Would Gaelic Football Be More Appealing To US Audiences Than Soccer? (Video)

I was just flipping through my usual sports feeds and accidentally stumbled on Gaelic Football.  I watched about 5 minutes confused and totally lost before I decided to look up what the hell it was I was watching.

The sport moves about as fast as rugby, features fighting like hockey, and has a lot more scoring than soccer. Would this be more popular in the U.S. than regular soccer/football is?

That !+*$ looks fun as hell to play. 
laugh.gif

That looks so confusing 
laugh.gif
.  I wish we played something like that in gym class.  We used to play European handball which was fun as hell.
They'd have to change the name of it.  Americans probably won't like that it's pronounced with the word gay in it.

Originally Posted by shogun

We used to play European handball which was fun as hell.
This. At work we played this for team building
laugh.gif

Wow, this is a game I probably would have made up with my neighborhood friends. Crazy how this is an actual sport.

for the record i have no idea what the rules are and i sat and watched 5-10 minutes of this.

What is this? Must be the guys who can't make it in either soccer or rugby over there. Looks hella fun.

This is what happens when a bunch of drunk people want to invent a sport.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

What country is this popular in? I see my professional athlete window re-opening a smidge.
laugh.gif

No idea... I think it might be international? I stumbled on the Australia vs. Ireland game and the stadium (i think it was in Australia) was pretty full.  From what I gather it was an exhibition of an Aussie rules football team (australia) vs. a Gaelic football team (Ireland).

To me, that looks like Australian football except with an oval instead of round ball.

As someone mentioned, I think that team handball might appeal more to the Americans. Basically, it's a mixture of soccer and baskeball with more contact, and requires upper body strength.

Also, how about hurling?
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom