Why DID Barry Sanders retire early?

imaniketalker

Banned
I never understood this. He was that good on a team with no O-line. Was he just like #@@% it i'm done. I dont beleive he got injured, did he?

I thought he was just tired of the organization, questioned their commitment, and was just tired of playing.

I don't know, I could be wrong. I was kind of young when it happened.

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

I thought he was just tired of the organization, questioned their commitment, and was just tired of playing.

I don't know, I could be wrong. I was kind of young when it happened.
Co-sign. Alot of people said it was also because he respected Walter Peyton too much, buy I don't know how true that is

i thought he just got sick of football but it might not be true i was also kind of young

I kept thinking he would return ... he never did ... could have been the greatest imo... i am glad i had a chance to watch him play .. nothing but class offthe field as well

Originally Posted by S4L3

He's a quitter....
Not to knock Barry Sanders, but he was kinda of a quitter not to mention also selfish. For many years after he left the Lions and the NFL alltogether, a lot of people never really understood why he left the game. Everyone all assumed he just got tired of playing. That was all up until he released abook revealing why he really left football.

It was soon to be revealed that he lleft due to the lack of commitment the Lions front office showed. He was sick and tired of all the losing. Putting up thegreat numbers he did, and still coming out of the game with a loss. Instead of being seen as a selfish player, he did'nt ask to be traded, he just left theLions all together. If you really think about it, him leaving football never to come back is selfish all together.

The guy was just a great running back in a sticky situation.

from what i remember he wanted to be traded and the dolphins wanted him but the Lions didnt want to trade him so he ended up retiring.

He was TOLD by the organization that they were banking their success on him, and that they felt that he was good enough to lead them to the promised land.

He tried every year to tell them that won't work.

They tried to tell him he was good enough.

He tried to tell that that won't work.

They tried to tell him he was good enough.

He quit.
S4L3 wrote:
He's a quitter....

Quitter? Hardly, Emmitt fan; hardly.

Did he quit? Yes. But if that makes him a quitter, then you're a liar.

You've lied before, so you're a liar.

^^if memory serves me correctly, I believe he thought about coming back to the NFL with the Dolphins. This was all when the Dolphins picked up Junior Seau andthought to have a perennial super bowl team that year.

You and your hate for anyone not on your teams....

Act like we know you're about as objective as Nancy Grace and Glenn Beck.

Barry was sick of Detroit from what i heard

He was
pimp.gif

Robert Smith who played witht he Vikings was really good too, not as good, but good and he quit early to get his phD to become a surgeon or something...

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

He's a quitter....
If you really think about it, him leaving football never to come back is selfish all together.

laugh.gif
Barry didn't owe anything to anybody. Just because you wanted to see him play longer doesn't make him selfish.
Sure it was disappointing tosee him go but at the end of the day when it comes to your profession you have to do what is in your best interests. He didn't own anything to histeammates. And even if they are mad, that's for them to decide, not the general public, Barry certainly didn't owe US anything.

A great player can only take so much losing. Ask former Pirate players. Nothing ever changed with them. It always depended on Barry come crunch and playofftime, and when the defenses stacked against him, nobody could help

It always depended on Barry come crunch and playoff time, and when the defenses stacked against him, nobody could help
LOL. You people keep acting like Barry played with a bunch of bums or something....

Did he quit? Yes. But if that makes him a quitter, then you're a liar.

You've lied before, so you're a liar.
roll.gif

Seriously though, I don't know if I can say I've seen a more electrifying, fluid football player in my lifetime. Dude would backtrack 4 yards, and justwhen the tackler was gonna get him, he'd elude and pick up 25. I swear, sometimes it looked like trying to tackle a waterfall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqvU5R2EYeE
3:55-4:20...
eek.gif
laugh.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

What love?
Please. You dudes give Barry a free pass just because he "dazzled" you with his runs and was such a "class act". I would loveto see what you people would say if another player just gave up and retired because the team he was on was losing....

What love?
Please. You dudes give Barry a free pass just because he "dazzled" you with his runs and was such a "class act". I would love to see what you people would say if another player just gave up and retired because the team he was on was losing....

I wouldn't have a problem at all if he fell out of love with the game, in fact I would respect him if he just walked away from the game for good.It's a million times better than players requesting trades because their teams are losing.

Back
Top Bottom