Why did the Vince Carter line fail?

Sometimes I really don't know what you guys are talking about. Vince didn't perform up to par and so they cancelled his line. Simple as that. Hedidn't have the leader/champion persona. Haven't any of you noticed that Lebron's shoes are the first signature line since Michael Jordan to gobeyond 5 shoes?? Why is that? Because he continues to perform at the highest level. Pippen's shoes stopped at 5! Penny's stopped at 5 too. Hisshoes even continued even after he got injured. The athletes sign a 5 shoe deal, and if they perform at a high level, the contract gets renewed. Nike waitedtoo long to give Pippen his own shoe. He should have had his own line when Chicago started their first Championship run. He faded when he got to Huston, andthe Blazers, and so did his shoe line. It's that simple. If it was about the performance of the shox with VC, they would have just changed thetechnology, like they did with Lebron going from Flightposite material to regular leather. The only way Lebron's shoes stop is if he signs with anothercompany, or if he falls off dramatically, and I doubt neither will happen. Kobe will be the next Nike athlete to go beyond 5 shoes. Watch. Kevin Durantbetter not get injured. He better get in the weight room.

^I think a majority of people have said that. (With a few taking shots at VC)

And yes, Durant is the other one that has his own kicks as of this moment.

And if people are think Vince got salty at this, he really hasn't.

At one of the Season ticket holder events, I asked him quickly about his sigs and he said it is what it is. He thought of going to another brand again oroverseas but felt that he was at his best wearing Nike and being loyal to them.

Again, like I said, a change in his game and a shift in age was one of the reasons the line was stopped.

Look, even impartial observers know Vince is weak-minded and heartless. As Bill Simmons, ESPN's "Sports Guy" and several others have noted, Vinceis the happiest guy in the world whether his team wins or loses. He just don't care that much...

You don't have to like Toronto or its players -- that's not the point. Vince wuz doing fine in Canada prior to getting injured and losing the will toattack the rim. It's the tanking -- or not playing hard or whatever you want to call it -- that makes Vince weak-minded and heartless. If Vince did it inNJ, you'd call him heartless, too.

And yes -- reverse-dunking on T.O. to win the game wuz absolutely filthy. Dude can still play -- but how often does he display the desire to play hard? I'dchoose another advisor for your rookies if I wuz NJ...

Originally Posted by Rick Kang

Look, even impartial observers know Vince is weak-minded and heartless. As Bill Simmons, ESPN's "Sports Guy" and several others have noted, Vince is the happiest guy in the world whether his team wins or loses. He just don't care that much...

You don't have to like Toronto or its players -- that's not the point. Vince wuz doing fine in Canada prior to getting injured and losing the will to attack the rim. It's the tanking -- or not playing hard or whatever you want to call it -- that makes Vince weak-minded and heartless. If Vince did it in NJ, you'd call him heartless, too.

And yes -- reverse-dunking on T.O. to win the game wuz absolutely filthy. Dude can still play -- but how often does he display the desire to play hard? I'd choose another advisor for your rookies if I wuz NJ...

Give it up homie. Reciting Bill Simmons? you sound like a jilted boyfriend.
laugh.gif

I will say this though. Vince made basketball relevant in Canada.

Originally Posted by TheYoungestGun

swingshot wrote:

Rick Kang said:
The REAL reason why VC's Line fell off is because he did first./quote]

Wouldn't be the first time Nike did that either.

chris webber and penny hardaway before vc

Yep, they dropped Penny pretty quick. Wasn't the thing with Webber more to do with him seeing his shoes as too expensive? Or was that just his side ofthings?

Originally Posted by kidslikekix

; Pippen's shoes stopped at 5! Penny's stopped at 5 too..

Ah, but Penny stopped at IV, and some would say the IV just wasn't up to the same standard as his other shoes.

Reportedly, Nike offered Pippen the Foamposite (either one or pro, can't remember) before Penny, but Pippen wanted a sig shoe instead.
The fact that the retail version was a full length Air Max shoe whilst he played in a Zoom version suggests to me that the whole thing was rushed,and thatmaybe they weren't quite prepared to give him
a sig shoe.

RE: Webber
- I think you're right -- he had issue with his shoes being $120 ($200 Cdn), which he figgered would be too expensive for the kids. Too bad -- the Air MaxCW (now the Air Max Sensation) wuz a ridiculously nice shoe. I've got the first Sensation -- which features Japanese characters at the back instead of theswoosh. But the CW logo (hoop and net) wuz amazing....

McDyess is wearing them in the (short-lived) playoffs now...

Re: Pippen
- I don't know about the whole Foamposite thing, but the Pippen I wuz definitely designed with Sir Pipp in mind. Either Eric Avar or Aaron Cooper designedit -- and Pipp didn't rilly like them. He preferred the full-length zoom, as you mentioned, so the Pippen II went the zoom route. And Pipp did rock theFoam Pro....

anybody know how VC 3's fit compared to other jordan's, nike's....kobes...? help would be appreciated.

VC V did really well, especially in Nets colors.

Pip did rock the Foam Pros for a few games in 1998, but size 17 feet, his style of play, and Foamposite material wasn't a good match.

Originally Posted by VC3FAN

At one of the Season ticket holder events, I asked him quickly about his sigs and he said it is what it is. He thought of going to another brand again or overseas but felt that he was at his best wearing Nike and being loyal to them.

Again, like I said, a change in his game and a shift in age was one of the reasons the line was stopped.
I don't think Vince is upset with losing his sig deal. He still gets free shoes from Nike and they are player exclusives.

What people need to know is that Nike is am image brand. To get a signature shoe, you need to be playing at a certain level, and maintain it. It has nothingto do with age. It has to do with your play. With Vince not showing up for a few playoff games and his inconsistency at times, he lost his deal. Hey, Vinceis a great player but he is not in the same league with Lebron, Kobe or Wade, Chris Paul. And I am calling it out now... Carmelo will be next to lose hissignature deal with Brand Jordan. He will probably still be a Jordan athlete, but won't have his own signature shoe. Carmelo is a great player no doubt,but he is not in the same league as Kobe, Lebron, Dwayne Wade, or Chris Paul. Chauncey goes to Denver and now they are the second seed in the West. And it isChauncey that is mentioned in MVP talks, not Melo. Unless Melo's game drastically changes next 2 seasons (like Dwayne Wades did this season) Melo'sshoe line will stop at 5 or 6.

Originally Posted by Rick Kang

RE: Webber
- I think you're right -- he had issue with his shoes being $120 ($200 Cdn), which he figgered would be too expensive for the kids. Too bad -- the Air Max CW (now the Air Max Sensation) wuz a ridiculously nice shoe. I've got the first Sensation -- which features Japanese characters at the back instead of the swoosh. But the CW logo (hoop and net) wuz amazing....

McDyess is wearing them in the (short-lived) playoffs now...

Re: Pippen
- I don't know about the whole Foamposite thing, but the Pippen I wuz definitely designed with Sir Pipp in mind. Either Eric Avar or Aaron Cooper designed it -- and Pipp didn't rilly like them. He preferred the full-length zoom, as you mentioned, so the Pippen II went the zoom route. And Pipp did rock the Foam Pro....

Going off topic a bit but....

Had the Black/Blue CWs back in summer 95. They crumbled on me around 2003.. much missed.

IIRC, it was Aaron Cooper who designed the Pippen 1, and he claimed that Pippen found the Air Max version too heavy,
but they didn't have time to make the change to zoom before the (retail) version went into production.
Maybe the shoe was rushed, maybe it wasn't and Pippen just changed his mind.

Something similar happened with the Pippen IV.. retail version was Air Max. Pippen's PE had Zoom in the heel.
IIRC, the original concept for the Penny IV didn't have visible air in the heel either (full length zoom?) In those two cases
maybe it was a marketing thing.

At one of the Season ticket holder events, I asked him quickly about his sigs and he said it is what it is. He thought of going to another brand again or overseas but felt that he was at his best wearing Nike and being loyal to them.

I don't think Vince is upset with losing his sig deal. He still gets free shoes from Nike and they are player exclusives.

What people need to know is that Nike is am image brand. To get a signature shoe, you need to be playing at a certain level, and maintain it. It has nothing to do with age. It has to do with your play. With Vince not showing up for a few playoff games and his inconsistency at times, he lost his deal. Hey, Vince is a great player but he is not in the same league with Lebron, Kobe or Wade, Chris Paul. And I am calling it out now... Carmelo will be next to lose his signature deal with Brand Jordan. He will probably still be a Jordan athlete, but won't have his own signature shoe. Carmelo is a great player no doubt, but he is not in the same league as Kobe, Lebron, Dwayne Wade, or Chris Paul. Chauncey goes to Denver and now they are the second seed in the West. And it is Chauncey that is mentioned in MVP talks, not Melo. Unless Melo's game drastically changes next 2 seasons (like Dwayne Wades did this season) Melo's shoe line will stop at 5 or 6.

bro, you might be right. i've heard some rumors on my end as well....

i had the gundam edition on the vc's
i think the shox era is seeing its end
its nothing compared to zoom air comfort

Originally Posted by bohrdom

What people need to know is that Nike is am image brand. To get a signature shoe, you need to be playing at a certain level, and maintain it. It has nothing to do with age. It has to do with your play. With Vince not showing up for a few playoff games and his inconsistency at times, he lost his deal. Hey, Vince is a great player but he is not in the same league with Lebron, Kobe or Wade, Chris Paul. And I am calling it out now... Carmelo will be next to lose his signature deal with Brand Jordan. He will probably still be a Jordan athlete, but won't have his own signature shoe. Carmelo is a great player no doubt, but he is not in the same league as Kobe, Lebron, Dwayne Wade, or Chris Paul. Chauncey goes to Denver and now they are the second seed in the West. And it is Chauncey that is mentioned in MVP talks, not Melo. Unless Melo's game drastically changes next 2 seasons (like Dwayne Wades did this season) Melo's shoe line will stop at 5 or 6.

bro, you might be right. i've heard some rumors on my end as well....

but that not only has to do with his play on the floor.. dude is attracting a lot of bad things and that doesnt help him either.. he'll be dropped so fast,who cares if he is melo? he wont be on JB, look at Randy Moss.. all the talent but lot of bad news. JB will not live long, if CP3 is the only one with asignature shoe.. all jordan can live on is retro's and those idiots that buy team shoes and fusions

It seems like Vince-hate gets way out of hand. I see why the line got dropped, but I wish it didn't. I personally like each VC I-V to some extent, thoughthe II's and III's were amazing.

VINCE CARTERS BIGGEST MISTAKE WAS TO LEAVE TORONTO RAPTORS. LOLZ HIS CAREER WENT DOWN AFTER THAT. WHEN HE WON THE SLAM DUNK CONTEST HE WAS WEARING PUMAS. VINCETHINK HES MICHAEL JORDAN THATS HIS PROBLEM. I GAVE UP ON THE NJ NETS IN 2007 WHEN VINCE CARTER MISSED NUMEROUS JUMP SHOTS VS THE CAVALIERS IN THE PLAYOFFS.BUYIN ALL HIS SHOES DOESNT PROVE ANYTHING, HE DOESNT SIGN AUTOGRAPHS EVEN THOUGH HIS AUTOGRAPH IS NOT WORTH THAT MUCH ANYWAY. HE ALWAYS ACTS LIKE HE DOESNT SEEU WHEN U APPROACH HIM FOR A PHOTO OR AUTOGRAPH.

Back
Top Bottom