Where would John Stockton rank among the greatest point guards ever?

John Stockton is the all time leader in assist and steals. He's in the top 3 that's for sure.

My list goes...

1-Magic Johnson

2- John Stockton

3- Oscar Robertson.

Overall, I'm taking him #2.

But I've always felt KJ or even Payton at their peaks were better than Stockton at his peak as players, but not as a true PG's.

1 Magic
2 Oscar
3 Stockton
4 West
5 Pistol
6 Kidd
7 Walt Clyde
8 Zeke
9 Archibald
10 Payton

smh at anyone who puts steve nash in their top 10 he's had 3 great season and a bunch of good average ones

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

He'd damn well better be in your Top 3...

Yep.

Top 3 is interchangible though...

Magic, Stock, " "

Whoever you pick....

That avy is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
!!

In my opinion he'd be first. He defined what a PG should be. And there's no chance in hell kidd is better than stockton. Stockton has just abouteverything kidd has (not rebounding), but stockton outdoes kidd in every other stat you would be able to come up with.

Magic I can't say much about because I don't remember his game much. I have no problems putting him or Big O over Stockton, but anyone else is aprobably no. The only other player I'd put up there is Isiah.

Anyone that doesn't have him top 3 needs to leave S&T. It's apparent you're blinded by hate for the man, or have no idea what in the hellyou're talking about.

He's in the top TWO!.. No other way putting it.. Him and Magic is interchangeable to me..

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Anyone that doesn't have him top 3 needs to leave S&T. It's apparent you're blinded by hate for the man, or have no idea what in the hell you're talking about.

I agree with this.

It's the hate for the scrappy white boys

How do some of you have him over Zeke? You must not watch basketball. Stockton never was an all-NBA first team player, never was a top 5 player any season(only finished in the top 9 in MVP voting once), and never won a chip. How can he all of a sudden be a top 3 PG of all-time when he was never considered a top10 player besides in one season during his whole career?

Zeke routinely busted him open when they played and led his team to back to back championships. Stockton wasn't even the best player on his team! I thinkStockton is a legend but He is becoming the most overrated legend. If some of you have Stockton as your number 2 PG of all-time than Karl Malone must be theclear cut best PF of all-time. Without him Stockton would have about 5,000 less assist and no fan fare. He was a good player that played a long time not anamazing player. Hell Kevin Johnson and Gary Payton had better peaks than him. What makes Stockton an all-timer is how long he played at a good level. He wasnever a Walt Frazier level player at his peak.

How do some of you have him over Zeke? You must not watch basketball. Stockton never was an all-NBA first team player, never was a top 5 player any season (only finished in the top 9 in MVP voting once), and never won a chip. How can he all of a sudden be a top 3 PG of all-time when he was never considered a top 10 player besides in one season during his whole career?

i literally hope you are not serious.

Without him Stockton would have about 5,000 less assist

and he'd STILL be the all-time leader by a couple hundred

and we haven't even mentioned that he's the all-time leader in steals as well. i love how you opened that up with "You must not watchbasketball"

Originally Posted by TheKingOfVa

How do some of you have him over Zeke? You must not watch basketball. Stockton never was an all-NBA first team player, never was a top 5 player any season (only finished in the top 9 in MVP voting once), and never won a chip. How can he all of a sudden be a top 3 PG of all-time when he was never considered a top 10 player besides in one season during his whole career?

Zeke routinely busted him open when they played and led his team to back to back championships. Stockton wasn't even the best player on his team! I think Stockton is a legend but He is becoming the most overrated legend. If some of you have Stockton as your number 2 PG of all-time than Karl Malone must be the clear cut best PF of all-time. Without him Stockton would have about 5,000 less assist and no fan fare. He was a good player that played a long time not an amazing player. Hell Kevin Johnson and Gary Payton had better peaks than him. What makes Stockton an all-timer is how long he played at a good level. He was never a Walt Frazier level player at his peak.
Actually, he was selected to the All-NBA first team twice. And how can you say Karl Malone helped Stockton... who's to say Stockton didn't feedthe ball to Malone? Did Malone also help him get steals and shoot the ball well?

And never a top 10 player? ****.
roll.gif

Without him Stockton would have about 5,000 less assist

and he'd STILL be the all-time leader by a couple hundred

and we haven't even mentioned that he's the all-time leader in steals as well. i love how you opened that up with "You must not watchbasketball"

Zeke routinely busted him open when they played and led his team to back to back championships. Stockton wasn't even the best player on his team! I think Stockton is a legend but He is becoming the most overrated legend. If some of you have Stockton as your number 2 PG of all-time than Karl Malone must be the clear cut best PF of all-time. Without him Stockton would have about 5,000 less assist and no fan fare. He was a good player that played a long time not an amazing player. Hell Kevin Johnson and Gary Payton had better peaks than him. What makes Stockton an all-timer is how long he played at a good level. He was never a Walt Frazier level player at his peak.
I would actually argue Stockton is one of the most underrated players of all time. He was the pure definition of point guard. And he playeddefense.

Stockton over Zeke is obviously an argument.....Zeke won chips and Stockton ran into MJ. Both PGs are legends. However let's not slight Stockton when hefinished with two 1st Team selections along with six 2nd Team selections. The man had a nine-year stretch where he went for 13.8, 13.6, 14.5, 14.2, 13.7, 12.0,12.6, 12.3, and 11.2 assists per game. And his CAREER shooting percentage was .515.

I also give HUGE credit to him playing until an older age. My goodness the guy missed 4 total games in his first 13 seasons. Zeke's prime year might topStockton's but Stockton's entire career was a joke really. And Im glad I got to watch him play.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

I would actually argue Stockton is one of the most underrated players of all time. He was the pure definition of point guard. And he played defense.

Stockton over Zeke is obviously an argument.....Zeke won chips and Stockton ran into MJ. Both PGs are legends. However let's not slight Stockton when he finished with two 1st Team selections along with six 2nd Team selections. The man had a nine-year stretch where he went for 13.8, 13.6, 14.5, 14.2, 13.7, 12.0, 12.6, 12.3, and 11.2 assists per game. And his CAREER shooting percentage was .515.

I also give HUGE credit to him playing until an older age. My goodness the guy missed 4 total games in his first 13 seasons. Zeke's prime year might top Stockton's but Stockton's entire career was a joke really. And Im glad I got to watch him play.

Thanks for pointing out he was a 2 time first teamer my mistake. In no way am I trying to say he isn't a legend but it's annoying when people actlike he made Malone when Malone helped him just as much. Malone put up numbers before Stockton was a star. And Zeke was clearly the better player than Stocktonin their primes.

One more note on point guards, I have to disagree with those who rank Jason Kidd above Gary Payton. While Jason Kidd is a better play maker, Gary Payton's superior defense, post up game and better mid range jumper make up for his being slightly less adept at running an offense. Obviously you are going to heavily judge a point guard by his ability to run an offense and pass but you have to look at a player's complete game and being the best perimeter defender in the league for years makes Gary Payton someone who I would rank above Jason Kidd as well as a few other point guards who might be better passers and floor generals.
Depends on how you look at the game.

While you're correct on The Glove's D, I'd still want someone like Jkidd in my team (if I was the coach).

But overall, you can make a good argument on both players.

As for stockton, I can only talk about the 90s really and I'd put him in the 1 or 2 spot.

I love Isiah as a player, he was amazing, and had more guts than anyone I'd ever seen. Very passionate dude. But if I had to choose a PG, I'd chooseStockton. There's really no PG like him, but Paul is starting to look like him, but Stockton is underrated as a shooter.

I like Isiah more as a fan, but I seriously think Stockton was better.

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Be honest. How many of you guys actually saw all of these players play? If you haven't seen them play then how do you rank certain players above others? Doesn't make sense to me...
0a335edcc720e91e4dbf0b1b1ac1a3846ce3dff.jpg

Back
Top Bottom