YO! So tell me again why we hate on Season 2 of The Wire...

YO!

My homie had one of his side broads buy him the box set for his birthday. I was off today, figured I'd rewatch. I watched season 2 today and I must say..."That !#%@ be right, yo."

Why we hate on it so much?

DF!!!

White people.

Seriously though, I'm watching the Wire for the first time, and I just finished watching season 2 like an hour ago. Great stuff.

cc0153ee94ebcb40108ae0619e1c006fdd248e2.pjpg

YO!
Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

White people.

That was my preliminary inclination. I remember back in the day, I was a scrub. I basically tuned out midway through season 2 - which is why I rewatched.Having seen all the other seasons, season 2 makes a whooooooole lot more sense to me now. Especially when thinking of the series itself as social commentary onevery major American city.

DF!!!

As I was watching it I honestly thought: I bet NT doesn't like this season very much. I'm just that good. The timing of this post was incredible.

Its not bad, just goes a different route. Plus following it with season 3, seems like it was so much better.

Season 2 is vastly underrated. So many people say it is the weakest season when Season 3 easily is. I agree the only hate I have ever seen from season 2 is onhere. The focus on the working class poor and its effect on Baltimore was tremendous.

it was the docks.... come on... the docks.... props to the one dude making a cameo 2 seasons later, anybody got video??

YO!
Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23

The focus on the working class poor and its effect on Baltimore was tremendous.

And not just Baltimore. I can relate some of it to what I'm seeing going on in Charlotte; as far as construction slowing down now that all our banks are inlimbo.

DF!!!

Really I felt like people didn't like season 2 because no one could relate to the characters.. I mean come on, who here has ever thought about life on thedocks?

And plus, drug dealing is very intriguing and entertaining when properly illustrated in movies/TV shows.. the stuff that went down in the docks, not so much.

Originally Posted by Kalamazoo52

Really I felt like people didn't like season 2 because no one could relate to the characters.. I mean come on, who here has ever thought about life on the docks?

And plus, drug dealing is very intriguing and entertaining when properly illustrated in movies/TV shows.. the stuff that went down in the docks, not so much.

this pretty much sums it up.

im halfway thru season 4.

Season 3 was boring and drawn out

1 and 2 were
pimp.gif

4 is pretty good so far......

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere," you should already know who said that but honestly after watching all 5 seasons literallyback to back in a span of days I generally believed that what they were trying to depict happened everywhere to anyone. You couldn't pin an exact race,color or creed on the shortcomings of the city - everyone played they're part in turning it out for the worst. You just had to feel for the people tryingto pick up the pieces.

Originally Posted by AirAnt23

YO!
Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23

The focus on the working class poor and its effect on Baltimore was tremendous.

And not just Baltimore. I can relate some of it to what I'm seeing going on in Charlotte; as far as construction slowing down now that all our banks are in limbo.

DF!!!

Yeah Ant tons of cities across the country's working poor class have been affected. Relating to characters in a story has NOTHING to do with the ability toenjoy the greatness and realism of the storytelling in Season 2. If a story is good then its good irregardless of your ability to relate to characters. I neverworked at a dock but I sure have known what it feels like to be broke and I could feel for the characters in season 2 and understood why Sobotka and othersmade the decisions they made. If not being able to relate is your reasoning for not liking Season 2 then you need to step your Television critique game up. BTWI too just purchased the box set last week and it has some good extra stuff on it including two great mini documentaries.

season 5 is the weakest. the whole newspaper thing was lame and mcnulty faking the murders was a jump the shark moment. that being said, the wire is the bestdrama i have ever watched.

no season of the wire sucks.. it's just some are better than others. people hated season 2 because we weren't used to the change, especially so soon inthe show. after avon got booked, the show started focusing on the "faucet" in clay davis's words, and how the dope actually got to thebarksdales, which was interesting. it's just they weren't as exciting as d and them beating up crackheads and popping $$*!!@.

r.i.p. bodie. see you when i get there.. beleedat.

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Not enough Omar, Avon and Brodie
perhaps the best omar scene was in season 2. the court scene. that's probably the best wire scene behind avon and stringer's last scene onthe balcony.

"i have the shotgun, you have the briefcase."

Also consider some people may have been turned off that the show changed scenery so quickly and everyone wanted more of season 1's characters and story.And at least for me, the first half of season 2 was really slow and I didn't really get hooked until halfway through.

It's still very good, and overall incredibly important to the show.

Sure it didn't deal with direct drug dealing on the lowest levels like season 1, but the way it showed the incredibly tough life of the working classcharacters on the docks was fantastic. It's a real testament to the show that it still could be effective in touching on another aspect of life in a citylike that.

Back
Top Bottom