World Cup blog for soccer fans of all levels... Update: France sans Zidane

Tevez, you're right that Ivory Coast is a weak team in the grand scheme of things, but I think where we disagree is about how comparatively weak North Korea is. Maybe Ivory Coast hasn't hat the best track record against good teams, but North Korea hasn't even had a chance to prove itself because it has never played teams the quality of its group-mates. I'm not saying we should hold this against them necessarily, but I certainly do think that it works against their chances. Ivory Coast could well struggle against Brazil and Portugal, but I think the abundance of talent that you pointed to will allow them to make quick work of North Korea. I guess it'll be interesting to see how this tie ends up.

As for Ronaldinho, I wasn't just talking about his partying, but also his playing style. I get the feeling that Dunga sees his technical ability as a double edged sword: on the one hand, it can blow a game open at any point, but at the same time, it can be frustrating when it leads to turnovers, especially since Brazil has enough talent that they don't need to display individual skill to get past people. I don't think it's necessarily Ronaldinho's fault that he may not be called up, but I understand why Dunga seems hesitant. He has a strong squad that has played well together recently, and he might be hesitant to bring in a player that will demand some of the ball and will attract a good amount of media scrutiny. Perhaps Dunga doesn't want to constantly answer questions about Ronnie's playing time.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

BTW, South Korea profile is up. I hate their team with a passion so it was hard to write a somewhat objective profile.
laugh.gif

I saw that. 2002 was a great year for me. That's all I gotta say. Referee might've helped us but I don't know why people seemed to forget how easy Japan was grouped which was co-host of that tournament. Also, we had plenty of bad referee cost against us before 2002. It was about damn time we getting some favorable calls.
laugh.gif
 We also played a quality football during that tournament despite what other people can say about referee. I don't think you can't just beat Portugal or Italy by referee 'favoring' your team. I don't mind Italians getting bad calls once in a while anyway (2006 WC game against US? Now, that was some horse**** officiating)Well, Portugal during that game shot themselves in their foot anyway.

You just mad that Ji Sung Park scored BOTH winning goal in qualifiers
laugh.gif

We need to have stronger defense, our offense can great goals but our defense is such a problem...well, since 2002. Aging keeper is another problem.

I agree with Tevez that North Koreans won't go down as easily. They played a solid defense during qualifiers, I think they are pretty much locked for 3 losses (2 draws-1 loss would be more than sucessful for them) but it won't be a blowout like lot of people are expecting. Their striker, Chong Tese, is one player to watch
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by parasight21

BTW, South Korea profile is up. I hate their team with a passion so it was hard to write a somewhat objective profile.
laugh.gif

I saw that. 2002 was a great year for me. That's all I gotta say. Referee might've helped us but I don't know why people seemed to forget how easy Japan was grouped which was co-host of that tournament. Also, we had plenty of bad referee cost against us before 2002. It was about damn time we getting some favorable calls.
laugh.gif
 We also played a quality football during that tournament despite what other people can say about referee. I don't think you can't just beat Portugal or Italy by referee 'favoring' your team. I don't mind Italians getting bad calls once in a while anyway (2006 WC game against US? Now, that was some horse**** officiating)Well, Portugal during that game shot themselves in their foot anyway.

You just mad that Ji Sung Park scored BOTH winning goal in qualifiers
laugh.gif

We need to have stronger defense, our offense can great goals but our defense is such a problem...well, since 2002. Aging keeper is another problem.

I agree with Tevez that North Koreans won't go down as easily. They played a solid defense during qualifiers, I think they are pretty much locked for 3 losses (2 draws-1 loss would be more than sucessful for them) but it won't be a blowout like lot of people are expecting. Their striker, Chong Tese, is one player to watch
pimp.gif
Yeah I actually gave the South Koreans quite a bit of props in the profile, and if you read the Japan piece I made specific mention of how easy their group was in 2002. I think the calls in 2002 were beyond just bad officiating, they were symptoms of corruption and match-fixing, but I didn't want to go into that in the profile because I think the South Koreans are a good team whether or not the officials help them. 

Just posted a new piece about the best teams that missed out on this year's World Cup.

Originally Posted by ThaDoogal23

did scotland make it into your best teams that didnt qualify section? lol
Absolutely not. 
laugh.gif
 Haven't made it to WC/Euro since 1998.
Mega-update breaking down the teams into groups based on strength. 

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Awesome blog!! How often do you update?
Thanks man, I try to put up an update every day or two.
Just put up a new one about South Africa.

I'm sort of conflicted about bumping this thread again and again. On the one hand it feels cheap, but on the other I make nothing from this blog and I just wanna get the word out. I encourage people to subscribe to the blog on the right side of the home page or to leave their addresses here so I can do it for you. If you think it's worth a read, of course. 

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Awesome blog!! How often do you update?
 I encourage people to subscribe to the blog on the right side of the home page or to leave their addresses here so I can do it for you. If you think it's worth a read, of course. 
[email protected]

Persia, good looks on this blog. I have some knowledge on the upcoming WC, but this blog should/will put me over the top.

Originally Posted by bkmac

Persia, good looks on this blog. I have some knowledge on the upcoming WC, but this blog should/will put me over the top.
Thanks man. You're basically the demographic I'm trying to reach, so let me know if there any subjects/areas you'd like to see discussed on the blog. 

I'm loving the blog G. I'm a novice when it comes to soccer, but can you go over formations? When I play FIFA my friends always adjust their formations while I just keep mine default.

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

I'm loving the blog G. I'm a novice when it comes to soccer, but can you go over formations? When I play FIFA my friends always adjust their formations while I just keep mine default.
I might do one later on formations, but real quick:
4-4-2 is the standard you could say, and it refers to 4 defenders, 4 midfielders, and 2 strikers, with a goalie behind them. Of the 4 defenders, 2 play in the center and 2 on the sides of the field. Same with the midfielders usually, 2 in the center (either stacked or side by side), and 2 on the sides of the field.

In FIFA, if you want to go more offensive, you might do 4-3-3, since that takes one of the midfielders up to play as striker. Or more defensive might be 5-3-2, which takes a midfielder from 4-4-2 back to defense.

Some make adjustments based on a specific player or players. For example, if you're playing with Barcelona and you want Messi to play behind your strikers, you might set up a 4-3-1-2, with 4 defenders, 3 midfielders, Messi as the 1 between your midfielders and strikers, and then 2 strikers up front. 

Back
Top Bottom