Why is the West so slept on currently?

OK, so the "jerk" thing going on is something everyone uses against us...but look at the South and what was going on with Crunk and now Gucci/Waka/Travie/Dash...

Anyways, the Jerkin movement is putting out club bangers...

Audio Push
Cali Swag District
New Boyz
The Pack
The Dudez
Mann

Then you got the "New West" music aka Summertime music...

Dom Kennedy
Pac Div
TiRon
Diz Gibran
Overdoz
U-N-I
Goldsmith

Then you got dudes like Nipsey and Jay Rock with the street %*#! while Fashawn is putting it down for the West lyrically...

Just curious why the West Coast is so overlooked currently...

like i mentioned on Twitter, i forgot a few artists, including Kendrick Lamar, Blu
pimp.gif
, Sean Brown and YG who is putting out some of those club bangers...

From what I gather, west coast artists just don't appeal to other regions as well. I bump that new Game in NY though

Originally Posted by Twig1026

From what I gather, west coast artists just don't appeal to other regions as well. I bump that new Game in NY though

that's what i don't understand. i've got artists listed from damn near every aspect of the game...

The West is dead. That whole "jerkin" BS is complete garbage.

Nipsey/Game tries to keep it afloat and aside from OG's like Snoop and Cube, yall pretty desolate

How you not name Kendrick Lamar though?

He better than most those dudes you named up there.

the West has been bubbling not so quietly for a couple of years now. this is NT so everything is extra east coast oriented, the level to which NT sleeps on the west doesn't represent your typical aware listener.  I've never heard a lot of the artist OP mentioned, but jerkin is terrible, i dont see the anything good about it from a musical stand point.

blogs have been highlighting the "New West", look at okayplayer, 2dopeboyz, onsmash, etc. unfortunately this hasn't translated to mainstream attention in the sense of radio play and 106 and Park appearances.
Originally Posted by Twig1026

i disagree with this not because it's not true but because it applies to the game as a whole. in the last few years only a select few artist truly have had any appeal outside of their region unless they're from the south, and even then you have to be on.

Originally Posted by KleanKicks

Nipsey/Game tries to keep it afloat and aside from OG's like Snoop and Cube, yall pretty desolate
and of course you got ignorant n_'s like the above too far removed from the west coast scene, shouldn't even be commenting
smh.gif

it'll come back around to the west. it's all in cycles. the kid dom kennedy is in this month's XXL so the west is definitely not obsolete.

I mess wit Pac Div a lil, everyone else not so much.
Been checkin for some Blu too. Like homey said everything
Is a cycle and I'm sure the west will get the ball back soon.

If these dudes could just get mainstream noise, The West would take over.
But they cant do that if the "Old West" wont embrace them *@@+$%.

The lyrically rappers are dope and marketable.

The lyrically but chill music rappers are super marketable.

Jerkin is hot no lie, I wouldnt do it but I @%+*# with them, they getting money.

The New West is lowkey the best region in hiphop right NOW.

But you forgot one rapper my dude, and hes part of this movement as well..

25ti05v.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Labels need to step it up.

The Old West needs to embrace them more.

Please please keep tyga outta this thread he's ****enn wack

The West Coast is putting in work I think the first to really put it back on the map will be Pac Div, Dom and/or U-N-I
But don't get it twisted cuz these dude are touring around the country and getting mad love

Idk, tell Dre to realease that damn Detox album and the West will be revived
laugh.gif
. But seriously, it's all a cycle. Not to mention, the West gotta start pushin themselves and promotin themselves to get that love. Until then, the world will continue to ignore.

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Idk, tell Dre to realease that damn Detox album and the West will be revived
laugh.gif
. But seriously, it's all a cycle. Not to mention, the West gotta start pushin themselves and promotin themselves to get that love. Until then, the world will continue to ignore.
laugh.gif
the west (bay area artist) have been the definition of promoting and pushin yourself since the beginning of time. these younger acts like Pac Div be eatin off they're own hard work too.

Blu is dope. Fashawn is dope.

I like what I hear from Pac Div but I'm not gonna say I'm a fan (yet)...

can someone refer to me ALL their mixtapes?

None of them have broken in to the mainstream. However, doing that today means fitting in to some already accepted style whether that's their style or not.

It's one thing to find your own lane it's a whole other to make that lane popular. That new west rappers you listed just haven't had that great song heard by the masses yet. I already know Dom, TiRon, PacDiv, Blu, U-N-I, etc. have the capability.

I dont even %$*! with too much west coast and I'm from here. Our radio stations don't even promote our artists. But Pac Div has a top 3 mixtape of 2010 and no one can tell me otherwise

Originally Posted by KleanKicks

The West is dead. That whole "jerkin" BS is complete garbage.

I agree and im from the West. 

Back
Top Bottom