⭐ OFFICIAL 2020-2021 NBA Off-Season Thread: Olympics begin 7/23; NBA Draft 7/29⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me get the photoshop ready for 2027

E33KJltWEAEDtu7

uuuhhh

Kevin Love>Klay Thompson this was the conventional wisdom at the time.
bob myers and the warriors deserve credit for bucking it.

but rise in the prevalence of switching defenses decreased the value of the traditional PF.

we've basically transitioned from an Era where PF's dominated the game (Dirk, KG, TD)
to one where the PF's are the biggest draft busts. (Derrick Williams, Anthony Bennett, Marvin Bagley)

It’s less about the sport and much more about understanding where (and how big) your edge in the market is when you bet professionally. He was no doubt ahead of the curve with what he did analytically - but I guarantee that edge he held is long gone. So now he wants to give input on draft decisions, rotations and in-game adjustments? Very little of his gambling career transfers over there. He was betting into 2nd half totals and sides largely based off team/coach tendencies that the market didn't (or couldn't) account for. He wasn't looking at Bucks -2 vs the Nets and making a pick because he could just see the game so well. He was attacking a specific edge that he had cultivated. He admitted he pretty much lost it all in years prior and had to revamp with a model to bet off of, so it wasn't as much subjective as it was betting what his model spit out. I'd be more inclined to put more stock into his analysis if I was Cuban if he had made his fortune as a subjective better, not a modeler. Models come with expiration dates. So yeah if I’m a longtime scout who gets to watch this guy draft Tyrell Terry when I'm opposed to it, hell yeah I’m pissed.

A person who makes a ton in the stock market might not be equipped to help run a Fortune 500 company - two different worlds. They’d at least show some humility about it *if they want to do it well and try to understand what they don't know. I think that's his biggest issue, because there's not much denying he's at least a bright guy.

I work with guys who make a living doing this stuff and none would ever be equipped to step into the actual field. It’s just not the same. There’s value in both sides - but I think Bob’s comes from 10,000 feet and once you get into the minutiae, his value is honestly probably negative. It's not his fault other than being arrogant, he just likely has no idea. Maybe his knowledge is just superior but given the Mavs recent history and some of the takes he’s given out (KP > Giannis) idk. There's other people that aren't qualified that end up with these gigs too, but I can understand the pushback on Harlabob when it comes with his level of arrogance.

You could be totally right in theory,

but imo I could write a paragraph about the blind spots and limitations of every GM background.
and find hard to imagine that building effective models, and identifying and exploiting edges in a thick market like sports betting

has zero application to being an NBA executive.

my point in general is I think people and business in general are too obsessed with credentialism and getting people with the right "background"

my approach in hiring, im much more willing to take shots on people with untraditional backgrounds.
that's how you find people with unique approaches that add value to your organization.

You could be totally right in theory,

but imo I could write a paragraph about the blind spots and limitations of every GM background.
and find hard to imagine that building effective models, and identifying and exploiting edges in a thick market like sports betting

has zero application to being an NBA executive.

my point in general is I think people and business in general are too obsessed with credentialism and getting people with the right "background"

my approach in hiring, im much more willing to take shots on people with untraditional backgrounds.
that's how you find people with unique approaches that add value to your organization.

What organizations or businesses have you ran?

I hooped with Bibby in AZ some time ago. Dude was yoked. Still had a solid handle and jumper though. 1st step was aight, but bruh like a running back that just shows up to to the court.

sounds like you called foul on him a couple times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom