What's good my Asian NTers Vol. Eating at an Asian restaurant

laugh.gif

I would go to lunch all the time with my manager and team lead who were Thai/Viet and Korean and I was always making a fool of myself when trying to eat my food...we stayed at asian restaurants so it was quite frequent.

laugh.gif

I would go to lunch all the time with my manager and team lead who were Thai/Viet and Korean and I was always making a fool of myself when trying to eat my food...we stayed at asian restaurants so it was quite frequent.

Originally Posted by scshift

When I say Oriental I meant East Asian, the cultures with rice and noodles more integrated into their culture, like China, Japan, North/South Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, etc. Didn't want to say Asian and include the Middle East, India, etc.
you can use the term East Asian then.
however, the point semi remains though, not all East Asian cultures have the same food culture... Chinese, Japanese...vastly different from Viet, Thai...

for example...one could even say that Thai food culture is more aligned with Indian food/cuisine than it is with Chinese food.

Lakersfan1 wrote:
Oriental although outdated isn't offensive. Seeing at the region was once referred to as the Orient, Oriental shouldn't be offensive. I've asked all my Asian friends since I've seen the episode of Seinfeld when they used Oriental, if they were offended by it, most didn't care. Just throwing that out there.

Your group of friends are not authoritative group on the word though. While one person may not take offense, many others will
ps. mr. savage is gone

Originally Posted by scshift

When I say Oriental I meant East Asian, the cultures with rice and noodles more integrated into their culture, like China, Japan, North/South Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, etc. Didn't want to say Asian and include the Middle East, India, etc.
however, the point semi remains though, not all East Asian cultures have the same food culture... Chinese, Japanese...vastly different from Viet, Thai...

for example...one could even say that Thai food culture is more aligned with Indian food/cuisine than it is with Chinese food.

Lakersfan1 wrote:
Oriental although outdated isn't offensive. Seeing at the region was once referred to as the Orient, Oriental shouldn't be offensive. I've asked all my Asian friends since I've seen the episode of Seinfeld when they used Oriental, if they were offended by it, most didn't care. Just throwing that out there.

Your group of friends are not authoritative group on the word though. While one person may not take offense, many others will
ps. mr. savage is gone

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Yeah that was my bad, I wasn't trying to be offensive. Again I was generalizing with the cultures and the foods they eat, I was trying to say Asian countries which eat rice and noodles, especially noodles in soup.

Never thought Oriental was offensive though. I guess you learn something new every day

Back
Top Bottom