Why DID Barry Sanders retire early?

Originally Posted by S4L3

It always depended on Barry come crunch and playoff time, and when the defenses stacked against him, nobody could help
LOL. You people keep acting like Barry played with a bunch of bums or something....

Name me a HOF player that he played with? Name me 3 players that were Pro Bowlers on that same offense? His QB was Scott Mitchell.

He played for an organization that is and was the laughing stock of the L. He never quit on anybody. The Ford family never gave him a shot to succeed and hefelt that retiring was better than killing himself for a losing cause.

Originally Posted by Newbs24

It always depended on Barry come crunch and playoff time, and when the defenses stacked against him, nobody could help
LOL. You people keep acting like Barry played with a bunch of bums or something....

Name me a HOF player that he played with? Name me 3 players that were Pro Bowlers on that same offense? His QB was Scott Mitchell.

He played for an organization that is and was the laughing stock of the L. He never quit on anybody. The Ford family never gave him a shot to succeed and he felt that retiring was better than killing himself for a losing cause.

I-07%20Paul%20Preach.JPG

barry left the team because the lions organization is a joke. the fact that millen is still running things shows how far out of the loop ford is. dudecan't run a team to save his life. barry finally got fed up when bobby ross started calling him out in front of the team for not playing hard enough.

He's a quitter....
I guess you'd say that Mike Vick quit on his team too then...after all, I'm pretty sure that professional league contracts contain someclauses prohibiting a players' partaking in criminal activity.

Barry wanted out. He wanted to be traded. Ultimately, the Lions couldn't make a trade because the cap hit would have crippled the franchise for severalyears. They even asked Tagliabue for an exception, which the NFL refused to grant.

So, then Barry retired...

S4L3 wrote:
What love?
Please. You dudes give Barry a free pass just because he "dazzled" you with his runs and was such a "class act". I would love to see what you people would say if another player just gave up and retired because the team he was on was losing....

Please. You hate on people that aren't on your team because they aren't on your team. I would love to see what you would say if one of theplayers on your team just gave up and retired.

Oh wait... you'd hate on him... because he's retired... and would therefore no longer be on your team.
laugh.gif

Like I said, act like you know that we know you're about as objective as Nancy Grace.

P.S. I see you doged my response about 'quitting' and ;lying', and you were smart to do so. But I'm going to bring it back up anyways.'Quitter' indicates a pattern or quitting. A pattern is based on more than one instance. How was he a quitter again?

'difference between quitting, and quitting while you're ahead.'

he left the game, not quit the game.

Name me 3 players that were Pro Bowlers on that same offense?
1996 Lomas Brown, T
Kevin Glover, C
Herman Moore, WR
Barry Sanders, RB
Anymore questions?

I guess you'd say that Mike Vick quit on his team too then...after all, I'm pretty sure that professional league contracts contain some clauses prohibiting a players' partaking in criminal activity.
What the hell are you talking about?

'Quitter' indicates a pattern or quitting. A pattern is based on more than one instance. How was he a quitter again?
I'm sorry teach. He quit on his team and organization.

He's not a quitter though...

I can ride with that. He did quit on his team and organization.

On the 'Pro Bowlers' point: 1996? One year?
laugh.gif

^ totally off topic ik but i everytime i see ur sig free mike vick i want to ask the question, Do you think torturing animals, escpecially dogs, is alright? idont get it

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

I can ride with that. He did quit on his team and organization.

laugh.gif

I didn't think he would get that one. I knew that Lomas and Herman were Pro Bowlers that year but totally forgot that Barry gave another OLineman a spoton the roster. It is funny that after Barry RETIRED noneof those guys made another Pro Bowl. Must be a coincidence. Couldn't be that they weren'tsurrounded by the best RB not named Jim Brown.

if you want to label barry as a quitter then that's ok because technically he is. dude did walk out on the eve of training camp w/ no warning. yet at thesame time i didn't hear any of the other players on that team calling him a quitter. they all understood his reasons for walking out and none of themblamed him.

and its also refreshing to see that a player actually cared about more then collecting a paycheck and playing only to set some records like another runningback to play during his era.

the guy did offer to payback his signing bonus and forfeit the remaining years on his contract yet the lions decided it would be wiser to let him sit at homeand pay him the remaining 4 years.

Arguably the Best RB ever you call him a quitter?

Quitters don't make it to the NFL

Quitters don't win the Heisman Trophy

Quitters don't win MVP in the NFL

Quitters don't go to 10 Pro Bowls

Stop playing yourself kid

What love?
Please. You dudes give Barry a free pass just because he "dazzled" you with his runs and was such a "class act". I would love to see what you people would say if another player just gave up and retired because the team he was on was losing....

You trying to tell me it's better to pull a Corey Dillon than a Barry Sanders? Corey Dillon said before that he wanted to be a part of the solution inCincy, he owned up to that for a while. Then after numerous seasons of not getting close to a playoff run he demanded a trade. I'm almost certain that hadthe Bengals not granted the trade he would've held out. Barry, instead of holding out, retired. And I applaud him. He didn't pull a Junior Seau who"retired" from the Dolphins, got his payout, then signed with the Patriots after a week or so. I commend Barry because in a way, it still showsloyalty to the city, to the fans, and in a weird way to the ownership.

Scott Mitchell is the best QB Barry Sanders ever played with.
laugh.gif

That's pretty much says it all.

I said once and I'll say it again, I don't understand how you can take anyone who roots for the Cowboys and Bulls seriously as a sports fan.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

See 1990-1998
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?cont_id=23933

Anymore questions about Barry playing with no pro bowlers?

Did any of them make the pro-bowl after Barry retired

True enough, but Lomas, Glover, and Moore were all good players in their own right.(funny to look at that list and think that David Sloan was once aprobowler) Its not their fault that their primes all happened when Barry was around. Being a lifelong Lions fan, I still don't know how I feel about Barryleaving. I think it was smart of him to get out before he had long term injuries. But at the same time, the team did do things to get better.Signing ScottMitchell in hindsight looks bad, but at the time he was the heir apparent to Marino. They also traded for Pat Swilling although that move proved to be terribleas well, he was a probowler at the time.

But Barry Sanders is the best RB to ever play.
indifferent.gif
tired.gif
to all the haters. He had no O line and was still gettin his yards.

Average Joe: "My employer made a commitment telling me that things were going to be a certain way. They told me that if I work hard and do what I do best,the company will treat me right and have a solid plan for growth and success. I believed them and trusted them. They failed on me. They didn't deliver whatthey said they would. Their effort in attempting to do so was MINIMAL at best. I simply wasn't happy. Rather than work for a place that I don't believein, I chose to give up the money and pursue my own path in life. I left the company. It's sad I had to leave my coworkers, but they all understood why Ileft."
Random guy: "Good for you! No man should work at a place where they can't trust their own company and don't believe in what they do. It'sbetter to do something else than something you don't believe in or don't feel the passion for."

Professional sports figure: (says same thing as Average Joe)
Random guy: "QUITTER!!!!!!!!!"

The standard we hold for professional athletes is unrealistic and ridiculous.

man i only have one memory of barry playing and it was on thanksgiiving when some fat guy (i think wayne fontes or something) was coaching and the announcerskept ripping him and how he was being called a bad coach and what not. i wish i was old enough to appreciate his abilities when he was in the league
frown.gif
and i remember bobby ross
laugh.gif
i remember all the coaches they had took serious L's word to martymorninwhig or whatever his name was

Back
Top Bottom