☆☆ 2012 NBA Finals ☆☆ The King has been crowned; Heat win 2012 NBA Finals! Bron Finals MVP.

CP3 made no mention of the Lakers sorry buddy and why would D12 be a viable option when Gasol/Bynum got that position covered. Anyways haters can keep on hating but the emergence of B.Griffin easily makes us an attractive option for more than just 1 or 2 FA's out there. Many players are eager to be part of Griffin's encore trust me.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Originally Posted by lokiD40

Originally Posted by amel223

League pass better come to a 50 percent discount this year.
this.  or better yet, how about FREE to welcome fans back?!?!?!!
eyes.gif
For real, a BIG discount would be much appreciated. I'm talking under a hundred bucks ($89.99
nerd.gif
).

Originally Posted by HOOD17

Just realized that the Heat will be in the building while the Mavs get their "rings" and raise the banner
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Right?

And I mentioned this a long while back, but there should be exceptions for whichever team wins the championship... they should get some sort of bonus which makes it easier for them to keep their free agents or be able to extend their own FA's contracts w/minimal penalty or some %#%!.

THAT should be the real prize in winning a chip.
oh hell naw. would just make the competition that much smaller...

Would Chris Paul pay to play in NYC?

We've been hearing since the infamous wedding toast of last summer that Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire and Chris Paul want to play together for the Knicks. We're two-thirds of the way there. Melo and Amare are already Knicks, and CP can become a free agent after the season and sign with New York. Looks like a slam dunk, right?

Not so fast.

It appears the only realistic way that Paul can end up in Gotham would be if he is willing to take a massive pay cut. He would likely make about 60 percent as much in New York as he could make in New Orleans and, even in the best-case scenario, forego tens of millions of dollars compared to playing in other markets.

Let's quickly follow the salary-cap logic involved in Paul moving to the Knicks as a free agent:

• The current salary cap is at $58 million with the players taking a 51.1 percent share of BRI.

• Next year, the players' share goes down to 50 percent, likely offsetting any increase in BRI itself. In other words, one can reasonably expect next season's salary cap to be right around $58 million.

• The Knicks have $39.5 million committed just to Stoudemire and Anthony. (And before you ask, they cannot renegotiate their contracts downward.)

• Even if the Knicks got rid of everybody else and just had those two on the roster, the 10 "cap holds" for minimum salary players would occupy another $5 million in salary cap space.

• That means the Knicks have an absolute minimum of $44.5 million committed.

• Which, in turn, leaves the Knicks with an absolutely best-case scenario of a $13.5 million starting salary for Paul.

Paul will make $16.4 million this year and would be opting out of $17.7 million in 2011-12. Should he opt out next summer, a new five-year contract with the Hornets would start at $17.177 million and pay him as much as $22.3 million by the end -- a total of $98.8 million. In comparison, over the life of the maximum allowable four-year deal with the Knicks, he could get only $57.6 million.

So if Paul really wants to go to New York, he can go -- as long as he's willing to give up, at a minimum, forty million dollars to do it. (The same, incidentally, applies for Deron Williams or Dwight Howard.)

In fact, even this scenario seems optimistic as far as Paul's New York earning potential; it would basically involve New York giving away Iman Shumpert, Toney Douglas, and Landry Fields, not to mention whatever players the Knicks sign this offseason or draft next June. The Knicks would have only the "mini" mid-level and a bunch of minimum contracts to use to surround Paul, Anthony and Amare -- they'd have vastly less, in other words, than even the Heat had to work with last summer.

Should the Knicks keep Shumpert and Douglas around, New York would have just $11 million for Paul's starting salary, and the total value of the contract would be half what he could get by staying a Hornet; even compared with leaving the Hornets and signing with another team for the full maximum, he'd be leaving about $30 million on the table.

Around this point, Knicks fans will point out that a free-agent signing isn't the only way Paul can end up in New York. He could also try to force a trade, and that wouldn't be as financially damaging. Paul's potential earnings improve somewhat if he wants to do a sign-and-trade or an extend-and-trade, although they still lag behind what he can make by staying.

Alas, there's one little problem with that: The Knicks would need something worth trading. Sorry, New Yorkers, the Hornets aren't giving away their superstar for Chauncey Billups' expiring contract and Douglas. They can't even trade a draft pick, as their 2012, 2014 and 2016 first-round picks are all owed to other teams and the league forbids teams from trading picks in consecutive years. In other words, if New Orleans decides to pre-emptively trade CP to avoid losing him as a free agent, there's a zero percent chance of his landing on the Knicks to join Amare and Melo.

Moreover, if the Hornets are convinced CP is leaving, it's hard to imagine them passively waiting around for Paul to ditch them in the summer. Especially after that whole LeBron thing two summers ago.

This is why I argued the Knicks overpaid in the Anthony trade with Denver rather than being patient and signing him outright over the summer -- they have no assets left to make a deal for Paul, and yet from a financial standpoint, trading for Paul is the most realistic route to bringing him on board.

Or rather, they do have one asset if it's important enough to them: They could trade Anthony for Paul.

No matter how you slice it, it seems somewhere between highly unlikely and virtually impossible for Paul to end up with Amare and Melo on the Knicks. He can't force a trade there, he'd take a financial bath signing there as a free agent, and the Hornets aren't going to sit idly by and lose him for nothing. The CP-to-New York talk to match Miami's Big 3 makes for fun conversation for this winter, but the Knicks lost hope of this happening the day they made the Anthony trade.
Link

The worst part about the lockout ending is all of the nonsense speculation and rumors that is now being strewn about. These writers had so much pent up garbage they couldnt wait to get out there.

That Hollinger article answered a few financial questions I had as far as the realistic possibility of Chris w/ NYK. Doesn't mean that it won't happen, just that it doesn't really make any sense.

Personally I would like the idea of Chris teamed up with Eric & Blake in LA I also like Deron & Dwight in Brooklyn (if he's not coming to the crib) ... I think these would be great looks for the league.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

The worst part about the lockout ending is all of the nonsense speculation and rumors that is now being strewn about. These writers had so much pent up garbage they couldnt wait to get out there.
Same goes for half the people that have come out the woodwork to be in the NBA thread this year. 
30t6p3b.gif
  I'm waitin for some of the riff raff to die down so I don't have to keep reading ridiculous nonsense every day in here.  Ya know, unless it's my ridiculous nonsense. 
laugh.gif

I can't figure out yet if the trade/free agent period is going to be a frenzy, or dead air.  Teams are still tryin to figure out all the rules, levels, etc, we may not see any real big action for another year or so.  The Dwight/CP3 stuff may drag on for another year still, I don't think we see immediate movement with those 2. 

Only way that happens is if either NO or Orl panic's and pulls a Denver.

In that case who are the suitors?

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

I just don't see the Clippers doing any of that. 
We all know CP3 wants to play with Melo and Amare. There is maybe a 2% chance he ends up as a Clipper.
laugh.gif
The same thing with Dwight. He will end up in New Jersey before LAC.
I don't know man, I know the glitz and the glam is in NY, but if I'm looking at rosters, LAC has something more suitable for Paul. It's a question of whether you want EG+DeAndre for Melo as your core, because to an extent, Griffin and Amare can be thought of as a wash. Neither are excellent defenders, both are high-offense guys, both are good rebounders, both are top athletes. There's more to do with DeAndre and Blake if you ask me.

I'm probably am just too crazy thinking about all the possibilities with DeAndre and Blake.
laugh.gif

You do realize Miami almost won in their first and only year together right?

Yeah, they have arguably the two BEST PLAYERS in the ENTIRE WORLD.
laugh.gif

And they still lost.

I'm sorry, but you have the two best players in the world on your team, with a decent squad around them that had very little injuries, I ain't backing you up. Can't do it. There are no excuses, they lost when "they should have won."

Basketball is a team game buddy. I've gone into tournaments and leagues with stacked teams and ended up losing to teams that had guys that played together for years. Team chemistry is what wins championships. And how do you figure that the Heat had a decent squad around Bron, Wade and Bosh? They had a D-League level center and things were so rough at point guard that they had to bring in Mike Bibby at the end of the season. Their bench consisted of James Jones and Mike Miller who would take turns to see who could miss the most wide open 3's throughout the season, Big Z on his last legs, and beyond washed up Jamaal Magloire. The Mavericks had THE best player in the Playoffs, a Hall of Fame point guard hungry for a championship, the best 6th man in the league, one of the top centers in the league, one of the breakout players in the playoffs in Barea, and Brendan Haywood, Shawn Marion and Stevenson. They didn't lose to some scrubs.

Originally Posted by af1 1982

Me
ColdCity
Ballinsam23
Zyzz
Caerus
rck2sactown
703FlipFiend
Mr Marcus
jhova718
KayGeeDaGr8

We got our 10. 703FlipFiend, 1-2 pm on Friday is perfect. That is our tentative draft time and date unless anybody says otherwise. You have until tomorrow night to let me know if that time is not good for you, otherwise we will go forth with the draft.

if you could do it anytime after 5:30pm on friday it would be good imo so everyone can get home & settled in... @ 1-2 pm im sure to be bogged down with wk or with a customer

PMatic, what are the best articles (maybe 5) you've read, post-agreement? I need to catch up!

Maybe I'm just too cut and dry. Maybe I think there's a clear division of what teams are wanting to do. But with a lot of these teams, I see a lot of egos. It's what separates Wade, LeBron, Dwight, Paul, Amare, and Melo from Dirk, Rose and Durant.

I haven't seen an ego be a problem with Amare/Melo or down in Miami. Granted 1/2 year and only a year, but these guys want to play together. So, I think for the most part they have accepted any spotlight, stats or shots being given up. 

Think you could argue that 'Ego' is what did OKC in more than anyone this past year in the playoffs. 

Might be late on this but are we doin the NT S&T official fantasy league again ???? Anyone? I know DoubleJs and KLJ etc were in it.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Maybe I'm just too cut and dry. Maybe I think there's a clear division of what teams are wanting to do. But with a lot of these teams, I see a lot of egos. It's what separates Wade, LeBron, Dwight, Paul, Amare, and Melo from Dirk, Rose and Durant.
I haven't seen an ego be a problem with Amare/Melo or down in Miami. Granted 1/2 year and only a year, but these guys want to play together. So, I think for the most part they have accepted any spotlight, stats or shots being given up. 

Think you could argue that 'Ego' is what did OKC in more than anyone this past year in the playoffs. 

We'll see how they gel a full year of Melo being the #1 option, seeing as that was Stats primary reason for leaving Phx in the first place.  Personally I'm rooting for failure ;lol

Can't wait for Booz to make that jump to the next level.

And I don't get that Hollinger piece...according to almost everyone, those players we traded were worthless.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Only way that happens is if either NO or Orl panic's and pulls a Denver.

In that case who are the suitors?
No way to tell until all the dust settles.  We don't know who is amestied yet, we don't know caps, or how far specific teams are under it, etc.  Ton of stuff left to sift thru before we know. 

In terms of who would want them, all 30 teams. 
laugh.gif

Anyone know what the final number was on the sign and trade %'s?  I remember at one point they were going to raise the % a bit, or drop it however you look at it, did it get adjusted? 

can someone create a fantasy basketball thread?
i would like to participate in a niketalk draft
smile.gif

Ill give my NT account to anyone that will bet me the wolves will be a top 10 team in the west this year
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Might be late on this but are we doin the NT S&T official fantasy league again ???? Anyone? I know DoubleJs and KLJ etc were in it.
nerd.gif

CP1708 wrote:
Same goes for half the people that have come out the woodwork to be in the NBA thread this year. 
30t6p3b.gif

"out the woodwork" what is there to talk about during a lockout? potential matchups/trades? 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom