What is a good starting salary directly out of college?

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by jookz

I like all of those majors, but I really enjoy designing, so architecture and aerospace engineering appeal to me especially. I'm not really into the programming and math aspects, so while I know all of those majors require solid math skills, programming is low on my list.

The thing is that I don't love just one of these enough to do it for a very long time if the pay isn't good. I want to try different things in life, so if I can be financially stable early on, I can dip into other fields. Still, I'm open to all of those and more, I'm sure I'd enjoy all of them so I just need to figure out which one is the most stable in terms of finding employment.

!!!  what do you mean designing?  this is a huge misconception.  engineer =/= designer.  look into industrial design, then at engineering.  i'm pretty sure you're thinking of industrial design, when you're saying engineering.  aerospace engineering would require taking courses in things like thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, structural stresses, manufacturing procedures for various materials, etc.
architecture is to civil engineering, as industrial design is to mechanical engineering.  i made this mistake when applying to college.  and if you do want to get into architecture/ID, start a portfolio asap.  i really hope this clears up any misconception between engineering and design for anyone reading this.
True, but engineering does include aspects of design. For example, parts of aerospace engineering would have people designing the craft, keeping into account the aerodynamics, structural rigidity and durability - all things you listed.

In theory, couldn't engineering and design go hand in hand?

in that sense, yeah, you could argue they go hand in hand, but it's very different.  do you know the difference between an architect and a civil engineer?  ask a civil engineer what he thinks about architects.  the typical response is, "all they do is draw stupid pictures".  both "design" but not in the same way, nor for the same reasons.  they serve two very different purposes.  one isn't better than the other.
i'm assuming you're in high school now since you're asking these questions.  if you know any family friends who work as engineers or designers, ask them about what they do at work, visit the workplace, see the culture.  visit a local college, sit in on some engineering classes, sit in on some design classes, sit in on any major you're interested in.  the differences should be very apparent.  do the research now so you don't waste time in school.  school's expensive, and you're only here on this earth for so long.

I like all of those majors, but I really enjoy designing, so architecture and aerospace engineering appeal to me especially. I'm not really into the programming and math aspects, so while I know all of those majors require solid math skills, programming is low on my list.

The thing is that I don't love just one of these enough to do it for a very long time if the pay isn't good. I want to try different things in life, so if I can be financially stable early on, I can dip into other fields. Still, I'm open to all of those and more, I'm sure I'd enjoy all of them so I just need to figure out which one is the most stable in terms of finding employment.

!!!  what do you mean designing?  this is a huge misconception.  engineer =/= designer.  look into industrial design, then at engineering.  i'm pretty sure you're thinking of industrial design, when you're saying engineering.  aerospace engineering would require taking courses in things like thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, structural stresses, manufacturing procedures for various materials, etc.
architecture is to civil engineering, as industrial design is to mechanical engineering.  i made this mistake when applying to college.  and if you do want to get into architecture/ID, start a portfolio asap.  i really hope this clears up any misconception between engineering and design for anyone reading this.
True, but engineering does include aspects of design. For example, parts of aerospace engineering would have people designing the craft, keeping into account the aerodynamics, structural rigidity and durability - all things you listed.

in that sense, yeah, you could argue they go hand in hand, but it's very different.  do you know the difference between an architect and a civil engineer?  ask a civil engineer what he thinks about architects.  the typical response is, "all they do is draw stupid pictures".  both "design" but not in the same way, nor for the same reasons.  they serve two very different purposes.  one isn't better than the other.
i'm assuming you're in high school now since you're asking these questions.  if you know any family friends who work as engineers or designers, ask them about what they do at work, visit the workplace, see the culture.  visit a local college, sit in on some engineering classes, sit in on some design classes, sit in on any major you're interested in.  the differences should be very apparent.  do the research now so you don't waste time in school.  school's expensive, and you're only here on this earth for so long.

I believe the term you're looking for op is artistic talent/artArt deff goes hand in hand w/engineeringBut that "do what u love" crap is bishwa; unless u have a fullride or something, I advise to stay awayYou gotta get a career that will pay that college debt, and if ur like me in ca, it's only getting higher. And it's gonna get higher Many people go to college cause it's " the next step", but major in something that's useless, only to grad, and get a whatever jobIt depends on ur situation, but it's always good to get a career that pays itself over

I believe the term you're looking for op is artistic talent/artArt deff goes hand in hand w/engineeringBut that "do what u love" crap is bishwa; unless u have a fullride or something, I advise to stay awayYou gotta get a career that will pay that college debt, and if ur like me in ca, it's only getting higher. And it's gonna get higher Many people go to college cause it's " the next step", but major in something that's useless, only to grad, and get a whatever jobIt depends on ur situation, but it's always good to get a career that pays itself over

i could never imagine myself majoring in anything related to math or science.

i'm about to graduate with a degree in english, and when i get out i'll go from part time at my job to making 28K a year (publishing), plus whatever i want to charge for freelance work proofreading copy-editing and whatnot.

i'm genuinely excited to be making that much. i absolutely love what i do, i'm pretty young (23), and i'm not even in the big market yet. in about 2-3 years i'll be in a position to demand a better situation. for now, i'm just enjoying the fact that for 28k i set my own office hours, don't have to adhere to any dress codes, i'm learning and moving up in a business that most simply cannot seem to find a way into, and set my life up in an industry that isn't overcroweded due to a million more people looking for jobs than are available.

i could never imagine myself majoring in anything related to math or science.

i'm about to graduate with a degree in english, and when i get out i'll go from part time at my job to making 28K a year (publishing), plus whatever i want to charge for freelance work proofreading copy-editing and whatnot.

i'm genuinely excited to be making that much. i absolutely love what i do, i'm pretty young (23), and i'm not even in the big market yet. in about 2-3 years i'll be in a position to demand a better situation. for now, i'm just enjoying the fact that for 28k i set my own office hours, don't have to adhere to any dress codes, i'm learning and moving up in a business that most simply cannot seem to find a way into, and set my life up in an industry that isn't overcroweded due to a million more people looking for jobs than are available.

and thats why you wont be at 28k for long that attitude will take you further than  a 60k dude punching the clocking doing autocad work miserable

and thats why you wont be at 28k for long that attitude will take you further than  a 60k dude punching the clocking doing autocad work miserable

Oh I get what you're saying. I've done work in the architecture field and I enjoyed it, but I have no experience with engineering.

What do they call the field where you design the planes/vehicles/mechanics on an aesthetic and functional scale, but not the actual materials/something? Like where you create the blueprints/fundamental structures of the crafts, without the engineering aspect? Is that industrial design?

Oh I get what you're saying. I've done work in the architecture field and I enjoyed it, but I have no experience with engineering.

What do they call the field where you design the planes/vehicles/mechanics on an aesthetic and functional scale, but not the actual materials/something? Like where you create the blueprints/fundamental structures of the crafts, without the engineering aspect? Is that industrial design?

stuff

aesthetic or functional?  you can only pick one.  in a very simplified case, the engineer will do the technical design work and develop a base design (probably something ugly, but is super efficient).  the industrial designer will have designed a billion concepts in a different room while this is going on (probably something amazing to look at, but is impossible to make, or incredibly expensive).  they will lay their respective designs on top of each other, and argue until a compromise is made.
you still have time.  go check out the best local engineering school, and the best local design school.  nothing will substitute sitting in on classes, and asking students what they think about their programs.

i'm from toronto, so i'll give you some local links.  one of the more known industrial design schools in toronto is OCAD, here's their site for industrial design:

http://www.ocad.ca/students/records...gn/major_program_guides/industrial_design.htm

here's the u of t mechanical engineering site, one of the top engineering schools in canada:

http://www.mie.utoronto.ca/undergrad/mechanical/streams.php

http://www.mie.utoronto.ca/undergrad/courses/?which=Mechanical

read through the descriptions.  which one sounds like what you're interested in?  do you see yourself excelling at these things?  you'll do your best in what you're interested in.

stuff

aesthetic or functional?  you can only pick one.  in a very simplified case, the engineer will do the technical design work and develop a base design (probably something ugly, but is super efficient).  the industrial designer will have designed a billion concepts in a different room while this is going on (probably something amazing to look at, but is impossible to make, or incredibly expensive).  they will lay their respective designs on top of each other, and argue until a compromise is made.
you still have time.  go check out the best local engineering school, and the best local design school.  nothing will substitute sitting in on classes, and asking students what they think about their programs.

i'm from toronto, so i'll give you some local links.  one of the more known industrial design schools in toronto is OCAD, here's their site for industrial design:

http://www.ocad.ca/students/records...gn/major_program_guides/industrial_design.htm

here's the u of t mechanical engineering site, one of the top engineering schools in canada:

read through the descriptions.  which one sounds like what you're interested in?  do you see yourself excelling at these things?  you'll do your best in what you're interested in.

That makes alot more sense, thanks for the clarification.

I'm really unsure about which one I'd prefer. I've got a creative imagination and lots of experience in aesthetic design, I've been sketching concepts for almost every kind of mechanical device, vehicle, weapon, building, etc. But whenever I do my designs, I always focus on the functionality. I keep in mind which materials work with which structures, the best way to make something lighter/stronger, more efficient.

I'll definitely try and look into the local classes and try and get a feel for it. For me, I'm really obsessive about my designs so I need to make sure they not only look good, but work perfectly, cause to me, something is useless if it doesn't work, and can always look better. So in a way I take a little bit from both design and engineering.

That makes alot more sense, thanks for the clarification.

I'm really unsure about which one I'd prefer. I've got a creative imagination and lots of experience in aesthetic design, I've been sketching concepts for almost every kind of mechanical device, vehicle, weapon, building, etc. But whenever I do my designs, I always focus on the functionality. I keep in mind which materials work with which structures, the best way to make something lighter/stronger, more efficient.

I'll definitely try and look into the local classes and try and get a feel for it. For me, I'm really obsessive about my designs so I need to make sure they not only look good, but work perfectly, cause to me, something is useless if it doesn't work, and can always look better. So in a way I take a little bit from both design and engineering.

Back
Top Bottom