Why is it? Vol. Hurricane Katrina vs. Japanese Tsunami

lol, another one of these posts, huh?

at least katrina is a comparable disaster....unlike, say, comparing DC to 3rd world countries...

lol, another one of these posts, huh?

at least katrina is a comparable disaster....unlike, say, comparing DC to 3rd world countries...

Originally Posted by adiosburritos

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

some things are better left unsaid, but i will say that there's very little crime in japan

they don't act out the way many people in this country do hence more sympathy going their way
QFT
a large number of people in America act like complete animals 
QFT
ALSO THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR ANY OF THIS

there handling it differently those pictures of looting wouldn't be around if they didn't give them a chance to take the picture 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Why is that when Katrina hit New Orleans, it was utter chaos. Imagery of blacks people stealing, looting, robbing, killing etc. (why would people do this?)

The media focused on black people looting, robbing and killing but it was the people of New Orleans as a whole.  It was a bad situation all around.

As far as Japan is concerned, it just happened a little more than 12 hours ago.

Plus you are trying to compare apples and oranges.  Sure they are both natural disasters, but it is not the same.  I'm not saying the people of Japan are going to loot, which I doubt, but you think people will actually think about that with a 30ft wall of water coming at you at over 500mph.  No chance.

also, why are people in the states feeling more sympathy for haiti and japan and not new orleans? 

Earthquakes happen with little to no warning.  Japan has a 10 second warning system, however the earthquake occured off shore, causing the tsunami that really did the most damage.  If I recall correctly people did have sympathy for the people of New Orleans despite being appalled by the actions of a few rotten apples.

Why is that when Katrina hit New Orleans, it was utter chaos. Imagery of blacks people stealing, looting, robbing, killing etc. (why would people do this?)

The media focused on black people looting, robbing and killing but it was the people of New Orleans as a whole.  It was a bad situation all around.

As far as Japan is concerned, it just happened a little more than 12 hours ago.

Plus you are trying to compare apples and oranges.  Sure they are both natural disasters, but it is not the same.  I'm not saying the people of Japan are going to loot, which I doubt, but you think people will actually think about that with a 30ft wall of water coming at you at over 500mph.  No chance.

also, why are people in the states feeling more sympathy for haiti and japan and not new orleans? 

Earthquakes happen with little to no warning.  Japan has a 10 second warning system, however the earthquake occured off shore, causing the tsunami that really did the most damage.  If I recall correctly people did have sympathy for the people of New Orleans despite being appalled by the actions of a few rotten apples.

1. Maybe because people in New Orleans were stealing and looting?
2. This might be a perspective thing, but i think there was a lot of sympathetic media coverage for New Orleans.....and some people chose to focus on racism.
3. Haiti was a whole nother animal, things were bad enough in Haiti as it is and the disaster just turned hell into a worse level of hell.

1. Maybe because people in New Orleans were stealing and looting?
2. This might be a perspective thing, but i think there was a lot of sympathetic media coverage for New Orleans.....and some people chose to focus on racism.
3. Haiti was a whole nother animal, things were bad enough in Haiti as it is and the disaster just turned hell into a worse level of hell.

Condolences to everyone who passed but...

You know what I hate though? People using a tragedy like this to get sympathy comments/likes on their Facebook profiles - I've been disgusted with Facebook for a while and I'm considering deleting it or deactivating it as of late but this is just ridiculous. I see a constant stream of memorandums when it 'happens' but these same individuals don't give a damn about Haiti now, its kind of like "on to the next one."

People treating (recognizing) natural disasters like Holidays, what about the other 364 days in the year when things are bound to happen elsewhere worldwide...

And this may sound bad but a lot of what I'm seeing is like crying over spilt milk, you can't exactly intercept a natural disaster but you can choose how to react to it accordingly i.e. donating to genuine/certified relief efforts or volunteering to help but don't use it as a platform to make it seem like you care more than others.

Condolences to everyone who passed but...

You know what I hate though? People using a tragedy like this to get sympathy comments/likes on their Facebook profiles - I've been disgusted with Facebook for a while and I'm considering deleting it or deactivating it as of late but this is just ridiculous. I see a constant stream of memorandums when it 'happens' but these same individuals don't give a damn about Haiti now, its kind of like "on to the next one."

People treating (recognizing) natural disasters like Holidays, what about the other 364 days in the year when things are bound to happen elsewhere worldwide...

And this may sound bad but a lot of what I'm seeing is like crying over spilt milk, you can't exactly intercept a natural disaster but you can choose how to react to it accordingly i.e. donating to genuine/certified relief efforts or volunteering to help but don't use it as a platform to make it seem like you care more than others.

adiosburritos wrote:
QFT

This.
QUIT CRYING ABOUT RACISM...there was PLENTY of sympathy shown towards New Orleans. The looters in New Orleans didn't loot @#$% cause America hates them, they did so cause they were selfish immoral @#$@#$@ who deserved to be put on blast by the media

adiosburritos wrote:
QFT

This.
QUIT CRYING ABOUT RACISM...there was PLENTY of sympathy shown towards New Orleans. The looters in New Orleans didn't loot @#$% cause America hates them, they did so cause they were selfish immoral @#$@#$@ who deserved to be put on blast by the media

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

adiosburritos wrote:
QFT

This.

Basically
If I was in that situation the last thing on my mind would be getting beer or stealing materialistic things

thats just some hood rat $#!@

adiosburritos wrote:
QFT

This.

Basically
If I was in that situation the last thing on my mind would be getting beer or stealing materialistic things

thats just some hood rat $#!@

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

racism. people want to see blacks suffer then make a parody of our people by using our own skin color against us.

is this a real post?
That's a real post. 

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

racism. people want to see blacks suffer then make a parody of our people by using our own skin color against us.

is this a real post?
That's a real post. 

adiosburritos wrote:
QFT

This.

THIS!!!!!

adiosburritos wrote:
QFT

This.

THIS!!!!!

You can't be serious.

The people of Haiti are?...

There was plenty of sympathy for the people of New Orleans after Katrina, the images of people looting and the stories about robberies, killings, rapes and assaults just put a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths.  There was no excuse for people in that situation to act like animals.  Unfortunately, whether you like to accept it or not, it is a part of what happened during that disaster.

Are you going to defend all the stories that occured at the Superdome?
Are you going to defend the the fact that people evacuated their homes, only to return to their property undamaged by Katrina but vandalized by a criminal?
Because FEMA and the Bush Admin @%#!#% up, does that justify looting, robbing and raping?

Initially a lot of people felt bad about Katrina, once the stories came out, a lot of people viewed it as a cesspool full of filth. 

You can't be serious.

The people of Haiti are?...

There was plenty of sympathy for the people of New Orleans after Katrina, the images of people looting and the stories about robberies, killings, rapes and assaults just put a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths.  There was no excuse for people in that situation to act like animals.  Unfortunately, whether you like to accept it or not, it is a part of what happened during that disaster.

Are you going to defend all the stories that occured at the Superdome?
Are you going to defend the the fact that people evacuated their homes, only to return to their property undamaged by Katrina but vandalized by a criminal?
Because FEMA and the Bush Admin @%#!#% up, does that justify looting, robbing and raping?

Initially a lot of people felt bad about Katrina, once the stories came out, a lot of people viewed it as a cesspool full of filth. 

I think there's just as much sympathy as there was when Katrina happened. I don't see how it's an issue.

But Japanese people are much more prepared for a natural disaster, with all their warning systems in place, it really could have been a lot worse. With Katrina, I think no one expected the levees to break like that and put the entire city underwater.

I think there's just as much sympathy as there was when Katrina happened. I don't see how it's an issue.

But Japanese people are much more prepared for a natural disaster, with all their warning systems in place, it really could have been a lot worse. With Katrina, I think no one expected the levees to break like that and put the entire city underwater.

Back
Top Bottom