Why does nike feel the need to bastardize retros with air max?

Originally Posted by Al Bundy5

To me, I hypebeast is someone who will buy regardless of quality, style, design or self opinion and bases his purchasing decisions purely on hype.

I agree with you and I do put my money where my mouth is. The last few jordan retros I bought made me feel like I was scammed by nike, they were nothing like the ogs I had or always wanted. So inevitably they went back to nike. They can sell their cheaply made shoes to someone else. The worst offender of the lot was the xiv. The "metal" tipped laces were cheap plastic! The playoff xiis were also garbage, but no doubt a cash cow for nike. Comparing them to the ogs, you realize it's not really the same shoe. It looks similar but it just isn't. It's like those guys who modify their Toyota mr2 to look like a Ferrari or Lamborghini. Looks the same, but under the hood you find a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine, instead of massive V12 6 litre engine

Obviously nike needs to make a profit, otherwise they wouldn't bother, but cheapening the shoes to the point they look fake is pushing it.

I have started to go the route of buying og models (just purchased ginger xvis). But there are a few drawbacks: It can very expensive, trying to find your size can sometimes be impossible, and even if you do find a pair, it's occasionally unwearable due to ageing, bottoming out airbags etc.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW its like you read my mind.  good stuff.

Originally Posted by jayzrdead

simple math take a $125 retro add a $10 max air bag(wholesale) and its now a $160 shoe.
Trust me Air max bag is not $10 wholesale... The Sneaker pretty much cost $10 to make!!!! 

Don't complain...just don''t buy it.

The JR Fury's are basically not the same shoe as the OG's, nor do they intend to be. In fact, I bought the Mariner CW. The hybrid quality actually isn't as bad as retros, since, you know, people aren't actually lining up to buy them.

Back
Top Bottom