Why is Garnett considered as an MVP candidate?

It's just a simple questiona s to why he is being considered as an MVP candidate? It just feels like he hasn't done much since moving to Boston. Hehas played excessively less minutes because of the blowouts and more often than not, he doesn't really score or rebound in those games.

I can understand that he brings that enthusiasm and energy to the team. I can understand the Celtics are number 1 in the NBA but without Pierce and Allen, Idon't know how well they would do. Stat-wise, Garnett is not an MVP on paper but I know it's not really all about that either. Why isn't Pierceconsidered for MVP instead of Garnett? Why isn't Ray Allen? It feels like those two has contributed more than KG, well more Pierce than Allen since Allenhas been hurt.

The Celtices were 9-2 with Garnett out and on his retrun they lost 3 straight games. Again, I know it's not an aindication of an MVP or not but I'mjust pointing it out.

I guess I'm just curious why he is being considered for MVP other than the fact that the Celtics are #1? NT, enlighten me. Am I missing something?

He is the leader of the team with the best record in the NBA.

Look at the turn around this team has had. Yes PP and Ray Ray are a big part but he is viewed as the leader.

IMO CP3 is the MVP but thats just how I see it. KG should be considered.

KG has easily done more than Ray and Pierce.

Easily.

Their defense, Rondo, Davis and Perkins becoming good players.....more to do with KG than anything.

KG brings the things that you don't see...just peep the intensity at the end of the first half yesterday...Luis Scola got in his face and right then I knewthe Rockets streak was ending

And not to mention that he puts up 22 and 10 without looking like a ball hog, hell I feel like he should be puttin up 30...but he knows his role with PP andJesus on the team as well

Kevin is making huge contributions both on both sides of the ball, he's spurring a lot of the offense and the easy opportunities Boston keeps getting.He's playing with a passion and emotion unlike any player in the league, he's dominating almost all of his opponent matchups, he's making all ofhis teammates better, he's playing with an unselfishness which is contagious and he's instilling more energy into the Garden than has been seen sinceBird, McHale and Parish hung up their jerseys.
Yeah, he's just being Kevin -- the most team orientated player for ages -- but don't let it fool you. Yes it's the same Kevin we've seen sinceday one but now his teammates are responding. The green is back on!

NAh, KG dont even average 20 ppg

Sure he brings "intangibles" but there are more deserving like CP3 or LeBron

I can see that he is considered the team's leader and his intensity pumps the team up but is that really enough? On the defensive end I could see himaffecting the game but on offense, he doesn't seem to contribute much. He doesn't really get doubled much but I guess his length and mid-range shotcould spread out the floor? It's just hard for me to see him as an MVP when Allen and Pierce are in the team.

Also note, this isn't really to flame KG, just curiousity on what he has done or if he has done enough to be considered an MVP, thats all.

Look at their team defense stats from last season to this season. It's a complete 180, and it's the main reason they are such a different team thisyear. Garnett is by far the one reason for this. Their team's entire identity has changed. Pierce and Allen are both studs and deserve their love too nodoubt. But PP is never going to get "MVP" love this year when he was on last year's crappy team.

Quick look at ESPN's Team Defensive stats shows us this:

Opposing PPG
BOSTON 2006-07 - 99.2 PPG (19th in NBA)
BOSTON 2007-08 - 90.0 PPG (1st in NBA)

Opposing FG%
BOSTON 2006-07 - 46.80% (24th in NBA)
BOSTON 2007-08 - 41.74% (1st in NBA)

You said it yourself

I can understand that he brings that enthusiasm and energy to the team. I can understand the Celtics are number 1 in the NBA but without Pierce and Allen, I don't know how well they would do. Stat-wise, Garnett is not an MVP on paper but I know it's not really all about that either.
Garnett changes the mentality of a team.

Originally Posted by gko2408

You said it yourself

I can understand that he brings that enthusiasm and energy to the team. I can understand the Celtics are number 1 in the NBA but without Pierce and Allen, I don't know how well they would do. Stat-wise, Garnett is not an MVP on paper but I know it's not really all about that either.

True but my question was if that is enough though?

I'm just curious, when was the last an MVP was named and he wasn't a stat leader in the team?

ALL YALL BE SERIOUS!!! KOBE IS GOING TO WIN MVP!!! HANDS DOWN CP is coming in 2nd
Its horrible to me that KOBE has never one a MVP..but that will change in a couple of months!

he will not win...but he is in the talk....just because you need to have a player on the best team in that kind of talk....kobe...FTW

Originally Posted by J0E HUSTLE

NAh, KG dont even average 20 ppg

Yea he should be considered. But i don't think he should win. I am a Boston fan, and he defiantly has brought a new attitude and hustle. No denyingthat.
pimp.gif

He deserves to be in talks but he wont win, she should be ranked over Lebron though. Kobe should win and i hope he does.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by gko2408

You said it yourself

True but my question was if that is enough though?

I'm just curious, when was the last an MVP was named and he wasn't a stat leader in the team?

Steve Nash has two MVP's...didnt lead his team in scoring.

Well he does lead the team in rebounding by quite a large margin

9.4 Garnett
6.2 Perkins
5.3 Pierce

Plus if you want to get technical (and go by stats) at the end of the day whose stats look sexier?

Kevin Garnett
18.8 PPG, 9.4 RPG, 3.5 AST, 1.43 STL, 1.29 BLK, .538 FG

Paul Pierce
20.0 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 4.7 AST, 1.31 STL, 0.45 BLK, .453 FG

Ray Allen
18.3 PPG, 4.0 RPG, 3.0 AST, 0.97 STL, 0.25 BLK, .449 FG

I would say KG on that one.....

This should be a rule

A player on a team with two other all-star players SHOULD NOT be considered a MVP.

I mean he can't carry a team plain and simple....The only people that can are CP3...LBJ...and Kobe...they are more MVP worthy because they contribute A LOTmore then whoever else they bringing up. Kobe should win it because he has survived losing two centers, while playin with a messed up pinky.....passing theball more....and the Lakers are top 3 in the West [the better conference].

no. Im sorry but the Cavs are piss horrible, no way should Lebron "deserve" a MVP. They may suck without him, but they suck with himtoo so its a wash.

lol insane.. F'king Hollinger has everyone convinced that PER and stats is the be all and end all of basketball.. Ridiculous.. This isn't baseball..

KG might not be putting up the numbers but with his D, the Celts are lowering opponents' averages almost every game..

I guess I didn't know that basketball was a 1-way game.. Jeez..

Originally Posted by BrandonL32

This should be a rule

A player on a team with two other all-star players SHOULD NOT be considered a MVP.
If they went by that logic...Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, and Steve Nash wouldn't have a single MVP trophy.

You see how ridiculous that sounds?

Back
Top Bottom