Wyclef Jean running for President of Haiti

rashi wrote:
All of those problems stem from two things, a lack of PRIVATE property rights and rampant corruption.

Fixed.

I agree with that but it is a bit redundant to say "private property rights" because "property rights" almost always means the right of individuals to not have their private property taken by the state without a very compelling reason, due process and fair compensation.

Obviously Haiti does not have a very strong protection for private property in fact, it is ranked as having less respect for private property than does the government of Venezuela. I find that astounding that you face a lower risk of confiscation and nationalize in Huge Chavez' Marxist dictatorship then you do in Haiti.

rashi wrote:
All of those problems stem from two things, a lack of PRIVATE property rights and rampant corruption.

Fixed.

I agree with that but it is a bit redundant to say "private property rights" because "property rights" almost always means the right of individuals to not have their private property taken by the state without a very compelling reason, due process and fair compensation.

Obviously Haiti does not have a very strong protection for private property in fact, it is ranked as having less respect for private property than does the government of Venezuela. I find that astounding that you face a lower risk of confiscation and nationalize in Huge Chavez' Marxist dictatorship then you do in Haiti.

I'm Haitian, and I don't know a single Haitian person who is happy about this. Ugh. Wyclef has done soooo much shady $#+ (and most every Haitian knew about it before Yele foundation had issues). Y'all don't know the half of it.

I'm Haitian, and I don't know a single Haitian person who is happy about this. Ugh. Wyclef has done soooo much shady $#+ (and most every Haitian knew about it before Yele foundation had issues). Y'all don't know the half of it.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

most politicians are crooked to begin with, but why elect someone with NO experience?
they apparently didnt learn anything from the obama election in the US.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

most politicians are crooked to begin with, but why elect someone with NO experience?
they apparently didnt learn anything from the obama election in the US.

Originally Posted by BlackStilettos

Enlighten us please.

Originally Posted by BlackStilettos

Enlighten us please.

2z52blh.gif

I agree 100% with EVERYTHING Pras says here:

and let's be real...if that earthquake never happened, Wyclef would still be using the "charitable donations" he received for Yele to give to his JO. 

I agree 100% with EVERYTHING Pras says here:

and let's be real...if that earthquake never happened, Wyclef would still be using the "charitable donations" he received for Yele to give to his JO. 

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

rashi wrote:

Fixed.

Yeah, I just emphasized "private" because, is anything really "private" anymore? Our Statist government can take land and say "Well, it's for public use. Have a nice day." without just compensation.

I would direct you to this blog post by Robert Murphy, very telling on the culture of Haiti's economy.

http://mises.org/daily/4354

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

rashi wrote:

Fixed.

Yeah, I just emphasized "private" because, is anything really "private" anymore? Our Statist government can take land and say "Well, it's for public use. Have a nice day." without just compensation.

I would direct you to this blog post by Robert Murphy, very telling on the culture of Haiti's economy.

http://mises.org/daily/4354

I just read the article that you posted.

It reminded me of why I got drawn into studying economics in the first place. Being too lazy, unfocused and hedonistic to pursue a degree in the hard sciences I still wanted to study something with universal, yet empirically verifiable, sets of laws and theorems. Economics, more than another major outside of the sciences provides that. As my intro to micro professor said "...and this demand curve slopes downward here and in Russia or in China or in Europe and anywhere else."

You can add Haiti to that list.

I just read the article that you posted.

It reminded me of why I got drawn into studying economics in the first place. Being too lazy, unfocused and hedonistic to pursue a degree in the hard sciences I still wanted to study something with universal, yet empirically verifiable, sets of laws and theorems. Economics, more than another major outside of the sciences provides that. As my intro to micro professor said "...and this demand curve slopes downward here and in Russia or in China or in Europe and anywhere else."

You can add Haiti to that list.

Back
Top Bottom