Where would John Stockton rank among the greatest point guards ever?

My list would go

1. Magic
2. Big O
3. Stockton
4. Isiah Thomas
5. Jason Kidd
I may catch some flack but to each his own

1. Magic
2. Oscar Robertson
3. Bob Cousy
4. Walt Frazier
5. Jason Kidd
6. Isiah Thomas
7. Nate Archibald
8. John Stockton
9. Gary Payton
10. Steve Nash

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

1. Magic
2. Oscar Robertson
3. Bob Cousy
4. Walt Frazier
5. Jason Kidd
6. Isiah Thomas
7. Nate Archibald
8. John Stockton
9. Gary Payton
10. Steve Nash

what makes Jkidd above John Stockton?!
over Zeke too?!

indifferent.gif
at myself for saying "Who's Big O?"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by AJ23ToKB24

John Stockton is definitely in the top 10 greatest point guards ever.
Way to be very vague
laugh.gif
. He'd better be in your top 10 point guards ever
laugh.gif
. For me, he's number 2 for me behind Magic.

Be honest. How many of you guys actually saw all of these players play? If you haven't seen them play then how do you rank certain players above others?Doesn't make sense to me...

I did not see Oscar Robertson play but I know that averaged a triple double in one season and his career averages are close to a triple double. In addition,those who did see him play say that in addition to be well rounded he had the size, speed and scoring abilities as a great off guard. For that reason you haveto consider him one or two along with Magic.

I would agree that John Stockton should be ranked in the top five and possibly as high as third best all time. He was able to run an offense, he could score inbunches and he was a very good defender on and off of the ball.

One more note on point guards, I have to disagree with those who rank Jason Kidd above Gary Payton. While Jason Kidd is a better play maker, Gary Payton'ssuperior defense, post up game and better mid range jumper make up for his being slightly less adept at running an offense. Obviously you are going to heavilyjudge a point guard by his ability to run an offense and pass but you have to look at a player's complete game and being the best perimeter defender in theleague for years makes Gary Payton someone who I would rank above Jason Kidd as well as a few other point guards who might be better passers and floorgenerals.

1. Magic
2. Oscar Robertson
3. Bob Cousy
4. Walt Frazier
5. Jason Kidd
6. Isiah Thomas
7. Nate Archibald
8. John Stockton
9. Gary Payton
10. Steve Nash
indifferent.gif

The guy has 50% more assists, the stat that defines the point guard position, than anyone in the history of the league. His assist total will NEVER be matched.Mankind will probably go under due to a nuclear war/meteor strike/deadly virus/alien invasion/extreme climate change/other apocalyptic possibilities beforesomeone has more than 15.806 assists over an NBA career. The man had five consecutive seasons where he had 1100+ assists. Magic Johnson never had a seasonwhere he had 1.000 assists. There have been 9 1.000 assist seasons in league history and 7 of those are Stockton's, including the top 4. The only PG whoshould without a doubt be ranked ahead of him on all lists is Magic. Isiah and Oscar are debatable.

1. Magic
2. Oscar Robertson
3. Bob Cousy
4. Walt Frazier
5. Jason Kidd
6. Isiah Thomas
7. Nate Archibald
8. John Stockton
9. Gary Payton
10. Steve Nash

roll.gif

1.STOCKTON (went out there and got the %%*##*$ job done! BLUE COLLAR no flashy @+#+!!)
him and Malone were %%*##*$ beasts!!!

1. Magic
2. Oscar Robertson
3. Bob Cousy
4. Walt Frazier
5. Jason Kidd
6. Isiah Thomas
7. Nate Archibald
8. John Stockton
9. Gary Payton
10. Steve Nash

It's opinions like this where I have to remind myself to stop and remember the average age of people in this forum.
sick.gif
laugh.gif

#1 All Time, hands down.

All time leader in assists and all time leader in steals playing in the "Jordan Era" NBA.

Without Stockton, Mailman has 10,000 less career points.

In players I've seen in my lifetime, Stockton ranks #1.

All time, I put him in my top 3 behind Magic and O.

Back
Top Bottom