09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by BCF06

Does anybody know what time Chavez Jr. fights today.

I was wondering the same. The 1st fight (I think) is about to end right now. So I'm thinking maybe he'll fight around 8 pm pacific

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by BCF06

Does anybody know what time care Chavez Jr. fights today.
fix
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

BCF, do u follow mostly mexican fighters? I remember u commenting on JCC before
Yeah I do. I of course watch the big fights of course like everyone else but when it comes to the Mexican fighters I try to see who is next andcoming. I like our Mexican fighters but I'm waiting to see which Mexican fighter actually steps up and makes a big impact. I don't think it will beJCC jr but he still young and starting and it will be pretty interesting to see where he goes from today.

yea thanks Mike. I'm at home wit moms now. She took it better than me and she's good. Prolly cus she saw him sufferin up close the last few months.

I cried so much man. its gettin easier but !++* still hurts
I gotta move forward. That's what he would tell me to do

BCF, who u like rite now?

I was wondering the same thing about jcc jr. I saw him a couple years ago and thought he wasn't too good. But they just said he's only 23 and I
eek.gif
.I thought he was older. But...we'll see how he pans out.

anyway, i don't care too much for JCC Jr. They are showing his fight here live in Cebu though. I am more interested to watch Fernando Montiel andHumberto Soto. Montiel is one of the most underrated flyweights/bantamweights around.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

yea thanks Mike. I'm at home wit moms now. She took it better than me and she's good. Prolly cus she saw him sufferin up close the last few months.

I cried so much man. its gettin easier but !++* still hurts
I gotta move forward. That's what he would tell me to do

BCF, who u like rite now?
Hey firstly it seems like you had a lost hold your head and I hope all goes well with you and your mom. Anyway as for your question. There is somany others but this just comes from the top of my head.

JMM, Eric Morales, Antonio Margarito (I used to like him but we'll see if he redeems himself in the future), Alejandro "la cobrita"Gonzalez, Manuel "manteqia" Medina, Juan and Rafael Marquez, Jose Luis Castillo, Jorge Arce, Martin Castillo, Juan Diaz, Antonio Diaz, Julio Diaz,Francisco "panchito" Bojado

Bob Arum is on crack. Manny would destroy Jr. You don't go from fighting this Luciano guy to the best in the world.

Originally Posted by arstyle27

Bob Arum is on crack. Manny would destroy Jr. You don't go from fighting this Luciano guy to the best in the world.
I totally agree. I like JCC jr but this fight proved that he is not ready. The fight was scored horribly by two of the judges but John Duddydoes sound like a good fight for him. I think he needs at least 2 or 3 fights and dominate in them to be able to call out big time fighters. He didn'tdominate in this fight. Don't get me wrong he won but it was super close.

I don't know.

Maybe I'm alone on this...maybe I'm not, but based on a few comments in here, I am hoping I have a few people who are with me.

I am definitely not sold on Chavez Jr. I see nothing there. Dude has fought absolutely NO BODY. Vanda got robbed in my book.

This kid is talking about retiring and calling out Oscar and stuff? I mean 1. He hasn't proven anything. Why would he retire. 2. I can care less for Oscar,but Oscar would beat his @!!. Period.

Like I said, I don't know how any of you feel but I think Chavez Jr. is trash and is only getting by based on his father and his name. Dude needs to provehimself and I hope others can see that as well.

Originally Posted by arstyle27

roll.gif
that's the same thing I said. Even de la hoya would whoop on jcc, regardless that he's done. Bob arum is on crack. Its just a matter of timebefore jcc signs with golden boy

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

SMH @ JCC Jr. Son sucks. What do you guys think of a possible Darchinyan/Montiel match?
Montiel wins by KO in 6 rounds.. I've seen both guys fight live very up close. Montiel's technique is on point and has a good chin.

^ I heard he was taking a break after he lost his last fight but he might be getting ready to come back. As much as I want to pull for JCC jr. He justdoesn't have it. After what I saw last night. He barely won; if he was that good he shouldn't have had to much probelms with him and he struggledwith him a bit. He is just not ready for a big name fighter and if he was I don't think he would do to well against one.

i have no respect for aurm or JCC JR after reading this

Junior middleweight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is undefeated in 39 fights and has a loyal fan base in Mexico and a passionate following among Mexican-Americans, which is the reason he's headlined several pay-per-view cards despite facing, to be nice, soft opposition.

Yet even with so many fights, Top Rank's Bob Arum and Zanfer's Fernando Beltran, Chavez's co-promoters, are in no particular hurry to move the son of Mexico's greatest boxing icon, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., into a fight with a top contender.

They don't yet see a reason.

"As long as he's entertaining and in competitive fights, there is no hurry," Arum said. "When he ceases to be entertaining and the fights become one-way blowouts or the fans stop supporting him, then we have to move him up. We'll move him up in the later part of the year, but right now we are content to do things the way we've been doing them."

The way they've been doing things is for Chavez (38-0-1, 29 KOs) to fight once per quarter headlining pay-per-views from different places in Mexico.

Although Chavez's opponents are not well known -- Matt Vanda, Giuseppe Loriga, Jose Celaya and Ray Sanchez are not exactly murderers' row -- Arum says he has requests from more cities in Mexico wanting to host a Chavez fight than he can accommodate. That gives Arum and Beltran license to match Chavez with not-so-threatening opponents.

box_e_jcjr1_300.jpg

Chris Farina/Top Rank

Like father, like son: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is widely popular in Mexico.

"These are hugely successful shows. They have huge support in Mexico," Arum said. "That means that people want to watch them. We sell out buildings all over Mexico and do really nice numbers on pay-per-view [in the United States]. It's the public that's buying these shows and we'll keep doing them as long as they stay interested in them."

The latest stop on the Chavez gravy train comes Saturday night (Top Rank PPV, 9 ET), when he faces obscure Luciano Cuello (23-0, 9 KOs) in the headline fight of a four-bout telecast at the 22,000-seat Plaza de Toros Monumental bullring in Tijuana, where the government is involved in the fight and fans will be admitted free.

Although there are world title bouts on the card featuring junior lightweight Humberto Soto and bantamweight Fernando Montiel, two of Mexico's finest active boxers, Chavez generates the buzz.

Chavez, though, is getting a little itchy to step up his level of competition.

"I feel that [my career] has gone very well," Chavez said. "I had time to learn and to make myself a better fighter. But like everyone else, I want to see myself against tougher opposition and see what I can do. Like every fighter, I want to be a world champion and I truly feel that I'm ready to face a higher level of opponent. I'd like to fight for a world championship this year."

Arum said although he believes Chavez may eventually develop into a world-class fighter, he won't be pushed to put him in a fight he can't handle.

"His two fights with Vanda [in '08] were both really good, entertaining fights," Arum said of Chavez's decision wins. "If he knocked Vanda out in the first or second round, then you'd think about moving him up. But you continue on the path. The fans liked the fights and they were competitive. I wouldn't schedule a whole series of first- or second-round Chavez knockouts because that would be a disservice to Chavez as well as to the audience. But as long as he's competitive and he makes entertaining fights with the opponents we're matching him with, you continue doing it."

In other words, Arum, who admits he's making good money on these shows, doesn't want to fix what ain't broke. He points to Chavez's lack of amateur experience as a reason why he's moving him so slowly. That and because he's only 23, although Arum doubts that.
[table][tr][th=""]
Tijuana Thunder​
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]TV lineup for the Top Rank pay-per-view card Saturday night (9 ET, $39.99) at the Plaza de Toros Monumental, in Tijuana, Mexico • Junior middleweights: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (38-0-1, 29 KOs) vs. Luciano Cuello (23-0, 9 KOs), 10 rounds
Junior lightweights: Humberto Soto (46-7-2, 29 KOs) vs. Antonio Davis (26-4, 13 KOs), 12 rounds, for Soto's title
Bantamweights: Fernando Montiel (38-2-1, 28 KOs) vs. Diego Silva (24-1-3, 12 KOs), 12 rounds, for a vacant interim title
Welterweights: Antonio Diaz (44-5-1, 29 KOs) vs. Javier Castro (19-1, 17 KOs), 10 rounds
[/td] [/tr][/table]
"He's supposedly 23 but I don't believe it," he said. "I think he's younger. I think he's 21. I don't think his birth certificate was real when he turned pro. He's just beginning to grow into his body."

If Chavez is successful Saturday, Arum said the show will roll on in July with another fight in Mexico.

In the fall, Arum said he will consider stepping him up. He has let Golden Boy Promotions know that Chavez is available to face Oscar De La Hoya if he elects to fight again.

"If there is no De La Hoya fight, Chavez will fight someone like John Duddy, which will be a step up but a good fight and not a killer," Arum said. "Chavez is a kid I think can be a world-class fighter but if I was saying he was a world-class fighter now and then it wouldn't be truth in advertising. Julio is happy with the way things are right now, but he's beginning to show a little impatience."

Chavez, of course, would love to face De La Hoya, who stopped his father in two TKO victories, the first to win the junior welterweight title and the second to retain the welterweight championship.

"But just to clear something up -- I'm not chasing Oscar De La Hoya," Chavez said. "I would like to face him, of course, but if he's not interested so be it.

"I believe the Mexican fans would love to see me fight De La Hoya because of the history with my father, and it would be a dream come true for me. But if it doesn't happen it is not the end of the world. He was a great champion and to fight against him would be great for the fans and, after all, that's why we fight, for the fans."

Even if he doesn't get a chance to face De La Hoya, Chavez still wants to step up his competition after Saturday.

"There are many fighters out there that I like to face from [titlist] Vernon Forrest on down," he said. "But in order to do that I have to not only win on Saturday, but do it well enough to show Fernando Beltran and Top Rank that I'm ready for bigger challenges."

Chavez may be ready, but are his promoters?

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

How come they was announcing the score after each round? Is that a Mexican thing?
they announce it at Puerto Rico too during the Cotto fight against that one Italian dude

Back
Top Bottom