who goes to a school thats 30k or more?

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Gotta love Georgia State. Since i aint living on campus yet they are actually payin me to go to school
pimp.gif

EDIT: My bad i know this wasnt what the topic asked, just wanted to lighten the mood since yall dudes are paying alot
eek.gif

college is such a scam and I go to a public university with probably one of the best "bangs for its buck" and have decent grants/schollys

The figures below are estimates for students attending The University of Texas at Austin. Individual tuition bills and living expenses will vary from studentto student. Please visit the Office of Accounting's Tuition and Fee Rates page to learn more.
The tuition and fees estimates provided below represent the range of college/departmental flat rates.
[table][tr][td]Long Semester (Costs are per semester and assume that you enroll in full-time hours.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Tuition/Fees[/td] [td]Books[/td] [td]Room/
Board[/td] [td]Transportation[/td] [td]Personal/
Misc.[/td] [td]Total[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Resident
On Campus[/td] [td]3,835-5,127[/td] [td]400[/td] [td]4,288[/td] [td]470[/td] [td]1,150[/td] [td]10,143-11,435[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Resident
Off Campus[/td] [td]3,835-5,127[/td] [td]400[/td] [td]4,448[/td] [td]470[/td] [td]1,150[/td] [td]10,303-11,595[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Non-Resident
On Campus[/td] [td]8,486-16,406[/td] [td]400[/td] [td]4,288[/td] [td]470[/td] [td]1,150[/td] [td]14,794-22,714[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Non-Resident
Off Campus[/td] [td]8,486-16,406[/td] [td]400[/td] [td]4,448[/td] [td]470[/td] [td]1,150[/td] [td]14,954-22,874[/td] [/tr][/table]

SJU got me for 28k just for tuition + living and utility expenses easily goes up to atleast 40-42k.

Tuition alone is $35k. After housing/expenses its around $52-54k. Thanks for destroying my pockets nyu.
smh.gif

I went to a private school my freshman year and tuition was about 35k. I took out a loan for about 12K that year and then transfered to a state school for mysophmore year and now my tuition is like 6k. Now everytime I get my student loan balance in the mail I almost cry knowing that I have to pay back that 12k Iwasted my freshman year. I know thats pennies compared to most but it was like lighting 12k on fire.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Yall are ridiculous. With few exceptions, that $30k+ isn't getting you anything a $15k school wouldn't.

Don't know how true that is. I just had an interview today, and the recruiter said they came to my school first (USC) and visited the others in the arealater on. He said UCLA was up next, but that he expected to have all his slots filled after these two and didn't see a need to go to other schools. Hisexact quote was "you put certain school's names after your own name, and people are going to want to hire you more than they want to hire others"

Is it ridiculous? Yeah. College is ridiculously priced, regardless of where you go to. But I don't think your statement holds up entirely. Yeah, youdon't have to go to school x or y to get where you want to go (and yeah, lots of successful people don't even go to college), but it doesn't hurt.

The kicker? After getting the offer today, he told me "And we'll pay off your student loans over a two year period"

I can't really complain.

Originally Posted by nologo02184

Yall are ridiculous. With few exceptions, that $30k+ isn't getting you anything a $15k school wouldn't.

Don't know how true that is. I just had an interview today, and the recruiter said they came to my school first (USC) and visited the others in the area later on. He said UCLA was up next, but that he expected to have all his slots filled after these two and didn't see a need to go to other schools. His exact quote was "you put certain school's names after your own name, and people are going to want to hire you more than they want to hire others"

Is it ridiculous? Yeah. College is ridiculously priced, regardless of where you go to. But I don't think your statement holds up entirely. Yeah, you don't have to go to school x or y to get where you want to go (and yeah, lots of successful people don't even go to college), but it doesn't hurt.

The kicker? After getting the offer today, he told me "And we'll pay off your student loans over a two year period"

I can't really complain.
what degree are you getting and what kinda job?

Originally Posted by iShMiKeYaHeArD

Don't know how true that is. I just had an interview today, and the recruiter said they came to my school first (USC) and visited the others in the area later on. He said UCLA was up next, but that he expected to have all his slots filled after these two and didn't see a need to go to other schools. His exact quote was "you put certain school's names after your own name, and people are going to want to hire you more than they want to hire others"

Is it ridiculous? Yeah. College is ridiculously priced, regardless of where you go to. But I don't think your statement holds up entirely. Yeah, you don't have to go to school x or y to get where you want to go (and yeah, lots of successful people don't even go to college), but it doesn't hurt.

I can't really complain.
what degree are you getting and what kinda job?
international relations/global business.

looking into doing consulting.

what school you at?

Originally Posted by lilhen18

Well over 40K/year (just tuition), but I'm fortunate enough to have just about all of it paid for me.

michigan?? my bro goes to michigan business school - 3rd best public businnes school in teh nation is expensive........around 50k for the year

Networks,

Some fortune 500 companies target specific school's career fairs. It's expensive to fly reps/recruiters to every school. You can't tell me that thenumber of companies at Harvard or Yale's career fair per major is the same as your run of the mill public school. Furthermore, those school's tend tohave a smaller student population so your chances for getting to choose between multiple jobs are much higher.

GPA withstanding, sometimes your school name is the difference between having 4 or 5 job offers already on deck before you graduate as opposed to being the guywho has to mass send applications his senior year.

Thats the only justification I can see to paying 30k+ to go to school.

A 3.5 at an IVY league looks a lot more appealing to a company, grad school, med school, etc. than a 3.5 at your cut and paste university of (insert state) or(insert state) (A&M).

I can't really complain.
its not completely about immediately getting a job, its about return on investment, and it is also really dependent on the individual. i went toa lowly state school so i wasnt rolling in job offers after graduation. i had to sling cases of beer for about six months to make ends meet before getting areal job. i now work at a top ten firm in my field with a fairly diverse make up of college educated co-workers, everything from state universities throughprivate and medium tier ivy league. i have absolutely no issues holding my own and outperforming even the ivy league folks. once you get through college andinto the real world the reality will be clear.

Before I was laid off, I worked along with my co workers that went to Syracuse, Brown, NYU, and Ohio State. I went to a state school in Maryland. My tuitionwas cheaper, my student loans were cheaper while we all did the SAME work, SAME meetings, SAME everything, yet they paid over an arm, meg, and foot to go tothese school b/c of the name. Now they are unemployed just like me. I think paying over 40k per year for the same tuition that you can get at a cheaper stateschool is ridiculous. All you are doing is paying for that "prestigious" name on that degree that will NOT get you a job any faster than Jon Doe thatwent to Maryland, Delaware, UVA, or South Carolina. With the recession and unemployment rate skyrocketing, youmight be in for a rude awakening.

Back
Top Bottom