Why is Garnett considered as an MVP candidate?

Doesn't matter tho...MVP is going to Kobe like it should have went to him in 06...Dirk wins MVP b4 Kobe? WTH!?...the voters hate Kobe plain andsimple...but I think he's changin minds this year.

^ but in 06 his team finished with the 7th seed. According to the way they base their decision a lot on the team's record, he didn't deserve it. But hedoes indeed deserve it this year.

NAsh, Bird and Magic made their teammates all-stars...BIG DIFFERENCE

Kareem was a elite big man in his own right even without Magic, as was McHale without Bird. Not to mention Marion was an All Star in 03, before Nash got there

Originally Posted by BrandonL32

NAsh, Bird and Magic made their teammates all-stars...BIG DIFFERENCE

False...because all of their teammates were AS without them too...except Stat and he's fairly young and will certainly see another AS game when Nashretires

MVP should be between Kobe and CP3..

If you take KG off the celts roster they still make the playoffs in the east....Take Kobe or CP3 off their teams and they're the Heat..

^^^^^ True @%@+ the east is ****ign horrible ..you can be 10 games under .500 and be a 5th-6th seed the playoffs ...
smh.gif

But in the west you can be 10 games over and not even be a 8th seed
And you know the west is loaded with talent cause for one Baron Davis(in my mind is one of the top 3 PG) dint even make the all-star team along with others butthat is for another post

It's really not that hard, it's just the criteria of what the MVP has become, the best player on one of the best teams record wise in the NBA, so goingby that logic really the only 3 that should be getting serious consideration are KG, Kobe, and CP3. LeBron has no business being in the conversation based onthe criteria of the past 5 or so years, but the media (BSPN) give him a pass even know the Cavs are a mediocre team in the East, and wouldn't even be inthe playoffs if they were in the West. But CP3 or Kobe should and hopefully will win it because they have had the best seasons combined with their teams'success.

Kareem was a elite big man in his own right even without Magic, as was McHale without Bird. Not to mention Marion was an All Star in 03, before Nash got there
I said two AS players

But before Nash phoenix was a joke.

Okay, could Marion carry the team.....Could Amare carry the team....Amare was GOOD before Nash arrived

but answer this question....if the Minnesota didn't make the trade would Al Jeffereson be MVP if he put up those numbers?

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

MVP should be between Kobe and CP3..

If you take KG off the celts roster they still make the playoffs in the east....Take Kobe or CP3 off their teams and they're the Heat..
You might have a point if it weren't for the fact that the Celtics have a STRONG record against the Western Conference.

And Mamba...I would want Kobe to win but i wouldn't be mad if it was a Co-MVP with CP...CP is the best young PG in the L.

KG is definitely an MVP to the team but he does not have MVP type numbers.... so likely won;t win....

and on a side note....whatever happened to all those rockets posts? and to think someone actually had the nerve to say "08 rockets > 94".....
laugh.gif

BL I wouldn't be mad either, I actually think if the Hornets finish higher in the West than the Lakers, then CP3 should get it over KB, but right now Iwould vote for Co-MVPs right now. I WOULD however be EXTREMELY PISSED if LeBron ended up getting it without having one of the top 12 records in the league.

I said two AS players

But before Nash phoenix was a joke.

Okay, could Marion carry the team.....Could Amare carry the team....Amare was GOOD before Nash arrived

but answer this question....if the Minnesota didn't make the trade would Al Jeffereson be MVP if he put up those numbers?

Those said players DID have 2 AS players. Worthy and Kareem were All Stars....McHale and Parrish were also.

Stop trying to change the criteria for your original statement. Amare and Marion can carry teams just as far as Allen and Pierce can. Because none of the teamsthat Allen and Pierce carried made the playoffs. Those two only saw the playoffs when they had talent around them. The Celtics probably wouldn't be thebest team in the league if don't have KG...so no...Jefferson wouldn't be an MVP candidate.

The Celtics probably wouldn't be the best team in the league if don't have KG...so no...Jefferson wouldn't be an MVP candidate.
OKAY....they'd be number 2 with Jefferson
nerd.gif
...KGshouldn't win MVP, playin in that wack conference and two other people are out performin him with less talent around.

I believe that Garnett has done more than Pierce and Allen but I still dont know why he is in the MVP discussion

The Celtics probably wouldn't be the best team in the league if don't have KG...so no...Jefferson wouldn't be an MVP candidate.
OKAY....they'd be number 2 with Jefferson
nerd.gif
...KG shouldn't win MVP, playin in that wack conference and two other people are out performin him with less talent around.
laugh.gif
yeah ok...keep telling yourself that. Substitute KG with Aland they're nowhere NEAR what they are now...because Al Jefferson aint Kevin Garnett and will not bring to the table what KG does.

How are Allen and Pierce outperforming him?
laugh.gif

And how come you won't address the fact that the Celtics have beaten EVERY major powerhouse in the Western Conference?

no. because it's not just the numbers. It's the presence and defensive effect KG brings to that team as a leader. He's completely changedthe way this team approaches the defensive end of the floor which is the main reason why they've won so many games. He likely won't win MVP this year,but he's definitely a candidate.

The two i'm talk about are KOBE And CP3

Yeah the Celtics are beatin almost every powerhouse..(will say every if they win tonite)...but Regular Season smeason...it all depends in the playoffs which Idon't think they be 100%..Injury prone players.

Al Jefferson is good he puts up good numbers on a bad team...he's still young and will be an elite player...maybe even great...who knows...but who'sthe scariest center in the EAST?

Originally Posted by antj2k2

I believe that Garnett has done more than Pierce and Allen but I still dont know why he is in the MVP discussion

Have you seen who's won the awards the past 6 years:
2006-07 - Dirk Nowitzki,Dallas (67-15, best record in the NBA) [24.6 pts, 8.9 reb, 3.4 assists]
2005-06 - Steve Nash, Phoenix (54-28, 3rd best record in the NBA) [18.8 pts, 4.2 reb, 10.5assists]
2004-05 - Steve Nash, Phoenix (62-20, best record in the NBA) [15.5 pts, 3.3 reb, 11.5assists]
2003-04 - Kevin Garnett, Minnesota (58-24, 2nd best record in the NBA) [24.2 pts, 13.9reb, 5.0 assists]
2002-03 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio (60-22, best record in the NBA) [23.3 pts, 12.9 reb, 3.9assists]
2001-02 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio (58-24, 3rd best record in the NBA) [25.5 pts, 12.7 reb,3.7 assists]

Do you see a theme here? I mean the MVP award needs to be renamed the BPOBT award because that's what it has become. I'm not saying that these guysdidn't deserve the award, but you would see why KG would be in the discussion for this year's award. Boston is currently the best team in the NBA andhe has decent numbers (18.8 pts, 9.4 reb, 3.5 assists) and the writers seem to love him (which is a HUGE factor as well) so he could win it. So numbersdon't have as big of an effect as some of you guy think, I mean Nash won back to back MVPs with mediocre numbers (CP3 is avg. 21.5 pts, 3.9 reb, 11.3assists & leading the league in steals) so anything is possible. Like I said before though if LeBron wins the MVP, the writers and media are really hypinghim as the best ever because it would go against all of their principles from voting for the past 6 years.

okay i'll give u that...but i'm tired of talkin about a player who shouldn't win MVP....End of the day

It's either Kobe or CP3 MVP

2005-06 - Steve Nash, Phoenix (54-28, 3rd best record in the NBA) [18.8 pts, 4.2 reb, 10.5 assists]
SMH....that was Kobe's year to win it....Mark that with an asterisk...lls....sike naw...but seriously Kobe was SERIOUSLY hated thats why heain't win.

Kobe - 28.2 ppg / 6.1 rpg / 5.3 apg

LeBron - 30.9 ppg / 8.1 rpg / 7.5 apg

CP3 - 21.6 ppg / 11.3 apg / 2.7 spg / 3.9 rpg

KG - 18.8 ppg / 9.4 rpg / 1.3 bpg / 3.5 apg

Now I'm sorry, but Kobe is dead last in this race.

All other 3 could make an argument to be the mvp, but let's face facts, Kobe isn't the mvp. I understand, alot of you guys are youngsters, hate MichaelJordan for some reason, didn't get to shoot enough when you were in league basketball, or hell, shot too much. For whatever reason, you're ridingKobe's d HARD, and you're not right this time. Yes, he's a great scorer. Yes, he's clutch. But he's not the MVP.

Arguments:

KG - He's the best player on the best team in the country. Could he score in the 20 bracket? Yes. But he doesn't need, too. Boston went from being 0-82last year to being on pace to win 60+ this year. Yes, Paul and Ray Ray are a big part of that, but none like KG.

Result : KG can argue he's the, now read this slowly for those of you who failed 5th grade, MOST VALUABLE PLAYER on his team, which is best in the league.

LeBron - Well, simply put, he carries his team, with less talent than Kobe's Lakers. Their record isn't as good, but they're not 10 games below 500either. Also, LeBron leads Kobe by 2 in all 3 big stats.

Result : LeBron stat line is better than Kobe's. LeBron is more important to his team than Kobe. Players want to play with LeBron because he makes everyonearound him better. Kobe NEEDS players to play with him, otherwise the Lakers struggle.

CP3 - Probably the MOST VALUABLE guy to any team in the league, he single handedly took a team from the gutter to the top floor in one year. Like Garnett didwith Boston, however, CP3 doesn't have the perennial all-stars on his team like Garnett. The Hornets are on pace to compete for the #1 seed in the West.

Result : If the award is for the most valuable player in the league, CP3's only shortcoming of Garnett is the fact that Garnett is the leader of theleague's best team. His stat line is incredible and he's sparked a fire behind a team that NO ONE thought could be in the position they're in now.

Back
Top Bottom