there until he makes the acrobatic plays,'' he said.

Kiffin said Richardson ranks among the smallest receivers he has coached.

Brown, meanwhile, has the look of an every-down back.

A possible telltale sign that UT has big visions for Brown this season is his absence on the kickoff return and punt return units.

Gerald Jones, Dennis Rogan, Oku and Richardson are working on punt return. The same four are getting a look at kick return duties along with Teague andNyshier Oliver.

Kiffin has simplified the offense and the receiver position from where it has been.

Rather than ask the incoming receivers to learn all three receiver positions, Kiffin allows them to focus in on just one.

As for Brown, picking up protection schemes will be big. Already, he has shown a versatile running style that vision and explosive acceleration.

Incumbent Montario Hardesty has an edge at the position, largely because of his strength, experience and leadership abilities.

Hardesty, however, isn't a great receiver out of the backfield and doesn't possess the lateral running skills and vision of a top-flight back.

Running North and South, it's a different matter, as few hit holes with as much authority as Hardesty.
The guess here is Vols' fans will seerunning back and receiver by committee early in the season.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Asked about the progress of freshman receivers Nu"Keese Richardson and Marsalis Teague, Kiffin came up with a nickname for his the offensive freshmen.

"They've kinda been the Fab Four, those two tailbacks (Bryce Brown and David Oku), and two receivers,'' he said following Friday's practice.

That said, Kiffin concedes they all have work to do, and the first few days in pads will be critical.

"It's going to be one of two ways,'' he said. "It's either gonna be complete overload (on the players) or it will be they feel more comfortable playing their position.''

Kiffin said the diminutive Richardson - he's listed at 5-foot-10, but appears shorter - plays bigger than his frame.

A possible telltale sign that UT has big visions for Brown this season is his absence on the kickoff return and punt return units.

Gerald Jones, Dennis Rogan, Oku and Richardson are working on punt return. The same four are getting a look at kick return duties along with Teague and Nyshier Oliver.

Kiffin has simplified the offense and the receiver position from where it has been.

Rather than ask the incoming receivers to learn all three receiver positions, Kiffin allows them to focus in on just one.

As for Brown, picking up protection schemes will be big. Already, he has shown a versatile running style that vision and explosive acceleration.

Incumbent Montario Hardesty has an edge at the position, largely because of his strength, experience and leadership abilities.

Hardesty, however, isn't a great receiver out of the backfield and doesn't possess the lateral running skills and vision of a top-flight back.

Running North and South, it's a different matter, as few hit holes with as much authority as Hardesty.
The guess here is Vols' fans will see running back and receiver by committee early in the season.
UT: Get a QB!!!! I see UT gettin back in it soon.
devil.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

"They've kinda been the Fab Four, those two tailbacks (Bryce Brown and David Oku), and two receivers,'' he said following Friday's practice.

"It's going to be one of two ways,'' he said. "It's either gonna be complete overload (on the players) or it will be they feel more comfortable playing their position.''

Gerald Jones, Dennis Rogan, Oku and Richardson are working on punt return. The same four are getting a look at kick return duties along with Teague and Nyshier Oliver.

The guess here is Vols' fans will see running back and receiver by committee early in the season.

Gunna, you think any of those 4 are going to get major minutes starting opening day?

Originally Posted by Fecta23

On a recruiting note 4* CB back Dior Mathis is Eugene this weekend with his Dad and Mom and our insiders are hearing very good things about him

It's down to us (MSU) and your Ducks for Mathis... don't think he follows the Cass Tech bus to Ann Arbor. I'm guessing he goes out west to Nike Ubut I'm hoping he becomes Green.

AH,
All of them are gonna play ALOT from the jump. they are being thrown into the fire with gasoline draws on

Cobbs , cancelled his flight outta redknexville ... Verbal commit coming soon
pimp.gif

This guy . . .
tired.gif

[h2]Blount's recipe for success needs a dash of action[/h2]
By WriterName

The Register-Guard

Appeared in print: Saturday, Aug 8, 2009

[h6]Sports: Home: Story[/h6]
The plate of Hawaiian chicken sat, half-eaten and growing cold. It wasn't that LeGarrette Blount didn't like it - "a treat," he called the dish, and a nice departure from his diet. He just didn't have much time to eat.

This was lunchtime Friday, a couple of hours before Oregon's first football practice. Blount sat at the table, and occasionally picked at the chicken and rice, and mostly talked of big goals. For the team, a national title. For himself, a 2,000-yard season.

It sounded good, like so much of what we hear from football players in August, when they can taste the success in their futures.

Looked good, too. During his short time on campus, the big guy has shown a tendency to get too big. But Blount weighed in Friday at 243, down a dozen pounds from his offseason, uh, peak.

He wants to shed a few more pounds, but he looked slim and fit, ready to go. Sounded ready, too.

"I'm amped up to be the main guy," Blount said. "I'm gonna work hard to maintain that role. I'm gonna work hard to live up to the expectations. I'm gonna work hard to get this team to where we need to be."

No hyperbole intended, he insisted. Just execution. Go ahead and cue the fight song, because Blount piled up 1,000 yards and a school-record 17 touchdowns in 2008. He's fired up about 2009; shouldn't you be?

But then you recall Blount's recent past. A year ago, fresh out of junior college, he shared time in the backfield with Jeremiah Johnson. Friday he said that was fine, because Johnson was "an amazing running back."

"It wasn't hard to be JJ's backup," Blount said.

But let's be honest, there's some revisionist history being written. At times last season Blount's body language sent a different message, and he didn't always seem to be moving in the same direction as his teammates.

Also, when Blount talks of focus and dedication, it calls to mind last winter, when he declined to attend early-morning conditioning workouts and was suspended from the team. Academics had something to do with it, too, even though Blount insists it wasn't about school.

"It was more of my stubbornness to not go work out," he said. "I was just feeling like, 'This is too early to get up and go run, so why do it?'"

Blount said he caught heck from teammates, who asked: "What's your problem? What the hell are you doing?"

Or not doing, in this case. In any case: "They did not approve," Blount said.

In odd, surely coincidental timing, Blount's suspension ended just in time for spring practice.

"He attended to all of his obligations," Chip Kelly said, "whether it be a tutor session or a workout or a class. He went to all of those things."

And although Blount remains indifferent to offseason conditioning - his attendance at voluntary summer workouts was sporadic - insiders say his attitude has been much better.

Which is pretty important, because Oregon opened preseason practice with questions to answer and holes to fill. Offensive line. Defensive line. Secondary. Receiver.

One position that looks like a strength is running back. LaMichael James' talent is tantalizing. Andre Crenshaw and Remene Alston seem like decent options.

But Blount is big and strong, deceptively fast and agile, a fascinating package for Kelly to unwrap. You can't help but wonder how the offense might morph to fit his unique abilities.

Academically, Blount is on track. Physically, he's in shape, though still slimming down (he'd like to play at around 230 pounds). Mentally, he's setting goals that sound unlikely, maybe, but not unreachable.

You want to believe Blount has matured, to write off last year as transition, a kid who got his first taste of big-time football after transferring from a Mississippi junior college.

We saw serious talent, but also troubling flashes of temperament. And then came the offseason.

"Sometimes kids get distracted and they kind of … stray away from the flock a little bit," Kelly said, "and they need to come back."

Kelly believes Blount has returned to the fold. Everything looks and sounds good.

But all we know for sure is that Friday, Blount revealed an appetite for big things. And left behind a plate of half-eaten chicken.

I don't know what's going through this guy'shead. The decisions he's been making these previous months and the mindset that he has during camp and into the season are gonna have serious implications,as in millions and millions of dollars. If he puts it all together and acts like a grown man starting today and carries that all through the season he has thepotential to become a top 20 pick, because he can run for 1600 yards in this offense and he will get measured in at 6'2" 235 and run a legit 4.5.It's all being handed to him on a silver platter . .

sick.gif

Originally Posted by 541 Exile 562

This guy . . .
tired.gif

[h2]Blount's recipe for success needs a dash of action[/h2]
By WriterName

The Register-Guard

I don't know what's going through this guy's head. The decisions he's been making these previous months and the mindset that he has during camp and into the season are gonna have serious implications, as in millions and millions of dollars. If he puts it all together and acts like a grown man starting today and carries that all through the season he has the potential to become a top 20 pick, because he can run for 1600 yards in this offense and he will get measured in at 6'2" 235 and run a legit 4.5. It's all being handed to him on a silver platter . .

http://www.youtube.com/v/pRd3jboBC68&rel=1http://www.youtube.com/v/pRd3jboBC68&rel=1

sick.gif

Sounds like someone needs to learn from the Best RB in the nation
ncf_g_best_400.jpg

who just happens to be at the best institution in the world for athletics/academics & character building.
UC berkeley.
pimp.gif

j/p
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by gatorb807

Hopefully Debose is the first frosh to get his stripe removed.

Andre Ware been getting silly with his predictions.......said UF would win the championship with Brantley starting.....I like Ware's confidence
laugh.gif

Tremendous amount of pressure on Debose this year. Would go as far as to say his importance may be > than Tebows, given our inexperience at WR, andhis ability, and ... John Brantley
pimp.gif
. There will be very little dropoff,if any, in 2010.

James Wilder was at the first 6am practice Thursday. Probably the #1 LB in the 2011 class.
pimp.gif

^Heard that as well. congrats to ut on Cobbs.

Originally Posted by 92

Is andre debose the second coming of percy harvin?

laugh.gif
Debose hates when people compare him to Percy. He tried to run off thefield after his first practice Friday, then all the reporters ran over and swarmed him, he was like "I guess I expected this."
laugh.gif

He'll probably be pretty good but imo nobody will ever be as good as Percy. Can't think of another non qb offensive player i've seen better thanhim in the sec.
grin.gif

[h1]Debose not a fan of Harvin comparisons[/h1]Doug Finger/Staff Photographer
Freshman wide receiver Andre Debose practices on Thursday.

By Robbie Andreu
Staff writer

Published: Thursday, August 6, 2009 at 11:34 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, August 6, 2009 at 11:34 p.m.

As the elusive freshman wide receiver attempted to run off the practice field Thursday, he was quickly hemmed in by about a dozen members of the media. There was nowhere to go, so Andre Debose stopped, and then smiled.

Related Links:
  • Florida is coaches' poll No. 1
  • Notebook: Haden to play some Wildcat QB?
  • Q&A with Dee Finley
  • Quest for perfection begins
  • Notebook: Cooper rusty; Jenkins contrite
  • Q&A with David Nelson
  • Q&A with the Pouncey twins
  • Gator fall practice primer
  • What to watch for in fall practice
  • Freshmen of influence
  • Key battles in fall practice
  • Fall practice roster

"I was expecting this," he said. "I was kind of looking forward to it."

This is the way it's been for the high school All-American since he signed with Florida in February, and UF coach Urban Meyer on signing day promptly compared him to Percy Harvin.

Debose has said he doesn't really want to be compared to Harvin, but, well, too late. It's already out there, and the expectations (and now the media) have him surrounded.

He was the most requested player after UF's first mostly freshmen practice of the preseason. This is just the start. He'll be attracting lots of attention in the next few weeks as the Gators search for a player to fill the Harvin role.

"I'm not worried (about the expectations). Not really," he said. "I don't really pay attention to what people are expecting. I know what I can do and I know what I'm going to do. It doesn't really bother me. Either way, I can't get away from it.

"It's just (about) making plays. I'm looking forward to getting on the field first."

Debose only fueled the expectations further Thursday when he said he feels he'll be ready to contribute this season.

"I feel I can contribute to the offense a little bit," he said. "I feel more comfortable running the ball, but I play wide receiver, too."

Just like Percy Harvin.

Even Debose admits he sees some similarities between his game and Harvin's. But he still doesn't want to be called the next Percy Harvin.

"My dad always told me to be my own man," he said. "I don't like to too much be compared to another dude. I know he was a great player, but I want to kind of build my own way in Gainesville.

"When you look at playing styles, I can see myself in him a little bit. I can't blame you guys at all (for the comparisons)."

While the media and UF fans likely will continue making the comparison, Debose said he hasn't heard any of that stuff from the UF coaches since he's been here. Meyer admitted after making his signing day comment about Debose that he was probably putting too much pressure on him.

"They (the UF coaches) kind of stay away from it ever since I told them I didn't want to be compared to him," he said. "I don't want to be the next Percy. I don't like to hear that."

Debose said he hasn't said anything to Meyer. "No, I didn't tell him. Coach Meyer can say what he wants," he said.

Debose said Meyer has talked to him about dealing with the expectations and hype that followed him to UF.

"He said I can't let it get to my head," he said. "I don't want to let too many people down. Urban said, 'Remember you're a freshman.' He just kind of lets me know not to let the hype get to me."

Debose is still learning the offense and learning his way around campus. He said he studied the offense every day this summer to prepare, and feels pretty comfortable in it.

He was slowed by a hamstring injury early in the summer, but said he's fine now.

So Debose is now off and running, trying to find his niche in the offense while trying to keep the expectations and comparisons at bay.

When Meyer was told that Debose asked the UF coaches not to compare him to Harvin, Meyer said, "That's good. He's got a lot of talent. I hope it turns out to be close to that."

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/...?Title=Debose-not-a-fan-of-Harvin-comparisons

tired.gif
frown.gif
at CI tearing his ACL again. Nicest guy you will ever meet. Will he ever get a break? Not sure how much $ he is guaranteed or if he signed yet.
[h1] [/h1]

Originally Posted by GTownBaller23

Originally Posted by 92

Is andre debose the second coming of percy harvin?

laugh.gif
Debose hates when people compare him to Percy. He tried to run off the field after his first practice Friday, then all the reporters ran over and swarmed him, he was like "I guess I expected this."
laugh.gif

He'll probably be pretty good but imo nobody will ever be as good as Percy. Can't think of another non qb offensive player i've seen better than him in the sec.
grin.gif

[h1]Debose not a fan of Harvin comparison[/h1]
Damn, didn't realize it was that serious.
laugh.gif

Man, I looked up some Legarrette Blount highlights today, and what I came away with more than anything was how easy Oregon's schedule was last year
laugh.gif
Blount is the goods though.

I'm hearing that David Wilson (true freshman RB) is probably going to play this year, either in the kick return game or some snaps at RB. Apparently he isjust too good to keep off the field. He's drawing comparisons to Percy Harvin on the field, and Tebow off the field
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR BRYAN STINESPRING, On RB David Wilson:

"Talent, we all understand. What I'd like you to know about David Wilson is ... he was a role model (in high school). He wore a shirt and tie to school every day. When other kids went on spring break, he went on mission trips. He is a special young man."

Also on a side note, 6'3, 287 lb TE Greg Boone can do a standing backflip
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom