What is the fastest internet there is?

Originally Posted by NikeFlightposite

I can afford maybe $100 a month or so... I've seen some of you guys with some insane speeds. like 90000kb/s. And what exactly is upload speed? Is it the amount of time it takes to transfer information, like for example when you type in your username and password to log on to NT or gmail?

The fastest you'll get is a top throttled DSL and that's if throttled routers are offered in your area. It really depends on your proximity to therouter. DSL is fast because the routers tend to be close to homes. The company then cheats you by intentionally slowing down your internet and then making youpay for different speeds if you want the full speed capabailities of DSL.

A top throttled DSL> cable modem.

But for alot of people cable modem, DSL. It simply depends on your location. It's funny I'm taking a class on computer networking so if you have anspecific questions especially if their technical in nature, feel free to pm me. I don't know too much about prices and companies because I'm still astudent and don't work in the field, but as far as what to buy for certain price ranges and the engineering behind the internet, I got you.

Upload speed has already be covered by some NTers.

You => Upload = > Server
You <=Download<=Server.

Thats basically it. Logging onto the internet is really a bit more involved. Your computer is constantly sending and reciving packets to fasciliate theseinformation transcations. So you could argue its a combo of both. You upload your information to the server, username, etc and you download the NT page. Thatssuper oversimplified CEO type summary, but you get the gist. It's gets kind of technical from here, so I'll stop.

The absolute fastest internet connection is a fiber optic connection, speed of light. You'll see this under oceans, between continents, across countries.However your speed is typically slowed down by the local coaxial, telephone, and Ethernet lines.

My speed BTW since everyone is posting. It's been slow today, but:

210969599.png
laugh.gif

No its not mine lol....this is mine.
414443398.png

It's running kinda slow right now, I don't know why. (And no, I'm not downloading anything either
laugh.gif
)

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

This is what I have, I've seen some NTers get 90,000 kb/s in the last post you internet speed thread.
those are nters that are posting from work

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

The absolute fastest internet connection is a fiber optic connection, speed of light. You'll see this under oceans, between continents, across countries. However your speed is typically slowed down by the local coaxial, telephone, and Ethernet lines.

My speed BTW since everyone is posting. It's been slow today, but:
how does fiber optic connection work (what do you need) and who has access to it right now.
lol my schools connection is 46000, i would post the picture but i don't know how

Back
Top Bottom