***WOMEN'S HOOPS THREAD*** CONGRATS, 38-0 S. Carolina! CONGRATS, LV Aces!

ezgif-4-24c326fe16.gif

Is it wrong for me as I watch some of these games... and with also being a hooper.. for context 39yo, 6', 168lbs and I would say I'm a hooper hooper with never playing collegiately or in HS... to check some of these WNBA players

Like being at the game on Thursday.... Diggins Smith ain't doing that to me

Is it wrong for me as I watch some of these games... and with also being a hooper.. for context 39yo, 6', 168lbs and I would say I'm a hooper hooper with never playing collegiately or in HS... to check some of these WNBA players

Yes it is. Two things to say about this.

On the one hand, entire articles have been written about this. Professional players writing about how some random guy always thinks he can beat her in 1-on-1. I can find the article if you want to read it. So yes it's wrong of you because the guys all lose and then make up excuses why they lost.

On the other hand, this is what men do. Society has trained us to believe that we can, under the right circumstances, be the baddest MFs on earth. So random hoopers like us think we can beat the guy at the end of an NBA bench, like Brian Scalabrine. And so Brian Scalabrine did this whole series just washing guys left and right in 1 on 1s.

But it persists. Men in the US are hard headed. Strong willed. And just stupidly overconfident. Whether in sports or in life. We get ourselves into all kinds of situations because of it. So yeah, you're wrong, but this is what we do, cause this is how America socializes us. And it takes conscious, active monitoring of your own thoughts to not do this (and not be racist, sexist, ablist, etc)

On the one hand, entire articles have been written about this. Professional players writing about how some random guy always thinks he can beat her in 1-on-1. I can find the article if you want to read it. So yes it's wrong of you because the guys all lose and then make up excuses why they lost.

On the other hand, this is what men do. Society has trained us to believe that we can, under the right circumstances, be the baddest MFs on earth. So random hoopers like us think we can beat the guy at the end of an NBA bench, like Brian Scalabrine. And so Brian Scalabrine did this whole series just washing guys left and right in 1 on 1s.

But it persists. Men in the US are hard headed. Strong willed. And just stupidly overconfident. Whether in sports or in life. We get ourselves into all kinds of situations because of it. So yeah, you're wrong, but this is what we do, cause this is how America socializes us. And it takes conscious, active monitoring of your own thoughts to not do this (and not be racist, sexist, ablist, etc)
I def didn't say 1 on 1. That of course can fuel to your argument.... I was referring to 5 on 5 team basketball.

The thought of playing anyone of them has never crossed mind... but now that you mention it... def wouldn't mind doing some love and basketball with Alysha Clark!

• Haha
Reactions: HIM

The random hoopers point with Brian Scalabrine lol

I shouldn’t even be entertaining this because as Public Enemy Public Enemy pointed out, even thinking this is unnecessary and sexist.

But yo you didn’t even play in HS?! You’d get cooked out there - the game is so much faster than you imagine. You say you’d rather have a 5v5 than a 1v1 but you’d get exposed way worse in a 5v5 game. I would actually love to see this now because I like bbq chicken and you’d be it from the first possession :lol:

A different sport, but there was that story of a boys high school soccer team absolutely destroying the u.s. women's national team in a match. In that scenario, the physical differences were probably too much.

A different sport, but there was that story of a boys high school soccer team absolutely destroying the u.s. women's national team in a match. In that scenario, the physical differences were probably too much.

Look I’m not gonna pretend there aren’t significant physical differences between men and women but

1) the W has some of the best female athletes on the planet. USWNT isn’t starting a 6’4 CB - meanwhile almost every W team has a 6’5 center. Rhine Howard is 6’2, 175 and can move on the perimeter - she’s torching 95% of dudes out there.

2) the floor spacing is way smaller on a W court than on a full size soccer field, so differences in speed can be exploited and exacerbated.

3) that boys soccer team was elite. The skill gap was more or less non existent. I don’t think people realize just how much more skilled a W player is than essentially anyone who didn’t play beyond HS.

I’ve had this argument with friends too many times, and men definitely are foolishly overconfident in this context.

For reference, I am bigger than someone like Rhine, played past HS, and I still want no parts of guarding someone like her, or a lightning quick guard like Kelsey Mitchell, and definitely NO parts of a post player like A’ja or even more mid-tier-but-still-massive players.

I shouldn’t even be entertaining this because as Public Enemy Public Enemy pointed out, even thinking this is unnecessary and sexist.

But yo you didn’t even play in HS?! You’d get cooked out there - the game is so much faster than you imagine. You say you’d rather have a 5v5 than a 1v1 but you’d get exposed way worse in a 5v5 game. I would actually love to see this now because I like bbq chicken and you’d be it from the first possession :lol:
I'm the first born of Nigerian parents who came to the states from there when I was 2. Sports wasn't a point of interest. Education and studies are. Been hooping since a little kid of course recreation cuz my parents weren't thinking let me see what his interests are and let's get involved in that. I have 2 younger brothers(2 yrs and 5yrs younger). I had to hear the NO's so they can get the yes as they both played in HS and College(we from Brooklyn so it was CUNY hoops). So yea it wasn't because I couldn't.... just wasn't an option

Look I’m not gonna pretend there aren’t significant physical differences between men and women but

1) the W has some of the best female athletes on the planet. USWNT isn’t starting a 6’4 CB - meanwhile almost every W team has a 6’5 center. Rhine Howard is 6’2, 175 and can move on the perimeter - she’s torching 95% of dudes out there.

2) the floor spacing is way smaller on a W court than on a full size soccer field, so differences in speed can be exploited and exacerbated.

3) that boys soccer team was elite. The skill gap was more or less non existent. I don’t think people realize just how much more skilled a W player is than essentially anyone who didn’t play beyond HS.

I’ve had this argument with friends too many times, and men definitely are foolishly overconfident in this context.

For reference, I am bigger than someone like Rhine, played past HS, and I still want no parts of guarding someone like her, or a lightning quick guard like Kelsey Mitchell, and definitely NO parts of a post player like A’ja or even more mid-tier-but-still-massive players.
It is all imaginary obviously for me as it'll never happen

Back
Top Bottom