When did Roof Racks become a trend on cars?

I've been noticing a lot of cars such as honda's, especially lowered suped up civics, suped up integras/rsx's and as well as vw gti's slamed w/crazy offsets all equiped with yakima/thule roof racks, fully outfitted with bike & ski racks but I never once do I see anything mounted. When did thistrend start?

Started a couple of years ago.
laugh.gif

I started noticing it around two years ago. You see it a lot with VW's, Subarus and Hondas.

Originally Posted by sigmakidownz

It only looks good on STi's & Evo's IMO. Mainly because they can drive the terrain.
I've been noticing a lot of cars such as honda's, especially lowered suped up civics, suped up integras/rsx's and as well as vw gti's slamed w/ crazy offsets all equiped with yakima/thule roof

Um.........................

for subarus, i can see why since they are awd and general marketed as outdoor vehicles. i had a yakima on my old wrx and used it every week for mountain bikingor sking during the winter.

When hipsters became a trend on people. Dont forget your rust and luggage. Maybe a couple of bikes might help you as well.

I have one on my Jeep Cherokee.

Thule 725. Holds my skis and fishing rods.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
word ...i wonder why they do that?

I have a Yakima snowboard rack on my FJ Cruiser ...its on during all season (cuz im too lazy to take it off after winter)

It's amazing how much gas that costs you too - I use one a lot for my bike but I try and take it off when it's not carrying anything - I got a goodThule one that only takes a minute to get off.

I get about 5 less mpg with it on so it can really add up.

Originally Posted by kdawg

It's amazing how much gas that costs you too - I use one a lot for my bike but I try and take it off when it's not carrying anything - I got a good Thule one that only takes a minute to get off.

I get about 5 less mpg with it on so it can really add up.
ya, it mess up with the flow ....that why people install airdam on the roof too...too reduce wind noise and some people say helps with the gasmileage *shrug*

didnt know it was a trend...have consistently seen them as far as i remember

Back
Top Bottom