Why isn't the hook shot used anymore?

Originally Posted by PMatic

Too many kids want to learn to dunk or shoot threes.
Thsi
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
all I do is dunk and launch 3 balls
pimp.gif

If you're talking about the sky hook - there's a couple reasons. Mostly, its just an awkward and difficult move in general. It's pretty hard especially for big men who are normally less coordinated than guards. You need to be balanced and have a really soft touch - that's without an athletic 7 footer in your grill. A regular hook shot is much easier and still effective. You also have to be long and athletic for it to work. There was a point where Nenad Krstic would try and bust out the sky hook and athletic defenders would block it every time. I see guys pull it off occasionally but it's just realllly hard to make consistently.

If you're talking about a regular hook shot, I don't know what you/anyone here is talking about. Reminds me of the "lost art of the mid range game" type dudes. The hook shot is used plenty (ex. every single big man that plays in the post). Basically everyone (including guards and forwards) that scores in the post uses the hook shot regularly (except for Dirk who only shoots fadeaways).

Because it's extremely hard to perfect and really, only two players in history have perfected it enough to use it consistently as an offensive weapon: Kareem and Bob Lanier.

If we are talking about a Skyhook, I think its the same reason why some are afraid to shoot FTs Granny Style/underhand...its all ego. Also Kareem played in college when you couldnt dunk so that weapon was allowed to be perfected with either hand. So when he got old and couldnt throw down into the rim he could still hit the hook consistantly. Others still use hooks now and since then but nowadays footwork is terrible and fundementals are overshadowed by athletic ability.

Look at it this way...even when Kareem was using it, there weren't many others that did.

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

Because of the Slam Dunk Contest...Thread
For giggles btw,
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

that was hard to watch dude can barely speak 
on a similar note i you hear tyreke evans speak in high school dude is dumb as rocks

Back
Top Bottom