YELP = LEGAL EXTORTION SCAM

I'm pretty sure they only way to get 5 stars on the site to is to advertise through them. They say they don't change reviews however they follow that up saying they automatically remove "suspicious" reviews.

Dang apparently using Yelp for finding nearby restaurants and gas stations wasn't the business after all.

Cold world

Some guy wrote a bad review about the barber shop I go to and according to a barber there the shop owner called yelp and got it removed. Don't know if he had to pay or they just remove it, but I could have swore he told me he had to pay

i only use the yelp app to view pics of the food and get the number

dont eem read the comments b

lol hardly extortion

You don't pay us we won't promote you. Its just like ANY other advertising business.
They are in no way obligated to have the business up there in general, or let alone required to have positive reviews on it.

It is what it is, but small business can't expect yelp to help them "just because". Which is exactly what yelp does with its reviews.

What are you talking about though? The article says that yelp is removing positive reviews from a company if they choose not to advertise with yelp. That **** is shady

I interviewed with Yelp for ad sales. Before the interview, I did my homework on it, and what I got from the Yelp ad sales dept, it seems like they're THEY ARE trying to make business buy ad services on yelp to give them a competitive edge on a platform they created.

"We didn't land on plymouth rock, plymouth rock landed on us!"

Last edited:
I interviewed with Yelp for ad sales. Before the interview, I did my homework on it, and what I got from the Yelp ad sales dept, it seems like they're THEY ARE trying to make business buy ad services on yelp to give them a competitive edge on a platform they created.

"We didn't land on plymouth rock, plymouth rock landed on us!"
Umm.. isn't that what advertising is? If you buy ads, you're on the top spot, just like Google. The only difference here is that certain owners are claiming they are being extorted into paying or else their reviews are deleted.

Nothing in the world is free...

I do get the credibility argument, very valid.

It would be better for them now that they are established, to remove businesses that don't pay. Seems fair, instead of deleting legit positive reviews and legit negative reviews.

Social media has given a lot of people including businesses a sense of entitlement.

Nothing in the world is free...

I do get the credibility argument, very valid.

It would be better for them now that they are established, to remove businesses that don't pay. Seems fair, instead of deleting legit positive reviews and legit negative reviews.

Social media has given a lot of people including businesses a sense of entitlement.
Why? This would be like Google deleting businesses who don't pay.

A site like Yelp is very competitive. In our industry, we are constantly fighting to stay in the top 5 on Yelp. Some businesses will take the shortcut and pay for being the top rank. Others will place an offer in their profile for a discount on their product, which allows the owner to split the money with Yelp that the customer pays. Both are legitimate ways of advertising for the business. We choose to ask our customers to review us on there if they have been happy with our services, which is also legitimate since we have provided them with something of value, and they reciprocate by helping us promote our business so we can help others.

From my standpoint, this is actually hurting Yelp because we would have started advertising on there at least 6 months ago, but the risk of being bumped from our top spot if we stop advertising has actually cost them that money.

Back
Top Bottom