will I be too old to go back to school?

I have a journalism degree and am currently a sports writer...

If anyone asks me right now if they should go that route, absolutely not.

I have a journalism degree and am currently a sports writer...

If anyone asks me right now if they should go that route, absolutely not.

How come? I love writing and I love sports so I don't know how it could be a bad profession. Is it the salary?

I am currently a b school student Anderson '14, with some relevant experience.

If I read correctly you currently have a bachelors degree? If not make sure you get that taken care of- additionally, try to contribute to papers and blogs as much as possible.

Two things:
1: Your choice of major for undergraduate degree will not hold you back from getting accepted into quality programs, but a lack of analytical skills definitely will hold you back.
2. A master program in writing through a school with a strong network (USC etc.) could prove to be paramount to you landing the type of job that you want.

Also remember that sports writing has shifted to greater appreciation for data analytics. If you can carve out a niche with your local papers as someone that really understands analytics you can likely make a case for yourself to continue to climb up the sports journalist ladder.

I am currently a b school student Anderson '14, with some relevant experience.

If I read correctly you currently have a bachelors degree? If not make sure you get that taken care of- additionally, try to contribute to papers and blogs as much as possible.

Two things:
1: Your choice of major for undergraduate degree will not hold you back from getting accepted into quality programs, but a lack of analytical skills definitely will hold you back.
2. A master program in writing through a school with a strong network (USC etc.) could prove to be paramount to you landing the type of job that you want.

Also remember that sports writing has shifted to greater appreciation for data analytics. If you can carve out a niche with your local papers as someone that really understands analytics you can likely make a case for yourself to continue to climb up the sports journalist ladder.

Yea I already have a bachelors degree. The problem is my gpa wasn't high enough to get accepted into a masters program, like an mba, so I most probably have to do a second undergraduate degree then apply for a masters.

Thanks for all the advice in here guys. I was hesitant at first about whether I should go back or not but now I've made up my mind and am gonna go back next fall.

How come? I love writing and I love sports so I don't know how it could be a bad profession. Is it the salary?

If you wanted to work at a daily u would start off making pennies on the dollar. Just not the right industry to go into right now.

I was the sports editor at what is recognized as the third best student newspaper in the nation... Only 1 of my writers got a job writing sports.

Last edited:

If you wanted to work at a daily u would start off making pennies on the dollar. Just not the right industry to go into right now.

my boy had to start off covering prep football. he enjoyed it, but it didnt really pay much. gotta start somewhere.

my boy had to start off covering prep football. he enjoyed it, but it didnt really pay much. gotta start somewhere.

And he was probably a freelancer... No insurance, no beat, 1- 2 games a week and 50 bucks a game.

Back
Top Bottom